Eklund Rumor: Jake Muzzin to MTL

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
A 1st is ok if we’re close to the TDL and in a good position to make the playoff.
I think that’s the issue people are missing out on!
Muzzin and/or Martinez will be moved but closer to or at the TDL where as we’ve seen in the past offers tend to get outrageous from teams that feel it’s their time... I expect a hefty haul for Muzzin aka 1st + A prospect maybe more if we retain, while Amart should return a 2nd + young player or a 1st

Reactions: go4hockey

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So what you are saying is that the least likely scenario is just as probable as the one that has lead to the success of nearly every cup winner in the modern era? The same phenomenon that is primarily responsible for the success of all the current up and coming teams? Do they not all have top lottery picks that are outproducing their respective peers? It's no secret that elite players help a team succeed but it's even less of a secret that truly elite players mostly come from the lottery draft (there will always be exceptions and there are no strategies that are 100% effective).

We shouldn't emulate the minute case because "anything can happen" and "we can find gems in later rounds" like it's a given...It's a ridiculous way to build out a real contender in today's NHL.

You do understand you were incorrect to claim that you needed multiple top picks to win the cup? The Kings only had 1 in Doughty and the Bruins effectively zero.

Those teams aren't "minute cases", it's several recent cups that completely invalidate your argument. Going back a little further the Red Wings last two cups were led by Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who were drafted in the 7th round. It seems you just haven't thought this through.

You also claim that multiple top picks are the primary reason for the success of all the up and coming teams - and that they all have top lottery picks outproducing their peers. Again not even close to true. The top two teams right now are the Lightning and the Jets. Point (3rd round) and Kucherov (2nd round) are by far the best players on the Lightning, far better than Stamkos. The Jets are led by Scheifele (7th OA) and Wheeler (5 OA, acquired for Rich Peverly), who are better than Laine.

I'm making a very practical argument here - looking at cup winners post 2006, all of those teams needed multiple top 20 / top 30 players. And most of today's top 20 or top 30 players were not drafted top-3. Draft better not higher.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I don't see Bergevin going for Muzzin at the moment. Not for a 2019 1st rounder anyway. His plan has always been "make the playoffs somehow and anything can happen". Looking at the standings, I wouldn't be surprised if Bergevin feels no urgent need to do anything at all with the current roster since the Habs might squeeze in and "anything can happen".

If anything, he's likely more interested in an Armia - Mason for cap space type deal. Muzzin is likely destined to a contender.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Why, cause it does not suit your case. LA suck this year, but the last 4 years Muzzin has the same amount of points as Petry and all those years Muzzin did not play with Doughty.
Petry is going to hit 50+ points this season.. he’s trending up, plus he’s signed for an extra year.

I think it’s safe to say that Muzzin will never hit 50+

Don’t get me wrong, I want Muzzin, he would be a great partner for Weber or Petry.
But not for this year’s 1st, we need to draft a LD with that.

Poehling
2019 2nd
Shlemko

For

Muzzin

Reactions: stanley25

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Wtf are you even talking about! You don't watch hockey if you think Petry is better than Muzzin at all (offense or defense). Don't believe me, Okay. Let's have a look at stats...

Petry...

12-13: 12 points in 48 games
13-14: 17 points in 80 games
14-15: 22 points in 78 games *between Oilers/Habs
15-16: 16 points in 51 games
16-17: 28 points in 80 games
17-18: 42 points in 82 games
18-19: 24 points in 32 games

Total for 7 seasons: 161 points in 451 games

Muzzin...

12-13: 16 points in 45 games
13-14: 24 points in 76 games
14-15: 41 points in 76 games
15-16: 40 points in 82 games
16-17: 28 points in 82 games
17-18: 42 points in 74 games
18-19: 11 points in 33 games

Total for 7 seasons: 202 points in 468 games

(That means Muzzin has scored 41 more points than Petry in 17 more games. That's a whole season of scoring for Petry in only 17 games. Damn! Muzzin is actually really good offensively).

So Muzzin is the actual better offensive player and defensive player than Petry for the last 7 seasons. All while being 2 years young than Petry. Yet you guys think Muzzin is worth less than him.

That doesn't even include Muzzin is signed to a better contract at 4m to Petry 5.5m.

You either are undervaluing Muzzin or overvaluing Petry.

So again I ask...wtf are you talking about?

Edit: I get the point that Muzzin doesn't fit with that age part of where Montreal is going for. And I don't think the 2 teams are good trading partners. But to suggest that Petry is better than Muzzin is ridiculous. Just say Muzzin doesn't fit in with the structure of the team being built.
Petry will get 50+ points this season, something Muzzin has never done and will never do. Petry is the better offensive player RIGHT NOW no question. Muzzin the better defender I agree.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
I’m sure a team will pay that. But our 2019 1st is too valuable, there’s many nice LD to pick from in the first round.

What about:

Poehling
2019 2nd
Shlemko

For

Muzzin

Many Habs fans will be mad. But if I’m trading for Muzzin that means I’m going all in and competing for a Cup. Now I’m trading the rest of the farm for a top 6 forward and another reliable LD.

A deal for Muzzin might look something like that. It’s always an overpayment for guys Ike Muzzin, unfortunately, as the Kings paid through the nose for Sekera when they aquired him a couple years back.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You do understand you were incorrect to claim that you needed multiple top picks to win the cup? The Kings only had 1 in Doughty and the Bruins effectively zero.

Those teams aren't "minute cases", it's several recent cups that completely invalidate your argument. Going back a little further the Red Wings last two cups were led by Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who were drafted in the 7th round. It seems you just haven't thought this through.

You also claim that multiple top picks are the primary reason for the success of all the up and coming teams - and that they all have top lottery picks outproducing their peers. Again not even close to true. The top two teams right now are the Lightning and the Jets. Point (3rd round) and Kucherov (2nd round) are by far the best players on the Lightning, far better than Stamkos. The Jets are led by Scheifele (7th OA) and Wheeler (5 OA, acquired for Rich Peverly), who are better than Laine.

I'm making a very practical argument here - looking at cup winners post 2006, all of those teams needed multiple top 20 / top 30 players. And most of today's top 20 or top 30 players were not drafted top-3. Draft better not higher.

Those situations aren't close to equal and if you have to go back as far as Detroit , you do realize we are nearly in 2019? Once again you are taking the minority case and applying it to make a general rule. Presenting both these scenarios as equal is simply untrue.

So you essentially think it's reasonable to expect a team to draft future hall of famers in the 7th round or gems in later rounds vs all the other elite players drafted in the lottery? As if those situations are even close in terms of probability. Okay, whatever you say...:help:

I mean look at all the current top teams , they havn't won a cup yet but all the contenders are built around those core top3/5 drafted players. I present you multiple teams in the last decade to win a cup surrounded by elite talent drafted in the lottery draft and you present a small example of the contrary. I don't think it's wise to build out a team in much less probable conditions for success...

Last edited:
Reactions: KINGS17

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
GTFOH LMAO Petry is a good defender, you clearly don’t watch him play. And who does Petry have the pleasure of having as a defense partner? No one that’s who!

Petry >> Muzzin on offense

Muzzin > Petry on defense

Offense IS WORTH MORE plain and simple

But this is just reality, I don’t know where YOU live.

You know that Muzzin and Petry had the same amount of points last year ?

member 88115

Petry is going to hit 50+ points this season.. he’s trending up, plus he’s signed for an extra year.

I think it’s safe to say that Muzzin will never hit 50+

Don’t get me wrong, I want Muzzin, he would be a great partner for Weber or Petry.
But not for this year’s 1st, we need to draft a LD with that.

Poehling
2019 2nd
Shlemko

For

Muzzin
I get the not wanting to give up a 1st rounder, since Montreal is still looking to fill their prospect pool. I get Petry is off to a hot start, but let the year play out and see if will hit 50 points. Its known the last half of the season is probably the hardest time to get points. To base your assessment between the two on only this season is a bit misleading.

LA like to have options and pick certain type players. If Futa thinks Poehling (I know nothing of him) is the type of player they can get with the 20-31 pick this year, then I see LA going for it. Futa is pretty picky with the type of player being drafted and they are picking up players that have high ceiling (similar to Kupari and JAD), even if their are some risk. They are getting away from the hard working 3rd and 4th liners like Pearson and Lewis

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So you think it's reasonable to expect a team to draft future hall of famers in the 7th round or gems in later rounds vs all the other elite players drafted in the lottery? Okay, whatever you say...:help:

Those situations aren't close to equal and if you have to go back as far as Detroit , you do realize we are nearly in 2019? Once again you are taking the minority case and applying to make a rule. Presented both these scenarios as equal is simply untrue.

I never suggested that 7th rounders are the path to success. I have a modest argument, merely that you are about as likely to get a foundational cup-winning piece outside of the top 5 picks as you are to get one in the top 5. A quick perusal of the top 20 players in the league will confirm this for you.

5 of the last 12 cups were won by teams that had one or zero top 5 picks.

You started out arguing that all cup winners are built off of multiple top picks, then you shifted to "all but a minute exception", and now it's "all but a minority case". You could have just said you were wrong, it would have been more dignifying than this retreat.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
GTFOH LMAO Petry is a good defender, you clearly don’t watch him play. And who does Petry have the pleasure of having as a defense partner? No one that’s who!

Petry >> Muzzin on offense

Muzzin > Petry on defense

Offense IS WORTH MORE plain and simple

But this is just reality, I don’t know where YOU live.

Muzzin has 203 points in 479 career games
Petry has 191 in 559 career games.

Last year Petry had his career high in points, 42 (though he's on pace to break that right now)
Last year, Muzzin had 42 points, which is also a career high, but also doing it while playing on the top defensive team in the league as a #2/3 defenseman.

Petry having a career year right now does not automatically make him a better player offensively.

Muzzin is two years younger, has had consistently better numbers up until this season, and has been the #2/3 defenseman on one of the top defensive teams for quite a few years.

Muzzin is having a bad year, but when your leading scorer who had 90+ points last season only has 20 points, nobody is doing well.

Muzzin has his warts, like any other player, but you are underselling him.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Muzzin has 203 points in 479 career games
Petry has 191 in 559 career games.

Last year Petry had his career high in points, 42 (though he's on pace to break that right now)
Last year, Muzzin had 42 points, which is also a career high, but also doing it while playing on the top defensive team in the league as a #2/3 defenseman.

Petry having a career year right now does not automatically make him a better player offensively.

Muzzin is two years younger, has had consistently better numbers up until this season, and has been the #2/3 defenseman on one of the top defensive teams for quite a few years.

Muzzin is having a bad year, but when your leading scorer who had 90+ points last season only has 20 points, nobody is doing well.

Muzzin has his warts, like any other player, but you are underselling him.
I’m not underselling anything or trying to put Muzzin down, I want him on my team. I’m simply stating the fact that RIGHT NOW Petry is the more offensively skilled of the two.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Muzzin is a very good player, but who is UFA after next season, and is 29. So then what, lose him or sign another guy to play until his late 30s ?

If Habs could contend for the Cup this year and next , fine, but we arent.

This is a complete waste of assets , and it will cost, to simply try for the play offs.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I’m not underselling anything or trying to put Muzzin down, I want him on my team. I’m simply stating the fact that RIGHT NOW Petry is the more offensively skilled of the two.

No, RIGHT NOW Petry is having a better season offensively.

One player's numbers:

One other player's numbers:

Taking away the names, which one would you reasonably expect to put up more numbers long term, strictly speaking offensively?

And saying one player is more offensively gifted based off of less than half a season is pretty unreasonable.Max Domi has more points than Patrik Laine RIGHT NOW. Are you saying he's more offensively talented?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
No, RIGHT NOW Petry is having a better season offensively.

One player's numbers:

One other player's numbers:

Taking away the names, which one would you reasonably expect to put up more numbers long term, strictly speaking offensively?

And saying one player is more offensively gifted based off of less than half a season is pretty unreasonable.Max Domi has more points than Patrik Laine RIGHT NOW. Are you saying he's more offensively talented?
More importantly to me...and i get this stat isn't great...but one player is a +4 on a tire fire team right now.....the other is -3 on a team in a playoff spot.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't get how a 32-game point bender makes one more 'offensively skilled' when the other has consistently literally doubled the other's production while on a crap offensive team. That is trash logic. Yes, I'd question the assertion that literally 5% of one's career is the slice of play that you're going to use to extrapolate offensive ability as opposed to simply saying "current offensive production is better" and apply context.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad