Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He’s really not a great 3rd liner.

Says the guy who hates Boeser lol

Virtanen is a fine 3rd liner at this point. Sure not a 6 overall but a sure middle 6 NHLer. Yes, we are hopeful that he will improve on an annual basis as he is young, and is at the age when many NHLers generally improve on their weaknesses, got a problem with that? :shakehead

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Are you still mad Schroeder didn’t pan out? I’ve just moved on from the fact that he was a bad pick and try to appreciate the player he is. Besides, we still have Juolevi to complain about
Different level of expectations between a 22nd overall pick (Schroeder) and a 6th overall pick (Virtanen) or 5th overall pick (Juolevi). Or even say a 24th overall pick (McCann) which we dealt (along with a high 2nd round pick) for a #6 right side D that is always hurt.

He’s really not a great 3rd liner.
Still too early to make that call whether he's going to be a good (or bad) 3rd liner. Clock is ticking though.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
what if Jake were to play with Roussel and Gagner on the 3rd line? I want him in the top 6 as much as anybody but he had some decent chemistry with Gagner at some points playing together last season. and the idea of both Roussel and Virtanen throwing big hits out there.... damn

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Think that this is the season to push more out of Jake.
Cant keep throwning him down the depth chart.I want to see him on the first or 2nd line.As far as in conserned Eriksson is a bust and should be 3rd or forth line.I am a Jake fan,so want to see all the best for him,,dont want the bust lable on him.Think this kid has big upside..

Would love to see a line of Roussel - Pettersson - Virtanen at some point this season with the eventual move to a Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen line. Think Virtanen (IF he can put it all together) is the type of winger that would be prefect for Elias. Big, physical, fast, gritty who will clear some space for him, back up the D and pot a few goals to boot.

Look at the players Elias played with in Vaxjo, always did the best with some skill/grit on his line. Brendan Shinnimin was great working with Pettersson.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Would love to see a line of Roussel - Pettersson - Virtanen at some point this season with the eventual move to a Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen line. Think Virtanen (IF he can put it all together) is the type of winger that would be prefect for Elias. Big, physical, fast, gritty who will clear some space for him, back up the D and pot a few goals to boot.

Look at the players Elias played with in Vaxjo, always did the best with some skill/grit on his line. Brendan Shinnimin was great working with Pettersson.
I would like to see Pettersson with Roussel and Virtanen as well. They could open up room for him and both can pot a few goals with his play making skills.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
A comparison:

- Chris Kreider broke out in his D+5 season, putting up 37 points in 66 games. 12 PPPs, 25 ES points.

- During his D+4 season, he put up 23 points in 48 AHL games, and 3 points in 23 NHL games.

- Virtanen is entering his D+5 season.

- Comparing the two, I think you would have to favour Virtanen's D+4 season. Where he put up 20 ES points.

- A 5 ES point bump and some PP time could see Virtanen get close to Kreider's numbers this year. Granted, Kreider did it in 66 games. Still, it's worth noting given how Virtanen finished the year and the similarities in their play.

I hope Virtanen gets some power play time this year.

Last edited:

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
A comparison:

- Chris Kreider broke out in his D+5 season, putting up 37 points in 66 games. 12 PPPs, 25 ES points.

- During his D+4 season, he put up 23 points in 48 AHL games, and 3 points in 23 NHL games.

- Virtanen is entering his D+5 season.

- Comparing the two, I think you would have to favour Virtanen's D+4 season. Where he put up 20 ES points.

- A 5 ES point bump and some PP time could see Virtanen get close to Kreider's numbers this year. Granted, Kreider did it in 66 games. Still, it's worth noting given how Virtanen finished the year and the similarities in their play.

I hope Virtanen gets some power play time this year.
I have to disagree with you on the PP time. Jake’s ability to reverse the play and make a power move to the net is better suited to the PK

Feb 24, 2017
I have to disagree with you on the PP time. Jake’s ability to reverse the play and make a power move to the net is better suited to the PK
F2098B8A-8C8C-4E30-B2D8-1F56504AAE9E.gif

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

You wouldn't give him 2nd unit PP time? With how bad this roster is, if he's not given PP time, then he's never going to get it.

All the young players should be getting PP time. Why not? It's not like this team is overflowing with talent.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You wouldn't give him 2nd unit PP time? With how bad this roster is, if he's not given PP time, then he's never going to get it.

All the young players should be getting PP time. Why not? It's not like this team is overflowing with talent.

I don't think there's anything in his game that suggests he is a player who will perform well with PP time.

OT? Should be the first guy out. PK? I want to see him get some reps there. But I don't expect much of anything on the PP.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't think there's anything in his game that suggests he is a player who will perform well with PP time.

OT? Should be the first guy out. PK? I want to see him get some reps there. But I don't expect much of anything on the PP.

Perform well? Probably not. Then again, I don't think there are many 2nd unit options that will perform well either.

Baertschi-Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser
Stecher

Goldobin-Eriksson-Granlund-Virtanen
Edler

Leipsic and Gagner if they are still here?

There's not a lot here that is an auto-include over Virtanen on the 2nd unit. If I'm developing prospects, Virtanen absolutely gets a shot at the 2nd unit. That's where some of these lower end options can surprise. It's a testing ground.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Team stinks
Ain’t gonna do sweet eff all
Let the future feel it’s way through and see what they can and can’t do
It took him 2 years to not get winded and be the first one off on a regular shift. Im all for him reaching his ceiling but lets focus on his current strengths and making them into a team strength. In a year or two when he hopefully breaks out I have no problem him getting PP time. Experiment this year sure, but dont staple him there and hamper him, the team, and his teammates

Reactions: daddyohsix
Feb 24, 2017
It took him 2 years to not get winded and be the first one off on a regular shift. Im all for him reaching his ceiling but lets focus on his current strengths and making them into a team strength. In a year or two when he hopefully breaks out I have no problem him getting PP time. Experiment this year sure, but dont staple him there and hamper him, the team, and his teammates
Well yeah. That’s what I want. Chances and experimentation. See who takes to what. If they excel, great. If not, shelve it for the time being and give someone else a shot.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Well yeah. That’s what I want. Chances and experimentation. See who takes to what. If they excel, great. If not, shelve it for the time being and give someone else a shot.
Id just rather spend this year with him on the PK and OT like pgj and MS brought up. But if he made big strides this summer and can be effective on the PP then thats great for everyone except the other team

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well he must have played PP on the Hitmen, somebody who watched him there should chime in.

I don't even care if he's good on the PP or not. This management/coach needs to learn to squeeze whatever they can skill-wise out of the young guys, because with the Sedins gone they're pretty much the only ones with skill.

Edler/Gagner being gifted spots already is infuriating enough. If these new schlubs and/or Sutter get PP, which blocks kids I'm going to be pissed.

Ah, who am I kidding? Who says kids will make the lineup over these guys?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well he also went from 13 pts in 55 NHL games (.24 PPG) as a 19 year old to 20 pts in 75 NHL games (.27 PPG) as a 21 year old.

Not sure there’s anything impressive about that, regardless of what he did in the intervening AHL season.

To say going from 19 AHL to 20 NHL is impressive is an interesting way of looking at things. 19 points as a 2nd year pro playing in the AHL is just plain bad for a star prospect, really low base.

Reactions: CanaFan

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
We have been saying this for 3 years now....."Lets see what he does this year". If he wasn't picked where he was, he would not be in the NHL. He has not has a 'revelation' the last 15 games lol. He still sucked. Skates fast, tunnel vision, shoot at goalies chest. Doesn't make anyone around him better, plays soft for his size. Jake Virtanen a "force' most nights lol....what team were you watching?

"Revelation" is a bit much, granted, but he certainly didn't suck. He showed a lot of promise in the last 10-15 games or so. If he can figure out how to effectively utilise his speed and combine that with his physicality he has a chance to become a solid player. You could see his confidence growing in the latter stages of the season and I'm expecting a big improvement from him next season.

If he stagnates then he's entering bust territory. But as of now he's still young and still has potential. The pick is done. We can go on and on about hindsight and how we should have picked differently but there's zero point in dwelling on that now. Instead the team has to figure out how to develop him effectively so that he can be a part of this group going forward. He has the tools to do it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well he must have played PP on the Hitmen, somebody who watched him there should chime in.

Watched him a few time but it was generally the same thing as the rest of his play. He was faster and more solid than 99% of his opponents and junior goalies are generally terrible. I don't recall anything special on the PP and really think he was a guy who scored off the rush.

And that is essentially why he has struggled. It's much harder to score off the rush in the NHL even if you are really, really skilled. The systems are better. The players are better. The neutral zone isn't as available. And the goaltenders are leaps and bounds better.

I felt he started to learn how to use his speed better last year but once in the offensive zone I still very much found him lacking. Decision making is not great. Shot isn't at all where it needs to be to truly be successful off the rush. It's a make it or break it year for him. Limited growth will put him on the career 4th liner path.

Last edited:

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Virtanen has a shot that will beat NHL goalies. I'd love to see him get more time with some line mates that can set you up. Virtanen and Pettersson could complement each other very nicely if they clicked. Hopefully with the Sedins retiring we'll see some real experimentation happen with the lines.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Virtanen has a shot that will beat NHL goalies. I'd love to see him get more time with some line mates that can set you up. Virtanen and Pettersson could complement each other very nicely if they clicked. Hopefully with the Sedins retiring we'll see some real experimentation happen with the lines.

He doesnt benefit from a playmaker with how he lacks hockey IQ in the offensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad