Eklund Rumor: Jake Muzzin to MTL

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I actually agree. The problem is, GMs are weird....if you guys are close or in a playoff spot...some GMs will make a move to bolster the roster.

At the same time how do you expect a team to get closer to their goal (being a true contender) if you’re not patching hole in your line up? Don’t forget Habs have 0 LHD prospects other than Romanov who’s in the KHL and a few years away from NA

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Hw will still be the only one getting 14M$ a year in 5 years and he is far from being the best player.

Saying 14M$ for Marner would be a bargain imply he would worth more than that in reality. That is just waaaaaayyyy of base.
So what, even if he is the ONLY one who is making 14 which I doubt, there will be players getting very close to that, and McDavid will be up for a new contract before then, he’s gonna get massive money.
I way rather have Marner at 14 mil than Tavares going to 35 years old at 11 mil.

Trust me, this would be a great move for us Marner is a VERY special player. Losing him would also crush Toronto, they could have our next 4 low round picks.

Drouin-Domi-Marner

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Sure we look like a playoff team. Will Muzzin put us over the top.Not a chance.
So I don't think the Habs should be sacrificing any future pieces if we're not true contenders.
Now the Leafs are true contenders. They are the team that should be willing to trade some young assets and even overpay if it gives them a better shot at the cup.Their time is NOW. The Habs have a ways to go.
Will he make that Montreal team able to win a Cup? Honestly, I don't think so, not this year at least ( I don't think this Habs team is likely to beat either Tampa or Toronto in a 7 game series to make it out of the Atlantic, and a healthy Boston would be tough as well), but it would at least give them a shot at an upset; as it is they are currently outmatched by the contenders in the Atlantic.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
So what, even if he is the ONLY one who is making 14 which I doubt, there will be players getting very close to that, and McDavid will be up for a new contract before then, he’s gonna get massive money.
I way rather have Marner at 14 mil than Tavares going to 35 years old at 11 mil.

Trust me, this would be a great move for us Marner is a VERY special player. Losing him would also crush Toronto, they could have our next 4 low round picks.

Drouin-Domi-Marner

If you make an offersheet of 7 years to Marner, his contract and McDavid's will end at the sme time. So Marner will earn 1,5M$ more than the best player in the NHL. Sorry but that doesn't make sense, at all.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I agree i wounld't pay more than that based on our situation. But impossible we land him for that.

The problem isn’t about trade some futures it’s who/what we decide to trade.

Trading a good RHD and/or C prospect along with a 2nd round pick doesn’t really hurt us. Hell, even a 1st round pick would be OK if we’ve somehow already secured a playoff spot (think 7-10 point ahead of the 9th place)

What I’m having issues with is trading a top prospect and/or a lottery pick. A 7-14 pick doesn’t hold the same value as a 18-25 pick and the player you select there has a totally different upside

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
All HF posters want to lowball the top players at the deadline. It’s always been this way. Someone will overpay for Muzzin.

Well considering Montreal had a deal in place pending a contract extention to get Muzzin + 2nd round pick + decent prospect (JAD?) for Pacioretty should tell you roughly the value that Muzzin hold right now.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
If you make an offersheet of 7 years to Marner, his contract and McDavid's will end at the sme time. So Marner will earn 1,5M$ more than the best player in the NHL. Sorry but that doesn't make sense, at all.
Crosby made less than Ovechkin for all of their careers, and many other player salaries passed Crosby’s. It’s just the way it is.
How else could we get an elite talent like Marner?? Is it fair that McDavid only makes 1.5 million more that Tavares? No. McDavid should have took more money, he chose not to. It would have nothing to do with us paying Marner 14, we could afford it, maybe we offer sheet him at 13? If you do it, the number has to be right, you can’t mess up.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
All HF posters want to lowball the top players at the deadline. It’s always been this way. Someone will overpay for Muzzin.
I’m sure a team will pay that. But our 2019 1st is too valuable, there’s many nice LD to pick from in the first round.

What about:

Poehling
2019 2nd
Shlemko

For

Muzzin

Many Habs fans will be mad. But if I’m trading for Muzzin that means I’m going all in and competing for a Cup. Now I’m trading the rest of the farm for a top 6 forward and another reliable LD.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
At the same time how do you expect a team to get closer to their goal (being a true contender) if you’re not patching hole in your line up? Don’t forget Habs have 0 LHD prospects other than Romanov who’s in the KHL and a few years away from NA
That's why i think maybe MB takes a run at Muzzin.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
GTFOH LMAO Petry is a good defender, you clearly don’t watch him play. And who does Petry have the pleasure of having as a defense partner? No one that’s who!

Petry >> Muzzin on offense

Muzzin > Petry on defense

Offense IS WORTH MORE plain and simple

But this is just reality, I don’t know where YOU live.

While i agree in part that offense is worth alot cause you need to score to win but good defense is what leads to good offense as long as you have the pieces up front to score.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Well considering Montreal had a deal in place pending a contract extention to get Muzzin + 2nd round pick + decent prospect (JAD?) for Pacioretty should tell you roughly the value that Muzzin hold right now.

And i ask you this: was that potential deal at the deadline?

member 88115

GTFOH LMAO Petry is a good defender, you clearly don’t watch him play. And who does Petry have the pleasure of having as a defense partner? No one that’s who!

Better offense, look at the career stats cause they say other wise.

Reactions: Vachon23

major major

Feb 18, 2013
. However what worries me is that rebuilds on the fly just don't work , there are literally 0 teams to win the cup without multiple top picks. Perhaps Drouin/Kotkaniemi are those picks but I can't put them in the same sentence as Toews/Kane , Crosby/Malkin , Ovy/Backstrom/Kuznetsov , Kopitar/Doughty or even Marchand/Bergeron/Seguin.

C'mon now you know these are not top picks. Kopitar was 11th OA and Kuznetsov 15th. Marchand and Bergeron are not even first rounders. And Seguin was an afterthought for the Bruins who didn't contribute much to their cup win. "Literally zero teams win the cup without multiple top picks" :laugh: Compare the Bruins success to the Oilers and Panthers who actually had multiple top picks.

You need some of the best players in the league to win the cup, but many of the best players are not drafted highly (Kucherov, Point, Gaudreau not in the first round, Giroux, Pastrnak tail end of the round).

Draft better not higher.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Would rather keep the cap space and try to sign Duchene or Panarin in the summer

Panarin is a legit target.

He loves a great worldly city. He loves the spotlight. He wants stardom.

Montreal isn't mentioned as one of his favorite cities. But he doesn't really know much about different cities, apparently, you'll have to get on his radar. He's easily worth $11m per, he's better than Tavares.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
C'mon now you know these are not top picks. Kopitar was 11th OA and Kuznetsov 15th. Marchand and Bergeron are not even first rounders. And Seguin was an afterthought for the Bruins who didn't contribute much to their cup win. "Literally zero teams win the cup without multiple top picks" :laugh: Compare the Bruins success to the Oilers and Panthers who actually had multiple top picks.

You need some of the best players in the league to win the cup, but many of the best players are not drafted highly (Kucherov, Point, Gaudreau not in the first round, Giroux, Pastrnak tail end of the round).

Draft better not higher.

So what you are saying is that the least likely scenario is just as probable as the one that has lead to the success of nearly every cup winner in the modern era? The same phenomenon that is primarily responsible for the success of all the current up and coming teams? Do they not all have top lottery picks that are outproducing their respective peers? It's no secret that elite players help a team succeed but it's even less of a secret that truly elite players mostly come from the lottery draft (there will always be exceptions and there are no strategies that are 100% effective).

We shouldn't emulate the minute case because "anything can happen" and "we can find gems in later rounds" like it's a given...It's a ridiculous way to build out a real contender in today's NHL.

Last edited:

member 88115

Petry is on a different level right now, you should try living in the present.
Why, cause it does not suit your case. LA suck this year, but the last 4 years Muzzin has the same amount of points as Petry and all those years Muzzin did not play with Doughty.

Reactions: go4hockey

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

Wtf are you even talking about! You don't watch hockey if you think Petry is better than Muzzin at all (offense or defense). Don't believe me, Okay. Let's have a look at stats...

Petry...

12-13: 12 points in 48 games
13-14: 17 points in 80 games
14-15: 22 points in 78 games *between Oilers/Habs
15-16: 16 points in 51 games
16-17: 28 points in 80 games
17-18: 42 points in 82 games
18-19: 24 points in 32 games

Total for 7 seasons: 161 points in 451 games

Muzzin...

12-13: 16 points in 45 games
13-14: 24 points in 76 games
14-15: 41 points in 76 games
15-16: 40 points in 82 games
16-17: 28 points in 82 games
17-18: 42 points in 74 games
18-19: 11 points in 33 games

Total for 7 seasons: 202 points in 468 games

(That means Muzzin has scored 41 more points than Petry in 17 more games. That's a whole season of scoring for Petry in only 17 games. Damn! Muzzin is actually really good offensively).

So Muzzin is the actual better offensive player and defensive player than Petry for the last 7 seasons. All while being 2 years young than Petry. Yet you guys think Muzzin is worth less than him.

That doesn't even include Muzzin is signed to a better contract at 4m to Petry 5.5m.

You either are undervaluing Muzzin or overvaluing Petry.

So again I ask...wtf are you talking about?

Edit: I get the point that Muzzin doesn't fit with that age part of where Montreal is going for. And I don't think the 2 teams are good trading partners. But to suggest that Petry is better than Muzzin is ridiculous. Just say Muzzin doesn't fit in with the structure of the team being built.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad