Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
The grass is always greener.

Right now DeBrusk has five more goals than Hall (same number of games played), is plus 20 over him, is five years younger, and makes about one-sixth of the salary. A costly trade for a slightly past-his-prime rental (no way the B's could afford to sign him as a UFA) would be idiotic. Save the money for Krug.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
The streakiness is infuriating. Both he and Krejci need to get it in gear. Krecji at least has the benefit of saying he's got a litany of knee and hip injuries. Jake doesn't have that excuse

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
So when does Jake get the Bjork/Heinen/Kuraly/Nordy/Wags treatment? I'd say he needs a night or two up on 9.

If Bruce isn't going to sit him, drop him in the line up and keep him there.

I love Jake but how many chances is he going to get while others seem to get benched or reduced ice time wen they mess up?

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
So when does Jake get the Bjork/Heinen/Kuraly/Nordy/Wags treatment? I'd say he needs a night or two up on 9.

If Bruce isn't going to sit him, drop him in the line up and keep him there.

I love Jake but how many chances is he going to get while others seem to get benched or reduced ice time wen they mess up?

With all the bodies they are going to have up soon and ready, everybody better know they need to bring maximum effort each night... and if they don't they should sit. JD has definitely been pretty poor lately. I'm hoping going back with Coyle will get him going.

No points in 8 straight... not good enough.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I alway defend this kid but last night was brutal completely disengaged
What was strange was Cassidy sat him for a bit of that third period then with about 3:30 remaining he was back out there stinking it up
I would like to be a fly on the wall when they are watching video of a game like that

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I alway defend this kid but last night was brutal completely disengaged
What was strange was Cassidy sat him for a bit of that third period then with about 3:30 remaining he was back out there stinking it up
I would like to be a fly on the wall when they are watching video of a game like that

the good news for Jake is at the very least, there will be plenty of bad video to watch for all the boys, outside of the 4th line, there was 15 other players who were putrid

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Streaky goal scorer. Hope he wakes back up soon.

Frustrating when he's "off".

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Streaky goal scorer. Hope he wakes back up soon.

Frustrating when he's "off".
sure is and with Jake, he rarely has a game where he appears off then flips the switch and things balance out. There was a game earlier this year where I think he was benched for a few shifts then scored a goal and looked far more engaged but that was the outlier.

I struggle with it but have to learn to accept that he is simply one of those very streaky players but what I have an issue with is that when he`s in the middle of one of his droughts, it affects his play all over the ice and he looks absolutely lost and often costs the team

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I honestly don't think he's been the same since that concussion. He was always streaky but it seems to have gotten worse since he got hit.

Reactions: jgatie

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I honestly don't think he's been the same since that concussion. He was always streaky but it seems to have gotten worse since he got hit.

you could be right

I know that after my 2nd concussion (and the more severe of the two I have had) I honestly didn`t feel "right" for almost a year, still had moments where bright lights, acute noises were terribly bothersome, had a few moments where vertigo set in and in case it isn`t clear, I wasn`t playing NHL hockey:laugh::sarcasm:

Reactions: BMC

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
That concussion set him back, no question about it. But he did have a few weeks here recently where he WAS registering points. I dunno what to say. I was prepared to be a big fan of his, and I still wanna be, but I can't help but wonder if he's set up for failure being on the second line with Krejci. I just don't know if they're a good fit for each other or not

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
That concussion set him back, no question about it. But he did have a few weeks here recently where he WAS registering points. I dunno what to say. I was prepared to be a big fan of his, and I still wanna be, but I can't help but wonder if he's set up for failure being on the second line with Krejci. I just don't know if they're a good fit for each other or not

Tbh it could that or his poor play along the boards

His inability to hold the puck (other than straight line), win puck battles still needs work

Isnt he up for a new deal next season? Not sure how it will play out at this rate

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

Sounds like an excuse. He's no more/less streaky than before. And just as lazy. He'll break out of it again once Cassidy gives him another kick in the ass.

Reactions: Estlin

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Prediction: Jake will become (and deservedly IMO) the new whipping boy of HF.

I don't think so. His style of play and drive to the net is too beloved for that. I believe we can all find a way to blame Kuraly, Wagner, or Moore for any problems.

Honestly, if we try hard enough, we can probably still use Heinen as a whipping boy.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Nah. Heinen's gone. Out of sight, out of mind. Or at least I wish him well.

And I like Jake a lot. But this streakiness, as well as his general ability to float, is getting on my nerves. I expect more of the guy if he's gonna be top 6 material. And if he's not, then, you have another problem with that second line, right?

I really do think he benefits playing more with Coyle than Krejci. Might do Krejci a favor to get away from jake for a good while, too, and play with a guy who can help him along the boards like Ritchie - assuming Ritchie's skating allows him to stick with the play

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Looking like a player who needs to use his speed to be effective,and finds that very difficult,not unusual.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Tbh it could that or his poor play along the boards

His inability to hold the puck (other than straight line), win puck battles still needs work

Isnt he up for a new deal next season? Not sure how it will play out at this rate

For puck possession all he needs to do is study Charlie Coyle who is the absolute master of it.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Statistically, his season isn't that much different from his first two.

In 2017 & 2018, he averaged 0.31 goals per game and 0.3 assists per game for a total of 0.62 points per game. This year he has 0.31 goals per game and 0.27 assists per game for a total of 0.58 points per game. Basically no difference. I think he's been just as streaky as other years, we're just thinking about it now because he's in an 8 game stretch with zero points. He's always been streaky, but this is the longest pointless streak of his career.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
For puck possession all he needs to do is study Charlie Coyle who is the absolute master of it.
I think moving down to play with Coyle will really benefit him and Bjork. Having a 30 goal guy on the other side will take attention away from Bjork allowing him some more space. When they were together for a short time earlier in the year they looked pretty good.

Plus he’s pretty much only played with Krejci his whole pro career so the change could be good for him.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Jake Debrusk 2019-20 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

hasnt scored a single point since Feb 8th

is he playing with some kind of injury?

Yeah, he's got chronic upper body streakiness. He's literally been this exact player for his entire pro career. I'm sure people will forget this when he gets on a hot streak again and we'll all be thinking that he's going to be a 40-goal scorer the next season. At least he has a dashing smile so people aren't too harsh when he goes through his 15-game slumps of doing absolutely nothing on the ice.

I'll say it now: signing him into a long term deal could be a huge mistake

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad