Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Some people have said the comps on Jake point to a $6m/yr pay day. Everyone loves Jake when he's scoring but I think it's important to remember stretches like this as well. Look at the good and the bad, and determine if he's really a $6m player. Right now, he's on pace for 23 goals and 43 points. He could go on a hot run and put up 10 points in 10 games or he might stay cold. It's frustrating because he looks like a 30+ goal scorer when he's riding high, but he's not consistent, and he's not involved in other ways, when he's not scoring.

Honestly, I'm not crazy about paying him $6m because he looks good in half of the games. Just because other teams gave out $6m contracts to their RFA's doesn't mean we have to. Plenty of teams trade RFA's because they don't believe they're worth the comps.

Personally, I'd try to get him to sign a bridge deal in the $4m range to see if he can find that consistency and maturity in his game before paying him big money and term. If that's a no go then I would consider trading him.

I was looking at contract comps recently, and two of the ones I landed on were Timo Meier and Travis Konecny. I looked at CapFriendly's income tax estimator and I have no idea how realistic it is, but I was hoping to get an idea for what their net income was. It ends up that around $5.2 million would provide DeBrusk a similar amount of net income playing for the Bruins instead of in San Jose or Philly.

I think $6 million is way too high, unless we're looking at an 8 year deal, which I don't think makes sense for either side. If he wants five or 6 years, then I'd do the $5.2 million I mentioned, but if it's 2 or 3 years, even $4 million might be a high estimate. It's what I've been using in my salary cap estimates for next year, but you start to look at other young forwards, and the only ones getting $4 million or more on those short-term deals (2 or 3 yrs) are clear 1st line forwards. Players who have had close to point per game seasons.

Sam Reinhart had similar point production when he signed his deal 1.5 years ago, and he got $3.65 million for 2 years. That was 4.6% of the cap, so that might be closer to $3.8 million on next year's cap.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
This is the classic robbing Peter to pay Paul situation though. You move your second line left wing for a second line right wing. Who plays in DeBrusk's spot?

Ritchie hasn't proven he's a top 6 player in his career, Bjork hasn't really either. None of the kids down in Providence seem to be ready, nor should they be forced into playing top 6 minutes to enter the NHL.

No, it isn't. I gather from at least one Ducks fan on this board that the right-shot Rakell has played mostly LW with Anaheim. (Lots of European wingers do this.) So, he could easily become the #2 LW in Boston. Even if he moves to RW, then I think that Bjork can become the #2 LW. He's as talented as Debrusk IMHO (maybe moreso).

Richard Lather

Jan 28, 2020
No, it isn't. I gather from at least one Ducks fan on this board that the right-shot Rakell has played mostly LW with Anaheim. (Lots of European wingers do this.) So, he could easily become the #2 LW in Boston. Even if he moves to RW, then I think that Bjork can become the #2 LW. He's as talented as Debrusk IMHO (maybe moreso).

Completely disagree, and they have very different skill sets. I just don't see how moving a top 6 wing for a top 6 wing does anything for Boston.

While DeBrusk has been off physically this season he's still a more physical player than what Bjork brings. I think he's still getting over the Kadri incident from the playoffs, even if it's just a confidence/mental block.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

no one gets the benefit of the doubt around here more than Bjork

he has done nothing to show he is or will ever be a better player than DeBrusk

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Let’s see Bjork receive the same advantages that DeBrusk has (stapled to the second line with Krejci, playing more minutes, getting power play time and not getting benched for poor play or the smallest mistake) and see how he performs.

Reactions: BMC

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Let’s see Bjork receive the same advantages that DeBrusk has (stapled to the second line with Krejci, playing more minutes, getting power play time and not getting benched for poor play or the smallest mistake) and see how he performs.

seriously? Debrusk is like the king of getting benched

remember his breakout game before he went on his hot streak awhile ago? he got benched for awhile, then came out and scored two goals

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
At his best, JDB plays like a bulldog, hounding the opposition on the forecheck, chasing down the puck, relentless in the offensive zone. It concerns me that we haven't seen that from him in a while.

Reactions: Salem13

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I been saying it all along.Heinen was not gone long before Cassidy took aim at his play.Least we know DeBrusk will be there in those big playoff games.Bjork will be watching upstairs

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He’ll be lucky to get 4 per on a 2 year deal. Unless he has a monster playoffs. I don’t want him missing time to get him to take less but he hasn’t earned more unless we are trying to project a contract that eats into UFA years. 2 years 7.5 mil is what he’s getting right now.

Happy to pay him more if he has a big postseason.

Reactions: TwineTickler

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Some people have said the comps on Jake point to a $6m/yr pay day. Everyone loves Jake when he's scoring but I think it's important to remember stretches like this as well. Look at the good and the bad, and determine if he's really a $6m player. Right now, he's on pace for 23 goals and 43 points. He could go on a hot run and put up 10 points in 10 games or he might stay cold. It's frustrating because he looks like a 30+ goal scorer when he's riding high, but he's not consistent, and he's not involved in other ways, when he's not scoring.

Honestly, I'm not crazy about paying him $6m because he looks good in half of the games. Just because other teams gave out $6m contracts to their RFA's doesn't mean we have to. Plenty of teams trade RFA's because they don't believe they're worth the comps.

Personally, I'd try to get him to sign a bridge deal in the $4m range to see if he can find that consistency and maturity in his game before paying him big money and term. If that's a no go then I would consider trading him.

Unfortunately I'm with you on this. Love Jakey, but the inconsistency is pretty brutal. Hope he goes on a tear the rest of the way, but definitely not looking to shell him out 6mil... and I know Sweeney isn't.

Reactions: PlayMakers

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Put Heinen’s name where Bjork’s is and you have the last 2 years on this board.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Jake underperforming on his contract year should benefit us if he can learn to overcome it in the future as he matures.

He sticks out when he’s not scoring, like he’s upset he can’t score and decides he’s not gonna do anything else until he does.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

He was on the LW the last two Ducks games I watched, for whatever that is worth.

Reactions: Estlin

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
DeBrusk is a keeper. He’s streaky but he’s young. Patience. He will evolve.

IF Cassidy does start resting the core vets as the regular season winds down, I’d like to see DeBrusk play on Bergerons LW (when Marchand rests). Should give him some well needed guidance and may help him going forward.

Reactions: GoBs

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I also remember Kessel disappearing for 20 games at a time.

Hopefully this works in our favor with a contract extension, and hopefully he develops a bit more consistency.

In Kessels breakout year with the Bruins the longest he went without scoring a goal was 14 games, but he picked up assists in that stretch.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
In Kessels breakout year with the Bruins the longest he went without scoring a goal was 14 games, but he picked up assists in that stretch.

That sounds right. How about before that 36 (?) goal season? He never seemed consistent. I didn't mind it, it is part of the package with a scoring winger.

It would be nice to see Jake more involved physically and on the forecheck when he isn't scoring.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
That sounds right. How about before that 36 (?) goal season? He never seemed consistent. I didn't mind it, it is part of the package with a scoring winger.

It would be nice to see Jake more involved physically and on the forecheck when he isn't scoring.

I usually don't hold a mid season cancer diagnosis nor being 18/19 in the NHL against a guy when it comes to consistency.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Kessel is an interesting comparison because they've both got that explosive speed and release. But in Kessel's third season, which is where Jake is now (it was a contract year for both of them), Kessel scored 36 goals and 60 points in 70 games. Even if he had a slump in there, he still put up 36/60. For Jake to hit those totals, he'd have to score 18 goals and 8 assists in his last 16 games (and it still wouldn't be as impressive because Kessel did in 7 fewer games). I think Kessel's worst stretch during that season was 2 points in 10 games.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. I'd love for DeBrusk to put up the kinds of numbers Kessel did, but inconsistency has kept Kessel from becoming a great player and it's made him someone teams unload despite the offense and the salary retention on his contract.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Kessel is an interesting comparison because they've both got that explosive speed and release. But in Kessel's third season, which is where Jake is now (it was a contract year for both of them), Kessel scored 36 goals and 60 points in 70 games. Even if he had a slump in there, he still put up 36/60. For Jake to hit those totals, he'd have to score 18 goals and 8 assists in his last 16 games (and it still wouldn't be as impressive because Kessel did in 7 fewer games). I think Kessel's worst stretch during that season was 2 points in 10 games.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. I'd love for DeBrusk to put up the kinds of numbers Kessel did, but inconsistency has kept Kessel from becoming a great player and it's made him someone teams unload despite the offense and the salary retention on his contract.

Kessels playoff pt. totals have always been impressive tho for a guy that many here would label "soft".

GPGA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: PlayMakers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes