Jaromir Jagr to finish 35 games short of all-time record

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Jagr went straight to hospital from airport in Czech republic to check on his injury.

Jagr facebook - explaining the knee injury (NOT groin) that kept him sidelined

"Hello HR, here I'm sending a photo. It's still from the plane, but I'm already home. So it is a message for some journalists who are still at the airport to be able to go home ... And they can tell the others. I apologize to them for using another gate, but I have nothing to say to them. But the main reason I am writing on the FCB is that I want to inform my fans and people who want to go see hockey for their next steps. What do I plan to avoid being disappointed ... A lot of them do not know how things are, so I want to explain a little. There was a crazy fool that I did not expect. Anyway, I thank everyone for interest. But I want those who already bought or thought about it to know what it looks like to me. This afternoon I will go to Professor Kolar, because it is now the most important thing for me to find out how I am. How I will heal and how long it will last. The problem is that more than two months ago I started to bend my knee. I did not just want to wait for what was going on, so I was playing on, just letting out of the water. But maybe it's getting worse. The problem is that my leg will always undercut at a certain angle, my muscle will turn off. Which is stupid especially for me when I had a game based on personal duels. So now I want to see Pavel Kolar.

I still believe I will come together in some way before the WSM League starts playing play off. It's a little uncomfortable now for me because of the rules I have to play fifteen matches. That's why I'm writing to you now, my fans. Nowhere is it written exactly how many minutes I have to play, so I want you to know that it can happen when I can not play more that I will start from the beginning for just two turns. Because I was not a month on ice, I was just one day to slip. So I can not say how I'm going to do it in the future. And I do not want people to be upset to buy a ticket to an old grandfather and see how he'll be belhat ... Because the main reason I have to jump is to have the match played ... That's why I'm writing it here. To know what my plan is. But of course, everything can change from day to day. Thank you for your understanding. I believe that I will know much more tomorrow at a press conference in Kladno tomorrow, because with Professor Kolář we will definitely think of a plan to continue. That we are going to some better way that I will inform you and the journalists."

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005

"In a message to his fans on Facebook, Jagr said one of his knees started to get swollen two months ago and his condition has not improved. He said he skated only once in the past month and wanted to consult a leading local expert, Pavel Kolar, on that problem."

Not much reason for the Flames to keep Jagr around in that condition.

I was certain there was a much bigger problem than his groin which usually only stopped him for a few games. Time to put away the shovels and not bury Jagr completely yet...

Reactions: CrypTic

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
You can tell that Jagr's mobility was severely hampered by some ailment. Your game doesn't just fall off of cliff overnight the way some were assuming.

Jagr had actually looked pretty fast in the first few games he had played in with the Flames. It seems everyone orgot that game in which Jagr kept pace with Gaudreau on that rush up the ice play?

Time and time again in Jagr's career, he's made critics, doubters and detractors eat crow. After the 2013 finals run with the Bruins in which he was seriously snakebit (I count 7 posts he hit during that run), everyone thought he was done. What does he do, he follows it up with a 67 pts season for the Devils at the tender age of 42, in the process leading them in scoring by 17 pts, also finishing as a +16, leading the team in that category by a margin of +13. This was also after missing all of training camp with an injury, and srarting the season with just 1 goal and 3 pts through the first 10 games of the season. Needless to say, at age 42, he becomes the oldest NHL player to lead his team in scoring. His 67 pts placed him in the top 20 scorers of the league, shall I repeat that he was 42?

He resigns with the Devils for the following season. Things don't look so good for Jagr suddenly, the GM fires their coach who seemed to have really striken up a good working relationship with Jagr. Jagr goes from averaging 19 minutes a game to suddenly being relegated to the 4th line, and barely seeing any PP time (his average icetime had dropped to 11 minutes a game). Jagr was looking slow, old and down and out. It had seemed like at the age of 42-43, Father Time had finally gotten a hold of old man Jagr. Then something happened, he gets traded to a young, inexperienced, but full of potential Panthers team at the trade deadline. The result is a 19 pts in 20 games finish for Jagr, and a Panthers team that suddenly looked like was ready to take the next step.

So with that being said, it was only natural that Jagr would resign with the Panthers.

What Jagr would do in 2015-16 for the Panthers is nothing short of amazing. In 79 games, at age 43-44, he would break the record that he owned himself of becoming the oldest NHL player to lead his team in scoring. This time his numbers were even more impressive than his first season with the Devils. 27 goals, 66 pts in 79 games (pace of 70 pts), for the Division champs Panthers team. His performance would not go unnoticed as he would finish 7th in Hart voting. Do I need to repeat that a the end of that season he was 44 years old?

Starting to see a pattern here?

Whenever Jagr was supposed to finally be done, finally have the game pass him by, he would prove everyone wrong. I have no doubt in my mind that he will do it one more time. Jagr will not be pushed out of the league, he's going to go out on his own terms.

None of this would have been a discussion btw had Jagr not been injured in the manner we now know to be quite serious. From the explanation given about his injury, heck someone like Gaudreau or even McDavid who rely on speed and shiftiness to play the game would have looked slow on the ice with the very same combination of injuries; knee, thigh and groin combo.

We haven't seen the last of Jagr in the NHL. He may be back in time for the playoffs to help the Flames. This was not a true player waivers/ player dump. He was loaned to his team that he owns so he can rehab and get back into game shape.

Reactions: Faterson

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Pretty close to Gretzky all things considered. Lost 2 seasons to lockouts and 3 to KHL. Would of had goals record over 900. Been probably around 2,300 points. All in much lower scoring era.

Gretzky and Jagr had NHL careers that overlapped 9 seasons from 1990 to 1999.

GPGAP
Gretzky640217661878
Jagr662345517862
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So I guess Jagr was pretty close to the second half of Gretzky's career. They were the top two scorers during that 9 season span. Jagr was maybe a little underappreciated during his prime because it didn't seem as impressive after watching Lemieux and Gretzky dominate for years.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Gretzky and Jagr had NHL careers that overlapped 9 seasons from 1990 to 1999.

GPGAP
Gretzky640217661878
Jagr662345517862
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So I guess Jagr was pretty close to the second half of Gretzky's career. They were the top two scorers during that 9 season span. Jagr was maybe a little underappreciated during his prime because it didn't seem as impressive after watching Lemieux and Gretzky dominate for years.

Can I ask you something? When we talk about Crosby, McDavid or Ovechkin, we talk about how had they played in the 80's, they could have rivaled Gretzky and Lemieux. So then why can't we make the same argument for Jagr?

While scoring was higher from 1990 to 1993, Jagr spent those first 3-4 seasons getting 4th and 3rd line minutes so he never really benefited from the higher scoring NHL. 90% of Jagr's career was spent in a low scoring environment.

If any player could have scored 160 pts in a season in the 80's or early 90's, it's Jagr.

Last edited:

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007

After returning home, Jaromir Jagr says he’s far from finished

Very interesting article. Jagr himself says he's still hungry, and wants to prove he has something left in the tank. Folks, we haven't seen the last of Jagr. In fact the article says the Flames might still use him in the playoffs.

There’s a chance, if he gets healthy enough, that he could be recalled by Calgary for the NHL playoffs. But that was far from his thoughts, he said.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
He'll be back. But at his age, training and keeping up with the pace of today's game takes a bigger toll as cell regeneration slows to a crawl as we get older. I'm sure by the time 60 he'll be able to clone himself and transfer his consciousness and continue playing. Or maybe they'll finally let robots into the league...

Reactions: Lesky

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005

---
“Love, as I can see it, is the strongest energy on earth,” “I love hockey all the time, I’ve always loved it, and had no problem to sacrifice anything to it. That’s the most important thing, a factor that helps you play as long as possible.” - Jaromir Jagr

Reactions: qwerty

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Messier is the actual leader in NHL games, because unlike with scoring statistics it makes no sense to separate out regular season and playoffs.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
In this context, username checks out :thumbu:
Not really, second highest in points, put up insane numbers in one of the most (if not) competitive decades ever, the 90s, an amazing long lasting career with all the accolades imaginable in both the league and the international scene

The most overrated players are:
1) All Canadians who aren't Lemieux, Gretzky or Orr
2) All of the top players from the OS era

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Since this thread got bumped....is Jagr retired, or not yet?

I know he wanted to keep playing in the NHL. I feel as though it's not impossible, as he was clearly injured towards the end when he couldn't keep pace. With better health he might still be able to help a team somewhat.

Is he playing at all this year outside of the NHL, or done for good?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Since this thread got bumped....is Jagr retired, or not yet?

I know he wanted to keep playing in the NHL. I feel as though it's not impossible, as he was clearly injured towards the end when he couldn't keep pace. With better health he might still be able to help a team somewhat.

Is he playing at all this year outside of the NHL, or done for good?

It is imposible. No one will give him an NHL contract. He's done.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
And BTW, Jagr finished 35 games short only because of his love of cold, hard cash. Don't feel bad for him. He made 36 million tax free in Russia in exchange for not having that record.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Damn was he a great player. Better in his prime than anyone playing currently imo. Legit top 10 player ever. (I rate him 10th).

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty close to Gretzky all things considered. Lost 2 seasons to lockouts and 3 to KHL. Would of had goals record over 900. Been probably around 2,300 points. All in much lower scoring era.
He has stated playing in the KHL and the lockouts helped prolong his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad