Player Discussion Jaroslav Halák

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I don't know why this is a surprise or hard for people to understand.

Khudobin put up good numbers with the Bruins, left for a good paycheck and put up bad numbers on teams with bad defense (CAR + ANA), then returned and struggled until the switch of coaches allowed for the Bruins to switch to a more modern defense, at which point Khudobin put up great numbers again. It's only been 2 games but he is back to struggling, this time with Dallas, who are not know for their defensive structure.

Halak put up great numbers for Montreal when they had a good team with good defense (a decade ago); with St Louis which always has good defense; and with Washington during his brief tour there. The outlier was his recent time with the Islanders who have bad team defense. Baring a run of injuries, there is no reason to think his solid play won't continue.

If the disparity continues between Halak and Rask into November, Halak may go down as the only goalie to steal the starting job from Price (09-10) and Rask (18-19).

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
im the first guy to say you don't get a goalie controvery after 5-7 games

I will pat myself on the back for being very happy about the halak signing... and telling people here khubodin really wasn't that good last year... that we had a much much much better backup now

but I think we are honestly entering the area where we might have to say we don't have a true number 1

reminds me a bit of the andy moog/reggie lemlin days. I wanted to say moog was 100 times better than lemilen but the results didn't really back that up and we ended up with a 1/1a situation

it looks kind of obvious now that the coach is thinking hes going to rotate the goalies at least for now... halak has started a couple games now that should have gone to rask if rask was going to be a 55 game guy

and honestly after rask played well last game I thought theyd throw him right back in and let his confidence go on a roll... that's what you do when you have a clear cut number 1

halaks pedigree is 100 times better than khubodin. halak has been viewed as a started his entire career. he ended up left out to dry by the bad islander team. this bruin team is the best teams hes ever played on imho...

I hate to say it... but we might have a true legit goalie controvery about to rear its ugly head.

im a HUGE rask supporter and my money says he rises up to the challenge and has a monster season... but for today, right now... I got to give the props to halak. hes been damn damn good this first 10 game stretch and today he is the goalie I would be starting if playoffs started tomorrow... wow

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Should be a 50-50 split which I think is best for both guys neither is young both have been in the league for a while I don't see any controversy or anything its October not April.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If the Bs can go through the season with both goalies playing like a number 1, then have the luxury of using two goalies in the playoffs it would be tremendous. I don't care how much one makes, I just want the Bs to win games. Halak so far has been simply great. This duo could end up being something special provided Rask gets things going, which I fully believe he will. Sweeney did well in picking up Halak.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Should be a 50-50 split which I think is best for both guys neither is young both have been in the league for a while I don't see any controversy or anything its October not April.
Agree on the 50/50, but would Tuukka? Egos sometimes stand in the way of what could be a good thing.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Agree on the 50/50, but would Tuukka? Egos sometimes stand in the way of what could be a good thing.

Not sure Tuukka is that kind of guy. Its not like hes going to ask for the start next game vs Washington he'll probably do whatever he can to make sure starts the game before/after and not that one.

Rask was solid last year overall but was terrible early on prior to Khudobin's hot streak which got him going. He plays better when the other goalie is playing well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not sure Tuukka is that kind of guy. Its not like hes going to ask for the start next game vs Washington he'll probably do whatever he can to make sure starts the game before/after and not that one.

Rask was solid last year overall but was terrible early on prior to Khudobin's hot streak which got him going. He plays better when the other goalie is playing well.

competition is a great motivator

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

Yeah, he upped his game when Khudobin played so well. We'll see. Seems like a good problem to have.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
And to think, there were concerns about him being signed originally....

I am very glad he's here. Rask could use some pushing and nudging. Lord knows it'll help both of them

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Excellent performance. Made a few of those odd man rushes look like routine pillow saves

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
halak will finish the season with better GAA and SV% than rask

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Also glad 6 games is enough to crown either.

As well, Halak last two times as the full time #1, pretty poor. Back up load? Much better.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Also glad 6 games is enough to crown either.

You beat me to it, though my response is more along the lines of "so what if he does?" That is great for us as a team. But 6 games in never stopped Haggs from imagining a goalie controversy either.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins Notes: Bruce Cassidy Details Goaltending Plan After Jaroslav Halak Wins Again

It’s too early for a full-fledged goaltending controversy in Boston, but the chance of one taking place is gaining steam — and fast.The Bruins blanked the Philadelphia Flyers 3-0 on Thursday at TD Garden, and Jaroslav Halak delivered another quality performance between the pipes. He made 26 saves (six on the penalty kill), including a couple beauties when the game was in the balance.Tuukka Rask still will get the start Saturday night against the Montreal Canadians, but the result of that game could force head coach Bruce Cassidy into making a decision on the immediate future of his goaltending situation.Rask owns 3-2-0 record with a .901 save percentage. Throw out the Opening Night fiasco against the Washington Capitals in which he allowed five goals on 19 shots, and he is 3-1-0 with a .924 save percentage. Halak, meanwhile, is 2-0-2 with a .933 save percentage.Not even taking numbers into account, Halak has looked better.Slow starts aren’t uncommon for Rask. It even happened this time last season and resulted in Anton Khudobin getting primary netminder duties for a few weeks in November. Once Rask proved he deserved his spot back, he posted a 19-0-2 record beginning with a big win over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Nov. 29. Rask had a .941 save percentage in that stretch and didn’t lose a game in regulation again until Feb. 10.So are we wandering back into that territory?“It could, absolutely,” Bruce Cassidy said, via a team-provided transcript, when asked about getting to a point where goaltending plans don’t require prior scheduling, rather just riding the best man at the time. “We do that at the start of the year for — we’ve done it here for years and just to work Tuukka’s starts in because he’s been the number one. But if Jaro’s able to push him and if and eventually take the job if and when that happens then we’ll look at that. We’re going to try to keep it as balanced as possible early on, and then like we said if one separates himself from the other like every other position here then we’ll allow that to evolve.”

Reactions: Silva

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Love Halak so far, he's been exactly what you want in a backup in the small sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad