Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yes,

Would you like for me to explain it to you?

I can post a tutorial on vowel sounds and brushing your teeth as well.

Honestly. Nobody thought he would be this bad, including him.

Him and the Sedins were great when playing with the 3 Kronor.

He has been misused. I do not think Benning et co understood how Eriksson scored his goals. He was never a 5on5 offensive driver. He was a passanger 5on5 and a great PP net front guy.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Idk why people are saying he isn't a good PP option...? He had excellent net front presence on the PP last year. Always set up screens effectively when he was given a chance. Seems like the ideal player to screen the goalie/dig pucks out in the corner

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It does seem like there's an errant expectation that he's going to be this big bullish net presence though, which i think is going to hold him back as long as it persists. Like you said, that's not what he's good at. He really doesn't have the skillset for that at all.
Honestly, I'd go as far as to say that he might be among the weakest net front presences on the team, even behind guys who are significantly less effective overall, not to mention smaller/softer. Vanek, Sutter, Granlund, Gaunce, and Eriksson (haven't really seen Leipsic enough to judge that) are all noticeably better at knowing what to with screens, tips, and rebounds.

But people seem to just assume that he'd be good at it because he's big and strong.

--

I don't think it's implausible that Virtanen will/should get some second unit PP time at some point and has some tools that he can use in that situation, but I'm not expecting him to be great at it, even if everything with his development works out perfectly, personally. Not anymore than I was about Hansen being given a shot on the 2nd unit PP and possibly being useful there, anyways.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes,

Would you like for me to explain it to you?

I can post a tutorial on vowel sounds and brushing your teeth as well.

You clearly don’t. How did Eriksson sign here on bad faith? Did he develop some mysterious skin condition that prevents him from playing hockey as soon as he signed that contract?

You made the accusation. Back it up.

Reactions: Catbug

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, I don’t think Eriksson signed in bad faith. He just isn’t the player management thought we was, and the team also hasn’t been able to use him most effectively.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Virtanen might end up getting more PP time next season with the Sedins and Vanek gone but I'm not sure that will see a drastic increase in his production given that his skillset is predicated plays off the rush and transition game, which typically doesn't bode well on the PP.

He'll be used as a more of a middle six 5v5 player where most his points will be at even strength while generating a good number of shots and drawing penalties, and probably get some PK time as well.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Idk why people are saying he isn't a good PP option...? He had excellent net front presence on the PP last year. Always set up screens effectively when he was given a chance. Seems like the ideal player to screen the goalie/dig pucks out in the corner

33 of his 34 career points are at ES.

Same reason Hansen wasn't really a power play producer but for a while his 5v5 goal scoring rates was near the top of the league. His style of game didn't fit well on the power play because he was more of a player who specialized in generating chances off the rush and in transition.

Jake is similar to Hansen in that way, most of points will end up being at ES, even if gets more power play time I'm skeptical that his production will see a significant bump.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is the year to give this guy a look and see what he can do with increased ice time. We're going to be terrible anyway, so let's see what we have in some of these younger players.
No doubt about it....with this edition of the Canucks, 'hope' is about all there is to sell. Virtanen's last 15 games were a revelation. He was a force out there most nights, but of course playing out a string at the end of a losing season is the equivalent of NBA 'garbage time'. For me, he'll be one of most interesting guys to monitor at training camp, but still needs a contract.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
We have been saying this for 3 years now....."Lets see what he does this year". If he wasn't picked where he was, he would not be in the NHL. He has not has a 'revelation' the last 15 games lol. He still sucked. Skates fast, tunnel vision, shoot at goalies chest. Doesn't make anyone around him better, plays soft for his size. Jake Virtanen a "force' most nights lol....what team were you watching?

No doubt about it....with this edition of the Canucks, 'hope' is about all there is to sell. Virtanen's last 15 games were a revelation. He was a force out there most nights, but of course playing out a string at the end of a losing season is the equivalent of NBA 'garbage time'. For me, he'll be one of most interesting guys to monitor at training camp, but still needs a contract.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
We have been saying this for 3 years now....."Lets see what he does this year". If he wasn't picked where he was, he would not be in the NHL. He has not has a 'revelation' the last 15 games lol. He still sucked. Skates fast, tunnel vision, shoot at goalies chest. Doesn't make anyone around him better, plays soft for his size. Jake Virtanen a "force' most nights lol....what team were you watching?
Says the guy who hates Boeser lol

Virtanen is a fine 3rd liner at this point. Sure not a 6 overall but a sure middle 6 NHLer. Yes, we are hopeful that he will improve on an annual basis as he is young, and is at the age when many NHLers generally improve on their weaknesses, got a problem with that? :shakehead

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He needs a breakout season. I don't care. The excuses are over and he needs to put up a good offensive season in the NHL. Being a decent 3rd liner is a nice add to the team but he needs to be more.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He needs a breakout season. I don't care. The excuses are over and he needs to put up a good offensive season in the NHL. Being a decent 3rd liner is a nice add to the team but he needs to be more.
Being a decent 3rd liner would be him doing more than what we have seen so far. At this point Id be happy with him being a decent 3rd liner

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Just have to be patient with him. His development has not been ideal at all, but going from 19 AHL points to 20 NHL points is actually damned impressive. I think he still has a few seasons before we really see what he is going to be. Even just a few small steps in Jake's hockeyIQ, could go a long ways considering his excellent physical gifts and I'm encouraged by his last 20 games despite not lighting up the score sheet.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just have to be patient with him. His development has not been ideal at all, but going from 19 AHL points to 20 NHL points is actually damned impressive. I think he still has a few seasons before we really see what he is going to be. Even just a few small steps in Jake's hockeyIQ, could go a long ways considering his excellent physical gifts and I'm encouraged by his last 20 games despite not lighting up the score sheet.

Well he also went from 13 pts in 55 NHL games (.24 PPG) as a 19 year old to 20 pts in 75 NHL games (.27 PPG) as a 21 year old.

Not sure there’s anything impressive about that, regardless of what he did in the intervening AHL season.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well he also went from 13 pts in 55 NHL games (.24 PPG) as a 19 year old to 20 pts in 75 NHL games (.27 PPG) as a 21 year old.

Not sure there’s anything impressive about that, regardless of what he did in the intervening AHL season.
He is a quality 3rd line player and will likely never be a top 6. That’s fine he is still a useful player

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He is a quality 3rd line player and will likely never be a top 6. That’s fine he is still a useful player

Not sure it’s “fine” considering what his acquisition cost was but I don’t disagree with the rest of your assessment.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Not sure it’s “fine” considering what his acquisition cost was but I don’t disagree with the rest of your assessment.
Are you still mad Schroeder didn’t pan out? I’ve just moved on from the fact that he was a bad pick and try to appreciate the player he is. Besides, we still have Juolevi to complain about

Reactions: billvanseattle

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Are you still mad Schroeder didn’t pan out? I’ve just moved on from the fact that he was a bad pick and try to appreciate the player he is. Besides, we still have Juolevi to complain about

Well ya see there’s this thing called “time” where Schroeder was drafted in 2009 and Virtanen was drafted in 2014 which probably comes into play here. Was I mad about Schroeder back in 2013? Probably though as a #22 pick it wasn’t as big a deal as a #6 pick. Will I still be annoyed by the Virtanen pick in 2023? Probably not. But considering it’s only been 4 years since he was picked and we are still seeing what we have, my disappointment hasn’t quite dissipated yet.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well ya see there’s this thing called “time” where Schroeder was drafted in 2009 and Virtanen was drafted in 2014 which probably comes into play here. Was I mad about Schroeder back in 2013? Probably though as a #22 pick it wasn’t as big a deal as a #6 pick. Will I still be annoyed by the Virtanen pick in 2023? Probably not. But considering it’s only been 4 years since he was picked and we are still seeing what we have, my disappointment hasn’t quite dissipated yet.
You will get over it when Elias scores his first hattrick!

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

So you didn't notice any difference in his NHL play last season compared to his rookie season beyond points?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So you didn't notice any difference in his NHL play last season compared to his rookie season beyond points?

Nothing major, no. I mean he’s 2 years older so some progression would be expected but honestly he seemed about the same as his post-Christmas stretch back in 2015-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->