Jaromir Jagr to finish 35 games short of all-time record

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Eh, I dispute the "Era" comment. Jagr did that once in the cap era, and it was in the 2005-2006 season when offensive stats were way-up.
Crosby's #'s are fantastic, and if not for injuries would have beaten the 123 points. IMO, he's better and more complete than Jagr in his prime (Cropsby had 120 the year after Jagr had 123 points FYI)

You base that on what? Assumptions and your own desire to believe in it. Crosby has never proven it. Why? Because he cant. Jagr in his prime would smoke a chump like Benn.

Oh yeah, and Jagr dominated when he also had to contend with players hanging on his back and doing ANYTHING to try and stop him. Plus he managed to stay healthy during that era, which is astounding.
Sid wouldnt have been able to hack it, as we can see playing in a much softer era he can barely hack it.

Backhandbeauty

Dec 28, 2018
Did you forget that Jagr played a good part of his career in the no defence era. Everyone's numbers were inflated.
I'm talking about the earlier part of his career when the scoring was a lot higher.
You only posted stats for a shirt period of his career. You didnt even post the season which was his highest in offensive production. You also have forgotten that Hus early numbers were probably inflated playing on a line with Lemieux. Your argument doesn't hold water.
He only played 4 seasons before scoring started going into a free fall. Try again,homeskillet.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
You base that on what? Assumptions and your own desire to believe in it. Crosby has never proven it. Why? Because he cant. Jagr in his prime would smoke a chump like Benn.

Oh yeah, and Jagr dominated when he also had to contend with players hanging on his back and doing ANYTHING to try and stop him. Plus he managed to stay healthy during that era, which is astounding.
Sid wouldnt have been able to hack it, as we can see playing in a much softer era he can barely hack it.

Crosby can barely hack it? What universe are you living in? Sid has dealt with his fair share of physicality and has thrived. I can say without much doubt there is very little separating the two in terms of talent. I get that someone named JJ68 would think Jagr is better but I don't see any reason to discredit Sid. For all the hype he has lived up to the billing and that's pretty rare in sports. Much like Jags he is extremely difficult to separate from the puck. I don't see him having any problem adapting to the 90's style of play. To me, Crosby drives the offense more than Jagr ever did for the Penguins and is well ahead of him in terms of defense. So I'll take Sid but it's a good debate between two of my favorite athletes.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Jagr over Crosby as a Penguin is a flat out bad take. Jagr has nothing on Crosby except offensive Peak.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
People just don't understand how dominant and special Jagr was. Top 5 forward of all time. Greatest European forward in NHL history AINEC.

Art Ross winners

1980-81Wayne GretzkyEdmonton Oilers
1981-82Wayne GretzkyEdmonton Oilers
1982-83Wayne GretzkyEdmonton Oilers
1983-84Wayne GretzkyEdmonton Oilers
1984-85Wayne GretzkyEdmonton Oilers
1985-86Wayne GretzkyEdmonton Oilers
1986-87Wayne GretzkyEdmonton Oilers
1987-88Mario LemieuxPittsburgh Penguins
1988-89Mario LemieuxPittsburgh Penguins
1989-90Wayne GretzkyLos Angeles Kings
1990-91Wayne GretzkyLos Angeles Kings
1991-92Mario LemieuxPittsburgh Penguins
1992-93Mario LemieuxPittsburgh Penguins
1993-94Wayne GretzkyLos Angeles Kings
1994-95Jaromir JagrPittsburgh Penguins
1995-96Mario LemieuxPittsburgh Penguins
1996-97Mario LemieuxPittsburgh Penguins
1997-98Jaromir JagrPittsburgh Penguins
1998-99Jaromir JagrPittsburgh Penguins
1999-00Jaromir JagrPittsburgh Penguins
2000-01Jaromir JagrPittsburgh Penguins
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

^That's what we call real dominance^

2006-07Sidney CrosbyPittsburgh Penguins
2007-08Alex OvechkinWashington Capitals
2008-09Evgeni MalkinPittsburgh Penguins
2009-10Henrik SedinVancouver Canucks
2010-11Daniel SedinVancouver Canucks
2011-12Evgeni MalkinPittsburgh Penguins
2012-13Martin St. LouisTampa Bay Lightning
2013-14Sidney CrosbyPittsburgh Penguins
2014-15Jamie BennDallas Stars
2015-16Patrick KaneChicago Blackhawks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
^None of these greats were able to string together 2 Art Ross wins in a row. And before you start crying about injuries, Jagr won an Art Ross despite missing 19 games. That's what we call dominance.
2016-17Connor McDavidEdmonton Oilers
2017-18Connor McDavidEdmonton Oilers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
^The next truly great player. The most dominant player since Jagr at his peak.

Last edited:

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Really wanted to see him hit 2k points and get the games record. Sucks that he's so close to both when he's finally starting to wear out. If only he didn't go to the KHL
Starting to wear out??
Talking about a guy who’s prime was before I graduated high school.. over 2 decades ago. I’m not a huge fan of Jagr the personality but damn, he dominated the NHL highlight reel for years. Underated player IMO. As to games played record, I couldn't care less.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Possibly top 10? He's arguably top 20.

What entitlement does he have that he just deserves something? It's questionable if any team even retires his number.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a long time.

He is ranked just behind Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe with 5 Art Ross trophies. At the same time he is no. 2 in points and no 3. in career goals all time.

Reactions: Future GOAT

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm clearly talking about 97 to 2001, when Lemieux did not play for 3 years and finally came back.

Look what Jagr accomplished when a shell-of-his-former self Lemieux came back in 2001. The amount of points Lemieux put up in his comeback doesn't matter, if you actually watched him play, you'd know he was a shell. Just like the Jagr that put up 123 pts in 2005-2006 was a shell-of-his-former-self.

I did watch him play since 1984. A lot of times in person. You do get that this would have translated into a 140 point season had he played the entire year? That would have blown Jagr's total right out of the water. Now, if you want to say he wasn't '91 or '92 form, sure, but to call him a shell after being out of the league for 3 plus years & then coming back & putting up 76 points in half a season. He then put up 17 points in 18 playoff games that spring. Again, this isn't the definition of a "shell" player.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
trade, free agent signing, whatever....semantics. He still left due to Jagr...

:laugh:

When [mod]?

EDIT: I realize that you wanna remain the opposite of well-informed, but for anyone who cares, Francis signed with the Hurricanes because they offered him a five-year, $20.8 million contract at the more-than-ripe age of 35.

No-one, Pens included, was gonna give him that.

Also, he had played ten seasons as a Whaler, so he knew the organization pretty well.

If you're suggesting Jagr ran Francis out of Pittsburgh (the Pens were at the verge of bankruptcy btw), you need a shrink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Future GOAT

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
:laugh:

When [mod]?

EDIT: I realize that you wanna remain the opposite of well-informed, but for anyone who cares, Francis signed with the Hurricanes because they offered him a five-year, $20.8 million contract at the more-than-ripe age of 35.

No-one, Pens included, was gonna give him that.

Also, he had played ten seasons as a Whaler, so he knew the organization pretty well.

If you're suggesting Jagr ran Francis out of Pittsburgh (the Pens were at the verge of bankruptcy btw), you need a shrink.

Since I lived in Pittsburgh at the time & closely followed the team, yeah, I remember Jagr's antics very well. He was a slightly less version of Antonio Brown. Everything the team did was to placate Jagr. That isn't even in dispute...

Last edited by a moderator:

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Since I lived in Pittsburgh at the time & closely followed the team, yeah, I remember Jagr's antics very well. He was a slightly less version of Antonio Brown. Everything the team did was to placate Jagr. That isn't even in dispute...

You followed them so closely you don't even know Francis was not traded, yet you know for sure everything the team did was to keep Jagr happy. And it is not even in dispute. Urban legends never are.

Dude, how on Earth would have anyone -- Jagr included -- managed to hypnotize an NHL organization to obey their fancies like that? Are you suggesting owners and general managers of NHL teams are borderline stupid?

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
You followed them so closely you don't even know Francis was not traded, yet you know for sure everything the team did was to keep Jagr happy. And it is not even in dispute. Urban legends never are.

Dude, how on Earth would have anyone -- Jagr included -- managed to hypnotize an NHL organization to obey their fancies like that? Are you suggesting owners and general managers of NHL teams are borderline stupid?

Now I'm confused. You're either arguing that Jagr dragged mediocre Penguin teams into the playoffs single-handedly and was the sole reason they saw any success (and consequently had them by the balls)... or you're not. Which is it?

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Now I'm confused. You're either arguing that Jagr dragged mediocre Penguin teams into the playoffs single-handedly and was the sole reason they saw any success (and consequently had them by the balls)... or you're not. Which is it?

He definitely used both hands while doing so, therefore he was too busy to have anyone by the balls.

So yeah, you're confused.

To keep it simple. This not a question whether Penguins were dependent on Jagr, but how big (if any) advantage he took of it.

I mean, if Pens fans are about to start scapegoating Jagr for being so good he made them paranoid he might have been machiavellistically pulling the strings, you guys should get together and sue him for some shrink money. Jagr is pretty charitable, has a great sense of humor and all. The problem is, you will have to prove it. And demagogy won't do.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
He definitely used both hands while doing so, therefore he was too busy to have anyone by the balls.

So yeah, you're confused.

To keep it simple. This not a question whether Penguins were dependent on Jagr, but how big (if any) advantage he took of it.

I mean, if Pens fans are about to start scapegoating Jagr for being so good he made them paranoid he might have been machiavellistically pulling the strings, you guys should get together and sue him for some shrink money. Jagr is pretty charitable, has a great sense of humor and all. The problem is, you will have to prove it. And demagogy won't do.

Just curious... are you under the impression that professional sports teams don't make personnel decisions and financial commitments revolving around their most profitable assets' preferences and desires, to placate them?

Last edited:

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Just curious... are you under the impression that professional sports teams don't make personnel decisions and financial commitments revolving around their most profitable assets' preferences and desires, to placate them?

I'm under the impression that whatever decisions professional sports teams make, be it at the whim of their pampered stars or just bored owners, athletes themselves are definitely not responsible for those. Athletes don't execute their teams' agendas anywhere but on the pitch, ice and grass.

Unless you bring about Craig Patrick, Ron Francis and ideally Jaro Jagr with all of them agreeing, "yeah, Jaro wanted a C and we decided the best way for that to happen was not to resign Ronny (on resigning whom we had no money anyway)", your speculation is tinfoil-hat-worthy.

I mean, this is speculation based on impression based on momentary need to come up with just about anything.

EDIT: Btw I do believe that the late nineties Jagr could be a major pain in the butt, but I totally don't buy he was behind the Pens not offering a new contract to Francis. If anything, Jagr was benefitting from playing with Ron.

Last edited:

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I'm under the impression that whatever decisions professional sports teams make, be it at the whim of their pampered stars or just bored owners, athletes themselves are definitely not responsible for those. Athletes don't execute their teams' agendas anywhere but on the pitch, ice and grass.

Unless you bring about Craig Patrick, Ron Francis and ideally Jaro Jagr with all of them agreeing, "yeah, Jaro wanted a C and we decided the best way for that to happen was not to resign Ronny (on resigning whom we had no money anyway)", your speculation is tinfoil-hat-worthy.

I mean, this is speculation based on impression based on momentary need to come up with just about anything.

Do I think Jagr is the reason Francis left? No.
Do I think the Penguins did everything they possibly could to satisfy Jagr. Yes.
Do I think you understand what it's like to be a fan of the team at that time, and read what we read, hear what we heard, see what we saw, and not feel like we were hostages on some level? Definitely not.

Speaking of Machiavelli... in the spirit of becoming "well-informed", here's a very small taste of what it was like back in the day:
Looking back on Jagr trade: Starkey from '01

I mean, if Pens fans are about to start scapegoating Jagr for being so good he made them paranoid he might have been machiavellistically pulling the strings

We aren't "about to start scapegoating" him... it was a pretty cut-and-dry case-closed conclusion, as evidenced the moment we traded him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad