Jaromir Jagr to finish 35 games short of all-time record

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I am not blaming the Flames, just stating the facts. It was unfortunate time of events. I believe Jagr would have gotten a long chance on the 1st line if he had not been injured.

And you call "minor injuries" on a guy who came out and played for the Rangers with a severely injured shoulder and could not get up first time he fell down on the ice.

I dont know how you can say its minor injuries if it keeps Jagr off the ice for a month, as he has barely missed any games earlier in his career.

What I wrote was the true facts about the season and those facts clearly contributed to Jagrs "decline" as you speak of.

Think Flames coach and GM put it better:

'WE THANK HIM'

:banghead: what in the world does jagr being injured with the rangers almost 15 years ago have to do with his injuries this year?

i get and appreciate jagr. i'm 55 years old and i play in a league full of guys in their 20's and 30's. i've had to adapt my game but i also now play in a lower division then i did as a younger man.

we get it, jagr is your idol and now he's gone. face it, he has.

all you're doing now is projecting what might possibly have happened. maybe, possibly, could've, would've, should've. it's not exactly meaningful.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Kinda funny some posters questioning the dedication or work ethic of a guy playing in the NHL as a 45 year old, who also happens to be widely recognized as one of the hardest training players in the sport.

One of the all time legends no doubt. He lead the league in scoring 4 consecutive seasons in his prime and some of those were with quite some separation. I remember one season in particular because Selänne was also in contention - Jagr missed a lot of games and won the Art Ross anyway - I checked the statline, 63gp - 42+54=96 ... that's a Marioesque thing right there, there haven't ever been many players in the league who could out score their opposition playing almost 20 games less. He was a beast in his prime and still a very good player in his late 30s / early 40s.

Reactions: Lesky

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
He hung on too long.

Why? Jagr was doing what he loves the most in this life - playing hockey. Also still at a high level and was well paid and maybe had more fun ever, fully appreciation the privilege to play in the NHL.

2015-2016

GP 79
Goals 26
Assists 39
+/-: +23

Jagr was 5th in the league in even strength points.
----
2016-2017
GP 82
Goals 16
Assists 30
+/-: +6

Jagr was 4th in the league in even strength assists.

Why would ANYBODY ANYTIME consider to retire with these stats?

And pretty impressive even strength stats for a 45 year old. With people saying he cant skate, still one of the best even strength players in the league.

Even putting up great plus/minus numbers on a terrible Florida team.

Why do people think its should have been obvious for Jagr to retire? On what basis? Its beyond absurd why people say that.

Jagr was seen on a regular basis working out in the Panthers gym for 2 hours immediately after games, when the other players went straight home, he was dedicated to his fitness and almost played 2 straight 82 games seasons.

With hindsight, Jagr should have told the Flames he needed 1 month to prepare himself like he usually does to avoid injures instead of being rushed and pushed into shape quickly in different training manners than he is used to.

Maybe he should have signed with the Blues instead? Or told Florida in the summer he would play for 500 000$?

But please, dont come here and pretend you could predict the future, its a joke. Nobody has a crystal ball.....

Jagr and the Flames did the right thing, and Jagr got injured sadly, and that was the end of his NHL career. But if he had stayed healthy with a full pre-season it could have been an entire different story.

Reactions: Vikke

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
2.5 years is a long time when you're over 4 decades years old. lol.

Jagr was 4th in league last season in even strength assists while playing with 13 different players on the Panthers 1st line - on a HORRIBLE Panthers team.

How do you purpose teams signing free agents to reason? If not judging by the last 1 or 2 seasons?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He was amazing to watch growing up in Pittsburgh. I still remember how ticked off I was after the Pens gifted him to the Caps for a bunch of idiots.

I hope the Pens retire his number. I’m just disappointed I didn’t get to see him play one last time in March when Calgary plays in Pittsburgh.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Kinda funny some posters questioning the dedication or work ethic of a guy playing in the NHL as a 45 year old, who also happens to be widely recognized as one of the hardest training players in the sport.

Yeah. Its absurd. People claiming Jaromir Jagr not willing to pay to the price to play and not willing to train. I never thought I hear that one.

Its not true. Jagr was training daily at Floridas training facility in may, june up to july 1st and l free agency to prepare for next season, he had been promised a contract with the Panthers after the expansion draft.

Then Bob Boughner was hired and said he did not want Jagr on the team regardless of his salary, and after that I assume Jagr could not train specificly for NHL or European hockey which is a different type of style since the size of the rinks. He also could not train with a team and did not have a training camp.

Also, Jagr had no pre-season games and was starting to get the rust off, when he got hurt. Then he came back too soon and it all went downhill from there

Flames decision to sign him was a good one, if they had signed him in the summer, it could have been a different story.

Just unfortunate events. I dont blame Jagr or the Flames, he played almost 82 games, 2 seasons in a row.
---
If Jagr had got his Florida contract I am sure he would put up 30-40 points easily. He fit in great there and the weather was great for his body. A shame Florida ended what could have been the most fascinating time in NHL history.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Another Jagr topic? He was a great mercenary but not someone you wanted leading your team.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Another Jagr topic? He was a great mercenary but not someone you wanted leading your team.

Yeah, Jagr just came in and alone ended the Rangers playoff drought at age 33 and carried them for several seasons. Lead the Panthers in scoring and lead them to the division title and playoffs at age 44. Captained a useless Penguins team to the playoffs every year when Lemieux retired - winning the Art Ross playing with scrubs like Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina. Without Jagr these Penguins team never makes the playoffs. Jagr never had the supporting cast to do any damage in the playoffs when Lemieux retired, thats a fact.

Last edited:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
No he's right, jagr admitted he hasn't been training in offseasons lately

Yeah, surely no summer training for Jagr the last year or few years as suggested by some people in the thread.

Plekanec on Jagr summer training:

MONTREAL -- Jaromir Jagr has a God-given gift, but it's what Jagr has done day in and day out with that gift that has made him such a special player.

So says Montreal Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec, who shares Jagr's hometown of Kladno in the Czech Republic and trains with the 45-year-old forward on and off the ice during the summer.

Plekanec figures that Jagr will play "at least another couple of years" with Kladno, and he's looking forward to seeing a legend whom he sees as an inspiration during off-season training this summer.
"I'm always excited to practice with Jaromir," he said. "You always learn so much from him when you just sit down and talk to him. I'm looking forward to it again."

Plekanec slumped in 2008-09 with 39 points, following a terrific 2007-08 in which he had 69 points in 81 games. Back home in the summer of 2009, Jagr counselled his countryman and helped to get his career back on track, and Plekanec responded with a bounce-back 2009-10. He had 70 points that season, an NHL career high.
Plekanec on Jagr: 'He's a hero'

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Pretty close to Gretzky all things considered. Lost 2 seasons to lockouts and 3 to KHL. Would of had goals record over 900. Been probably around 2,300 points. All in much lower scoring era.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Pretty close to Gretzky all things considered. Lost 2 seasons to lockouts and 3 to KHL. Would of had goals record over 900. Been probably around 2,300 points. All in much lower scoring era.

This is what most people do not recognize. Isnt Jagr and Selanne the only players on the top 20 list in scoring to not start their careers in the 80s? If Jagr had started his career when Lemieux did or even when Wayned started, his numbers would be much more impressive, no doubt.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
What's loyalty got to do with breaking a record? Some of the bs being spewed on here is rather comical.

How can we hate on a player that has shown nothing but humility, love and passion for the game of hockey?

Cuz he ain't a good ol' Ontaria boy from Kingston.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm a bit torn. On one hand I think Howe somewhat deserves to keep the record which is cool.
At the same time, I'm kind of sad to see Jagr getting forced out and I wouldn't mind seeing him play more.
He is Jagr though, so maybe he'll be back in a couple years. ;)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The 2 lockouts he had no control over, however I think there will always be a question of what his total stats would look like if he never went to the KHL?

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
This is what most people do not recognize. Isnt Jagr and Selanne the only players on the top 20 list in scoring to not start their careers in the 80s? If Jagr had started his career when Lemieux did or even when Wayned started, his numbers would be much more impressive, no doubt.

Thornton is #16 if you mean points. Iginla is #15 and Ovi is #20 if you mean goals. But, yes, Jagr had an amazing career. One of the all-time greats.

Last edited:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Part of me hopes the rumours of him going to Europe to get his legs back under him then coming back to Calgary are true. But if this is truly the end then its not a bad way to go.

What a career. And at the end of the day, I have a Jagr jersey in my favourite team that isn't a lie or jersey foul.

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
I'm not gonna miss this old washed up Jagr besides maybe his personality, but I do miss the late nineties Jagr a lot these days. A professional and dedicated athlete, but still a character with a rock star aura and justified swagger on the ice. They don't make them like this anymore.

Devil

Jan 31, 2018
Jagr is not a team player, not a leader. Lemieux won two cups for him 27 years ago and after that, Jagr has not won a club title. The only thing he was good at was changing the teams and picking up points in regular seasons in weak teams.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Thornton is #16 if you mean points. Iginla is #15 and Ovi is #20 if you mean goals. But, yes, Jagr had an amazing career. One of the all-time greats.

And Sakic. Even taking away the points he got from his two 80's seasons he's still ahead of Selanne and fewer games played.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Jagr was a sideshow in his later years, like Chelios. Meh.

To enlarge upon that, Older players without legit NHL foot speed are not really complete players. Employing legends is an exercise in nostalgia and marketing. If a younger player has greater mobility (possibly to back check?) and a balanced game what further consideration is needed?

Last edited:

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
Jagr is not a team player, not a leader. Lemieux won two cups for him 27 years ago and after that, Jagr has not won a club title. The only thing he was good at was changing the teams and picking up points in regular seasons in weak teams.

Jagr was a sideshow in his later years, like Chelios. Meh.

We all love Jagr, but you're not helping his legacy by making up fictional things like this.

:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad