Player Discussion Jaroslav Halák

False Start

May 8, 2018
Lets she how Halak does against some offenses that actually know how to score lol. So far PHI is the best scoring team he's faced...they rank 20th in the NHL.

It's the same thing every year. Tuukka's haters come crawling out when the backup plays well for a few games.

I'm not doubting Halak's ability. More like I think Rask will rebound like usual and the backup to regress towards the average.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It's the same thing every year. Tuukka's haters come crawling out when the backup plays well for a few games.

I'm not doubting Halak's ability. More like I think Rask will rebound like usual and the backup to regress towards the average.

I posted it in one of the other threads, but if you look at Tuukka's career splits, he always starts out slow and then gets hot for a few months. He'll then stumble just after the new year and then turn it on again for the last few months of the season.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
People need to pump the brakes a little. There is a reason Halak was available when he was and signed for what he did. There is also a reason Tuukka went on a 19-0-2 stretch last season. Halak was already a solid goalie and a wise signing with Dobby gone. If he plays above his career avg -- then awesome! Rask is still a very good goalie, who has started slow again. All great goalies go through slumps. Rask has shown he is a great teammate come whatever may. Halak was signed knowing his role, and has done a tremendous job. No damn goalie controversy here other than in the minds of some fans and the media. Bruce is going to do what he feels puts the team in the best position to win, and both goalies will be fine with the split duties that will likely happen. Rather than treat the situation as a problem, I see it as a big time advantage. Love both these goalies!

Reactions: Dr Hook

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Halak can play #1 minutes.He is not really a backup like you refer to him as.He has 2 shutouts already and a .933 save% and that cannot be ignored either.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
As usual Cassidy knows how to use the talent his players have for the best advantage . He'll get the most out of both goalies . Great tandem , best in the NHL

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't know why this is a surprise or hard for people to understand.

Khudobin put up good numbers with the Bruins, left for a good paycheck and put up bad numbers on teams with bad defense (CAR + ANA), then returned and struggled until the switch of coaches allowed for the Bruins to switch to a more modern defense, at which point Khudobin put up great numbers again. It's only been 2 games but he is back to struggling, this time with Dallas, who are not know for their defensive structure.

Halak put up great numbers for Montreal when they had a good team with good defense (a decade ago); with St Louis which always has good defense; and with Washington during his brief tour there. The outlier was his recent time with the Islanders who have bad team defense. Baring a run of injuries, there is no reason to think his solid play won't continue.

If the disparity continues between Halak and Rask into November, Halak may go down as the only goalie to steal the starting job from Price (09-10) and Rask (18-19).
Halak was very good his first two years as an Islander and last season although not statistically good was still the best net minder on the team.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Somehow similar situation with Halak, as his time in St. Louis Blues. But the positions changed. He is now backup, what was Elliot in his time in St. Louis Blues. And the Blues had then the best GAA in the league.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
only 6 games but I know who Im going with as a starter from now until he cools off.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: NDiesel and Silva

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
only 6 games but I know who Im going with as a starter from now until he cools off.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I’m not disagreeing that Cassidy go with the hot goalie, but I’m curious what Rask’s stats look like minus the Caps debacle, which IMO was on the team, not Rask.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I posted it in one of the other threads, but if you look at Tuukka's career splits, he always starts out slow and then gets hot for a few months. He'll then stumble just after the new year and then turn it on again for the last few months of the season.

Then he is about 2-3 games on 1 game off in the playoffs.

Reactions: Silva

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
People need to pump the brakes a little. There is a reason Halak was available when he was and signed for what he did. There is also a reason Tuukka went on a 19-0-2 stretch last season. Halak was already a solid goalie and a wise signing with Dobby gone. If he plays above his career avg -- then awesome! Rask is still a very good goalie, who has started slow again. All great goalies go through slumps. Rask has shown he is a great teammate come whatever may. Halak was signed knowing his role, and has done a tremendous job. No damn goalie controversy here other than in the minds of some fans and the media. Bruce is going to do what he feels puts the team in the best position to win, and both goalies will be fine with the split duties that will likely happen. Rather than treat the situation as a problem, I see it as a big time advantage. Love both these goalies!

The problem is never the Rask stretch of amazing hockey...

...the problem is always when it occurs and when he lets that save % drop below .900 in a series of games.

Reactions: BMC and Silva

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
No one is disputing that Rask is a very good goalie! Just not worth 7.25 mil when Halak is making like $15 bucks per hour and performing better!

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Ride with jaro is what I say . He might take us first to the Atlantic division.

First its "he will take us to the promised land" which I assume is the cup.

Now it's he might take us to first in the Atlantic.

Before you post, you should read all your previous posts so you can make sure you aren't talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I’m not disagreeing that Cassidy go with the hot goalie, but I’m curious what Rask’s stats look like minus the Caps debacle, which IMO was on the team, not Rask.
I saw his stats without that game somewhere but can't quite remember where, - I want to say it was during a recent game - and it was basically identical to Halak's stats up to that point.

I generally agree with what most are saying here, ride Halak until he isn't hot anymore. If he plays like this all year then that's fantastic, but chances are he regresses and Rask returns to form.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Lets she how Halak does against some offenses that actually know how to score lol. So far PHI is the best scoring team he's faced...they rank 20th in the NHL.

Isles fan in peace. I wanted to see what you guys thought of Halak.

He has a history of playing well when he's the underdog and has something to prove. Send him to the minors and call him back, or demote him to second string, and he'll look like Brodeur reincarnated. When he's established as the starting goalie and gets comfortable :help:.

He probably gained a lot by facing constant two on ones last year. I'm sure the game looks a lot slower to him this year.

I'm pulling for him because I want Boston or Tampa to knock off Toronto, but he was maddening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad