Player Discussion Jaroslav Halák

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Rask is on a thin thread line this year he knows it management knows it you know it I know it. If he struggles this year it's bye bye. They gave him enough chances. I love rask but his time is running out and he has a lot of value right now and can be flipped for a bounty. We have Halak now and vlader seems like an excellent prospect and his time will come..

Goaltenders typically do not have big value on the trade market and even if they did trade Rask for this "bounty" you're fantasizing about, who or what does it bring back and since you're so convinced after 2 games that Jaroslav Hasek is your starter, what's your plan for a backup goaltender?

Reactions: hrdpuk

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
3. I thought I was the only one that noticed this. Didn’t want to draw attention to it.

Borderline that guy from Beetlejuice. Helmets must be difficult to size right

OldDecimalIndianabat-size_restricted.gif

He does seem to be wearing a chest protecter

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I've very, very curious to see 20-25 games out of Halak with a good team in front of him.

A few things I have noticed so far...

1. His puck handling is miles better than Tuukka's.
2. He's fantastic when there's a scramble in front of him. It looks like he's always in position.
3. He has a tiny head.
4. He battles.

1. Agree with you, although I feel like Rask has been better this pre-season/start to season in playing the puck. Maybe Jaro is helping him in that area
2. I think it helps that he's "bigger" than Rask in that he's actually heavier, but shorter. When those scrambles happen, he's hard to push around and seems to stay in control
3. I was thinking the same thing and that he looks like he could be a bad guy in a James Bond movie
4. I think this is one thing that I've liked the most. He seems like he's always battling and doesn't give up on a play.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
oh, he is a different guy than the one who has been in the league for years? did the Bruins know that when signing him?

Same guy

You cant expect him to pull miracles in front of tha AHL Islanders team last season

He is a sound goalie, quick, confident...but a small weakness is top shelf due to smaller size

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
played well yesterday but he`s a guy that teams have been fooled by before, handing him some solid $$ for inconsistent performance. I think the backup role might be perfect for him, won`t have to carry the weight solely.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He was great for the run and gun Isles last year, he is that good, great signing.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
the Bruins and JetBlue have a ridiculous twitter promotion where fans get to pick the star of the game out of two preselected choices. when I wanted to vote for Moore....not an option. I wanted last night's choices to be Halak and Nordstrom, as I was having trouble picking one. Pastrnak won. anyway, great start to the season for Halak. here's to seeing plenty of him like that.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if your 30 year old journeyman backup becomes your starter... you have some serious problems and are not headed towards the playoffs. teams that try to get by with these goalies that have 'little hot streaks' like philly and dallas and the islanders don't get playoff goaltending

of course we could bail on rask after 2 games or we could remember his stats over the last 8 years are the best in hockey and basically the best in history

the ONLY time it would be a consideration to go with halak over rask is if rask struggled in his first few PLAYOFF games. as a regular season goalie rask is money and if he does struggle you throw him back in so he can work through his struggles

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
if your 30 year old journeyman backup becomes your starter... you have some serious problems and are not headed towards the playoffs. teams that try to get by with these goalies that have 'little hot streaks' like philly and dallas and the islanders don't get playoff goaltending

of course we could bail on rask after 2 games or we could remember his stats over the last 8 years are the best in hockey and basically the best in history

the ONLY time it would be a consideration to go with halak over rask is if rask struggled in his first few PLAYOFF games. as a regular season goalie rask is money and if he does struggle you throw him back in so he can work through his struggles
Halak was a starter for both Monreal and the Islanders, he is not a journeyman or a lifetime backup. I don't know if he or Rask will have the better season, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a 1A and 1B situation Halak is a much better goalie than Khudobin.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Halak was a starter for both Monreal and the Islanders, he is not a journeyman or a lifetime backup. I don't know if he or Rask will have the better season, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a 1A and 1B situation Halak is a much better goalie than Khudobin.
Overlooked signing for sure!

Mtl should have kept him over Price in hindsight haha

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

khubodin is barely an nhl goalie and halak has been an inadequet starter for some bad teams so definitely a huge upgrade

halak had some amazingly good numbers back in st louis... in montreal… its not a new thing for him to have a few good games but the second these teams tried to rely on him they got disappointed and that was 10 years ago when he wasn't entering his mid 30s. when we signed him I was very happy... good signing... huge upgrade on khubodin. but it was a backup we were signing

I fully expect outstanding numbers as a backup. we are a very good team and we will make any goalie look great. hell we made khubodin look good for half a season. but its not regular season goals against of 2.3 or save percentage of .920 we care about... its playoffs.

we need to have rask ready for playoffs

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Can’t a backup goalie playing well ever just be a good thing instead of a “controversy”?

It’s either you have a terrible backup or a terrible controversy. Just let it be the good thing that it is.

Yeah but guys like Haggs have to get clicks so his employer can get advertising revenue and pay Haggs so Haggs can eat. Thus, they gin up a controversy. It disgusting, but it is the way our world is at the moment. On the plus side, I am sure the Bruins don't see a goalie controversy brewing and neither do most of us here, 'cause there ain't one! :laugh:

James Walker

Sep 28, 2017
NHL games played:

Halak: 452 -- with 43 shutouts.
Rask: 452 -- with 41 shutouts.

Let the best man win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad