Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Virtanen has a shot that will beat NHL goalies. I'd love to see him get more time with some line mates that can set you up. Virtanen and Pettersson could complement each other very nicely if they clicked. Hopefully with the Sedins retiring we'll see some real experimentation happen with the lines.

He has not demonstrated the accuracy control necessary to consistently beat an NHL goaltender. It's a pretty big part of why he only has 17 goals in 140 games.

Reactions: Catbug

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He has not demonstrated the accuracy control necessary to consistently beat an NHL goaltender. It's a pretty big part of why he only has 17 goals in 140 games.

To his credit he has hired a shooting coach and a stick handling coach this off season

Reactions: Luckylarry

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
He is guilty of wasting some shots when he tries to rush the puck and the chance he was looking for gets closed off. He's got a good release and a hard shot though. Accuracy could be better but I think there's a good chance he'll correct that. The most important thing is he needs to work on his instincts for finding lanes and soft spots in the defense once the play settles into the attacking zone. Could be wishful thinking but he might just need a line mate that can make it really simple for him and take advantage of his tools. Sort of like Bure telling Odjik to go to the post and put his stick on the ice.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Virtanen's shot and skating are clearly quite good. Problem is he's tracking to have offensive awareness to rival Brandon Sutter.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think his shot is still pretty decent, but he struggles to get into prime scoring locations. As a junior he could often beat defenders with his speed or power but this isn't working for him at the NHL level. So he takes a lot of sharp angled shots, gets angled off behind the net or gets in so tight to the goalie that all he can really do is shovel the puck forward. Working on stick handling and being more deceptive should help. It will also help to have linemates who play at the same pace as him, so he has more passing options off the rush.

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
20/40 if he gets consistent top 9 minutes and pp time. 12/28 if he gets the same deployment as last year.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Virtanen's shot and skating are clearly quite good. Problem is he's tracking to have offensive awareness to rival Brandon Sutter.
This is so depressing to read I hope he proves you wrong this season. Not a jab at you just depressed as you might be right. I'm hoping he sees some time with Pettersson and Roussel on a line. I see them doing well creating room for Pettersson and scoring a few themselves with Petterssons play making.

Reactions: lindgren

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
20/40 if he gets consistent top 9 minutes and pp time. 12/28 if he gets the same deployment as last year.
Pretty much this, and no reason he cant be in our top 9. He earned it and if is true hes really KILLING it this summer then NOONE should be worried about it

Reactions: iceburg

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Ok. Let’s take where he was picked out of the equation. Kids not an NHL player regardless.

You said

“If he can figure out .... If he can put together this and that , If this happens”

IF he was gonna do any of those things there’s 95% chance it would have happened by now.

Cue the guys digging up the stats of the odd Draft+5 player that broke out now ...

"Revelation" is a bit much, granted, but he certainly didn't suck. He showed a lot of promise in the last 10-15 games or so. If he can figure out how to effectively utilise his speed and combine that with his physicality he has a chance to become a solid player. You could see his confidence growing in the latter stages of the season and I'm expecting a big improvement from him next season.

If he stagnates then he's entering bust territory. But as of now he's still young and still has potential. The pick is done. We can go on and on about hindsight and how we should have picked differently but there's zero point in dwelling on that now. Instead the team has to figure out how to develop him effectively so that he can be a part of this group going forward. He has the tools to do it.

CanucksSTM

Mar 8, 2018
Was talking to Jake Saturday night at a concert and he seemed to have zero worries about his contract. Said it's getting worked out and should be done soon. I'm guessing 3 x 2.25M

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I guess as an 18 year old kid in junior he should have had all the maturity in the world to figure out all the answers in his career.
If this is being sarcastic then i totally agree with you mocking the quoted poster :laugh:

Hes out to lunch lol

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Was talking to Jake Saturday night at a concert and he seemed to have zero worries about his contract. Said it's getting worked out and should be done soon. I'm guessing 3 x 2.25M
Cool. Which concert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad