Jaromir Jagr to finish 35 games short of all-time record

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Definitely in consideration for the greatest RW ever. But as a winger I have to place him below similar centers and the best goalies of all time.

Uhhh, there’s this Crosby guy. He’s done pretty well for the franchise.
Yeah his name is Sidney Crosby, I'm glad you follow your hockey! However, Sidney Crosby is not the best Penguin player, that goes to this other player you may have heard of named Mario Lemieux.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I always said if Jagr had not gone to Europe, he would have been the only player besides Gretzky to hit 2000 career pts in the NHL

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
You would be hard pressed to find a Penguins fan that feels Jagr is ahead of Crosby when it comes to contributing to the franchise.
That's possible given all the recency bias people seem to suffer from these days and Crosby has probably been on more "better" Pens teams than Jagr and has benefited from that, but in terms of better player individual vs individual its Mario > Jagr > Crosby.

Last edited:
Reactions: someguy44 and tomi2

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Definitely in consideration for the greatest RW ever. But as a winger I have to place him below similar centers and the best goalies of all time.

He doesn't have an argument over Howe, but he's in the convo for 2nd

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
He has stated playing in the KHL and the lockouts helped prolong his career.
BS. It was having sex with 20 year old Czech models that sustained Jagr all these years.

But seriously, considering the hundreds of Czech women he has had sex with, he didn’t bother to father a single son. If Michael Nylander and Keith Tkachuk both have two sons selected in the first round, Jagr could’ve fathered the entire 2019 Czech U20 WJC team (with different women, of course). What a disappointment.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Imo Sid still has work to do if he wants to catch up Jagr as the second greatest Penguin ever. He still has time so I wouldnt count him out , but it would require at least couple of top 3 art ross finishes, or/and another Smythe.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Sorry

May 18, 2005
That's possible given all the recency bias people seem to suffer from these days and Crosby has probably been on more "better" Pens teams than Jagr and has benefited from that, but in terms of better player individual vs individual its Mario > Jagr > Crosby.

I was there for Jagrs prime in Pittsburgh. While Crosby’s teams had better goaltending and defense, Jagrs teams were built around top heavy offense in the DPE. They were trying to play firewagon hockey when the rest of the league was clogging the neutral zone. It didn’t work in terms of winning in the playoffs but it provided some very entertaining games as well as some insane individual stats for Jagr. Not that Jagr wasn’t insanely talented, and with his giant legs, was made for that era.

If you wan to compare them solely on Art Ross trophies, okay, then it’s Jagr.

If you want to go on everything else awards wise, it’s Crosby.

I’ve been a Penguins fan for 30 years. If I could’ve had a prime Crosby or a prime Jagr post 04-05 lockout, it’s Crosby, easily. Jagr had more physical talent, but was lacking the characteristics that make Crosby such a great player. Crosby set the tone for the Pens to win multiple cups. And they have. Jagr set the tone for the Pens to have Kip Miller force feed him pucks so his ego would be appeased.

It’s not even close, really.

If anything, it’s who is the third best Penguin: Malkin or Jagr.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I was there for Jagrs prime in Pittsburgh. While Crosby’s teams had better goaltending and defense, Jagrs teams were built around top heavy offense in the DPE. They were trying to play firewagon hockey when the rest of the league was clogging the neutral zone. It didn’t work in terms of winning in the playoffs but it provided some very entertaining games as well as some insane individual stats for Jagr. Not that Jagr wasn’t insanely talented, and with his giant legs, was made for that era.

I’ve been a Penguins fan for 30 years. If I could’ve had a prime Crosby or a prime Jagr post 04-05 lockout, it’s Crosby, easily. Jagr had more physical talent, but was lacking the characteristics that make Crosby such a great player. Crosby set the tone for the Pens to win multiple cups. And they have. Jagr set the tone for the Pens to have Kip Miller force feed him pucks so his ego would be appeased.

Mario > Jagr > Crosby.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007

Are you really Penguins fan if you really entertain that thought?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Man that sucks he was definitely one of my all time favourites to watch. If only he didn’t go to the KHL between 2008-11, there would’ve been zero doubt that he’d have the games played record as well as easily surpassing the 2k points mark.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It's sad on some level I suppose, but at the same time we're talking about keeping Gordie Howe at the top of a major record. That's not a bad thing.

Likewise I'm not really sure why I would want to see anyone pass Howe or Gretzky for goals or points. The occasion would be interesting, but it would be a bit like having Hank Aaron pass Babe Ruth for the home run record, or Emmitt Smith passing Walter Payton for the NFL rushing record, or if Karl Malone had managed to get up to #1 in the NBA scoring list. Nothing wrong with Aaron or Smith or Malone or Jagr, but they're just not the same kind of cultural icon.
I think watching Barry Bonds (a proven steroid user) pass both Aaron and Ruth as the all time HR “king” was a lot worse imo.

Watching A rod surpass guys like Griffey Jr, Mays and Thome on the HR list was also a ‘bleh’ moment, which is why seeing him fall just short of 700 was quite satisfying tbh

Last edited:

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
You would be hard pressed to find a Penguins fan that feels Jagr is ahead of Crosby when it comes to contributing to the franchise.
Who was the equally good player on his team when Jagr was dominating the league without Mario? Who was the other Art Ross caliber player on the Penguins at the time??? Jagr is the most dominant forward, not named Gretzky-Lemieux-Howe, in the history of this sport.

People act as if Sid has done it all alone and it's an absolute joke. Malkin has 2 damn Art Ross trophies to his name, a Conn Smythe, a Hart, a Ted Lindsay.

Sid and Malkin have been battling each other since Malkin has been in the league. And lots would argue that Malkin is the superior player... that said he's had injury issues. Except his rookie season, everytime Malkin has player 70 games or more, he beat Sid and Ovi in terms of production.

Can you imagine if Jagr had another Art Ross/Hart/Ted Lindsay caliber player on his roster at the time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Future GOAT

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Jagr has 3 more Art Rosses than Crosby does

is Colton Orr better than Guy Lafleur?

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Pointless and irrelevant record. He played in the KHL, missed a lot of GPs because of those lockouts....

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Pointless and irrelevant record. He played in the KHL, missed a lot of GPs because of those lockouts....
I don't really care about the record but Howe retired for two years then played six seasons in the wha before his last season in the nhl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad