Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
May be too soon to say but man... Gotta have to say I called it last night, at least as far as this game is concerned! He is looking like the player we wanted him to be when we drafted him.

Reactions: NucksRock

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
First 2 goal game of JV career. Hard to believe 3 years in the league and 6th overall pick. Ehlers / Pasternak have had hat tricks and many multi goal games.

I guess we will take what we can get! It’s a start.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
First 2 goal game of JV career. Hard to believe 3 years in the league and 6th overall pick. Ehlers / Pasternak have had hat tricks and many multi goal games.

I guess we will take what we can get! It’s a start.
What’s harder to believe is people are still talking about his draft position and players drafted behind him 3 years later. Just cheer for the damn kid, he’s gonna be fun to watch :) cheers

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
People still talk about passing on Jagr for Nedved and trading Cam Neely. That shit never goes away, better get used to it or stop caring what people say.

Glad to see Jake start scoring. Would like to see him bring some more physicality but I’m not hating his game as much this year. Especially compared to another certain prospect we shouldn’t have drafted.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Still waiting for people to admit they were wrong and he’s continually getting better. He’ll never be a top line player but he’s the perfect 2nd/3rd line winger.
I’d like to see him keep it up for a larger sample size. But if he can crack 20-25 goals and lead the forwards in hits that’s a hell of a turn around. Especially given his minutes and linemates. I’m really pulling for him. I think that kind of player would be really valuable.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Still waiting for people to admit they were wrong and he’s continually getting better. He’ll never be a top line player but he’s the perfect 2nd/3rd line winger.

We are wrong on what? So 5 goals in 14 games proves that Virtanen is the perfect 2nd/3rd line winger.

Kassian 5 goals in his first 7 games in 2013

Macann 5 goals in first 9 games in 2016.

So did you think Kassian and Macann would be 1st line players back then?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
if JV can actually put up consistent games like this, all the powers to him and it's good for the team.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Besides his two impressive goals, he actually displayed some offensive zone IQ and inticipation which is something hes been lacking since entering the league. Made some solid passes and was backchecking very well tonight. Overall an impressive outing for Jake and hopefully a platform to propel him forward

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017

I'm not sold on him as a top liner either but I think its time to cool it on the absolutism, saying he'll never be one, as if we know for sure. Lots of people said he'd never be an nhler after two years ago.

Reactions: NucksRock

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

What people specifically were wrong and what were their statements? People are mad because a 6th overall pick trying to make it as a 2nd/3rd liner winger while the players they wanted are 1st line stars is not wrong. Gudbranson is a bust despite being a bottom pairing NHL player given his draft position.

I like Virtanen, I think his upside is David Booth and I've said numerous times if he can build on last year he can maybe make it as a 2nd liner, but wanting people to "admit they were wrong" over a 6th overall draft pick having a string of good games after putting up a career high of 20 points in both the NHL and AHL is bizarre.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
We are wrong on what? So 5 goals in 14 games proves that Virtanen is the perfect 2nd/3rd line winger.

What you and the other know it alls that pollute this board day in and day out were wrong about, is to write off a player for having a slow development curve. We don't know for sure yet what Jake is going to become, but we do know that his bust label was extremely premature and anybody who dared debate it had these kinds of smarmy, smarter than thou posts shoved down their throats. I'm glad to see Jake begin to shove it back. He seems like a nice kid and a good teammate as well.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

he's been playing very well down the stretch last season and very good as a role player this season. this is what I noticed. Not expecting him to be as good offensively as Ehlanders, sure as heck doing better then Dal Cole Fleury and at this point Sam Bennet.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
What you and the other know it alls that pollute this board day in and day out were wrong about, is to write off a player for having a slow development curve. We don't know for sure yet what Jake is going to become, but we do know that his bust label was extremely premature and anybody who dared debate it had these kinds of smarmy, smarter than thou posts shoved down their throats. I'm glad to see Jake begin to shove it back. He seems like a nice kid and a good teammate as well.

If you actually google sports bust. It will say something like a highly touted player or high drafted player that failed to meet expectation. When you draft a forward with the 6th overall pick. I am pretty sure you expect that player To be a top line player. Ask yourself do you think he will be a top line player? The answer is No. That means he is bust.

So we go by the definition on the internet and we are premature. I don't think that makes any sense.

Even the users that don't think he will he a top line player still think he can be a 3rd line player with 25 to 30 points. A few games here and there doesn't prove anything

In most cases when A player fail to get more than 20 points 3 season in row. Its very odd That player all of sudden becomes a top 6

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Jake's a bust! Jake's a bust! LOL

Kid has taken big steps under Green since day 1, love seeing what he's turning into. He's playing excellent in his own end, using his physicality and now starting to pot some goals and snipe. This was why we drafted him, and glad to see the naysayers having to stfu. LOL

Same will happen with Juolevi, players take time. Great to see Guance have a terrific game at both ends tonight as well. He's not giving up and wants to back here given his play (and not just because he scored, I watched him closely tonight and we excellent in all facets). Good to know we have some depth now and hopefully he earns his way back up here. He certainly did more that Leipsic has done.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
he's been playing very well down the stretch last season and very good as a role player this season. this is what I noticed. Not expecting him to be as good offensively as Ehlanders, sure as heck doing better then Dal Cole Fleury and at this point Sam Bennet.

I'll take Jake Virtanen in a game 7 going into a corner against Chara any day over those two. I saw game 7 last year boston vs toronto. 2 mins left, net empty puck rings around the boards in the boston end. Nylander coming down the close boards and closest to the puck, outside the zone, Chara on the opposite side behind the net, Nylander could have won the race but it would have meant taking Chara's body /hit to hold the puck in. Again, game 7, Leaf net empty, down by 2, with 2 mins. Nylander lets up and lets chara play it. I remember this play so vividly because it was at that moment I said, thank GOD we didn't pick that feline.

Jake is showing what tools he has, they are coming together, and when the Nucks are competing for a cup, he will be a force as he will have put it all together.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

What? You realize you are quoting someone who specifically said "never going to be a 1st line player, but ..."

Seriously, what is the point of a post like this other than to be a Debbie Downer?

for that matter, what happened to all the jerks who were yelling for the last 2 - 3 years that we should see if we can get a 4th rounder for him. He's never going to be Nylander or Ehlers but he's a totally different skill set, and is valuable. Way to early to see if he can translate this decent start to full season, but its very good news.

And it sure looks like we have our # 1 center as well.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
What? You realize you are quoting someone who specifically said "never going to be a 1st line player, but ..."

Seriously, what is the point of a post like this other than to be a Debbie Downer?

for that matter, what happened to all the jerks who were yelling for the last 2 - 3 years that we should see if we can get a 4th rounder for him. He's never going to be Nylander or Ehlers but he's a totally different skill set, and is valuable. Way to early to see if he can translate this decent start to full season, but its very good news.

And it sure looks like we have our # 1 center as well.
This, thank you billvanSeattle. Every time I’ve argued that Virtanen will be a valuable 2nd line winger, a prime Raffi Torres/David Booth type player, but every time anyone here argued that Virtanen is still developing, they’d get absolutely ripped apart by a ton of posters. Don’t even get me started on the media bashing him either..Not only is Virtanen our scoring Ehlers this year (although very small sample size), but he’s been playing better in every aspect and he’s hockey IQ is actually getting stronger. I’m excited to see his development throughout the season.

Reactions: billvanseattle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad