Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
How about trying him in front of the net on the PP next yr??

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Looking fwd to seeing Jakes game next season. I think he will elevate again. 30-35 pts

Reactions: travis scott

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Stop dreaming....

I think he could do better things as well, but we have a coach who grinds him down for every little mistake while letting the Loius Erikson's Gudbransons, DelZotto's ect ect. stink the ice up night after night,

A coach who uses these excuses to deprive him of the playing time he DESPERATELY needs to become the best player he can be, but Travis "I shoulda been a superstar" Green seems to really hate young talented players (Still waiting for an explanation for the Brock Scratches besides "He's tierd" Hey, Travis....B*llsh*t)

Jake needs to demand a trade out of Vancouver, he could still be a really good player, but not with this coach, he needs to get away before its too late for him

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
He's not really well suited for a puck retrieval role. He's a rush player. Not great along the boards. If he can bulk up a bit more and add even more muscle, I could see him moulding himself into that type of player more, without a huge loss of speed hopefully.

I'd keep him with Horvat tbh. They will suit each other best. Leipsic on Horvat's other wing and you have 3 players that are high energy and aggressive being pests towards the opposition.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Stop dreaming....

I think he could do better things as well, but we have a coach who grinds him down for every little mistake while letting the Loius Erikson's Gudbransons, DelZotto's ect ect. stink the ice up night after night,

A coach who uses these excuses to deprive him of the playing time he DESPERATELY needs to become the best player he can be, but Travis "I shoulda been a superstar" Green seems to really hate young talented players (Still waiting for an explanation for the Brock Scratches besides "He's tierd" Hey, Travis....B*llsh*t)

Jake needs to demand a trade out of Vancouver, he could still be a really good player, but not with this coach, he needs to get away before its too late for him
Too bad he can't pull a Nikita.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He's not really well suited for a puck retrieval role. He's a rush player. Not great along the boards. If he can bulk up a bit more and add even more muscle, I could see him moulding himself into that type of player more, without a huge loss of speed hopefully.

I'd keep him with Horvat tbh. They will suit each other best. Leipsic on Horvat's other wing and you have 3 players that are high energy and aggressive being pests towards the opposition.

Correct evaluation on what JV is.

I don't get the people wanting to put him in the "bumper" or net-front on the PP. He's pretty much never in his career in the WHL or NHL shown any inclination for those kind of roles. He's a rush player and scores by bowling his way to the net or finding a lane to use his shot.

He's really not a great PP guy at all because as you said, he's not a great board/cycle player and isn't particularly apt at passing.

At evens, I'd really just put him with someone like Brandon Sutter. They're both rush-only offense players and don't really pass, so they won't be limiting each other's abilities. One can just pick up the puck and skate down the ice. The other can follow for rebounds or something.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

I don't get the people wanting to put him in the "bumper" or net-front on the PP. He's pretty much never in his career in the WHL or NHL shown any inclination for those kind of roles. He's a rush player and scores by bowling his way to the net or finding a lane to use his shot.

He's really not a great PP guy at all because as you said, he's not a great board/cycle player and isn't particularly apt at passing.

At evens, I'd really just put him with someone like Brandon Sutter. They're both rush-only offense players and don't really pass, so they won't be limiting each other's abilities. One can just pick up the puck and skate down the ice. The other can follow for rebounds or something.

Great post. Everything you said is so true.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Yes, JV is great on the rush, and is equally defensively responsible as Sutter. However, JV needs a centre who distributes the puck, which we currently don’t have. I could see him playing with Sutter in a shut down role. His speed could generate a lot of chances on turn overs. You might have something here. Good post.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Yes, JV is great on the rush, and is equally defensively responsible as Sutter. However, JV needs a centre who distributes the puck, which we currently don’t have. I could see him playing with Sutter in a shut down role. His speed could generate a lot of chances on turn overs. You might have something here. Good post.

Puck distributing center... or perhaps even better, an outlet passing defenseman.

Reactions: Luckylarry

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Puck distributing center... or perhaps even better, an outlet passing defenseman.

Out of the two I think the D would be more beneficial to Jake's game. He generates most of his opportunities coming through the neutral zone so a D man who can hit him in stride quickly out of the D zone would probably make the biggest difference. You could play Jake with 2005-06 Joe Thornton and I'm not sure it helps him all that much. He doesn't skate to scoring areas or soft ice and I'm not sure he's ever going to play that way. He might do just as well with a skate-and-shoot centre like Sutter as the two of them should be able to generate some 2-on-1's with their speed or turnovers on a fast forecheck.

Might as well give it a try anyway.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think it's in the best interests of all involved to run with a Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen shut down line.

Puts Eriksson in a more offensive role as well.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think it's in the best interests of all involved to run with a Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen shut down line.

Might as well give it a go.

And Eriksson will need to be in an offensive role to get any of our money's worth.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

Agree on the Granlund (Leipsic??) - Sutter - Virtanen line, but Eriksson's best role is watching from the press box. Unfortunately it won't happen.

Travis Green, much like Willie Desjardins - and in fact most NHL coaches - talks a great deal about accountability (for young, unestablished players) but doesn't hold under-performing veterans like Louie to the same standard. Eriksson gets gifted ice time and a roster spot based on his reputation, that was earned in Boston and Dallas. Based on what he has done in Vancouver he should be scratched most nights. He plays with no intensity, no pace and no results.

Honestly, if he is not one of the best 23 players on October 3, he should be waived and sent to ride the buses in Utica. We have a whole bunch of young players who ware waiver eligible who should be prioritized over Louie Eriksson.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad