Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
jake has one streak of 14 points in 18 games... then another of 14 points in 13 games
he has just 6 points in his other 30 games

this level of streakiness is almost ridiculous to the level we might not be able to play him at playoff time ?!?

he looks so damn good when hes on one of his hot streaks though... I wonder what goes wrong? is it nagging injuries? is it work ethic? I sure as hell hope the team can fix it because I want to become a huge fan of this guy

28 points in 31 games during his 2 streaks this year... thats an elite level of second line production

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
jake has one streak of 14 points in 18 games... then another of 14 points in 13 games

this level of streakiness is almost ridiculous to the level we might not be able to play him at playoff time ?!?

he looks so damn good when hes on one of his hot streaks though... I wonder what goes wrong? is it nagging injuries? is it work ethic? I sure as hell hope the team can fix it because I want to become a huge fan of this guy

28 points in 31 games during his 2 streaks this year... thats an elite level of second line production
Yup DeBrusk won’t play in the playoffs, good call there, LMFAO.

Reactions: BradPark22

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

I generally like your posts but come on, that’s sports radio level nonsense.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I generally like your posts but come on, that’s sports radio level nonsense.

there once was this kid peter klima… pretty damn skilled guy too. he actually was a 40 goal scorer for the oilers

famously... in our huge ot game against them... they couldnt play him. he just wasnt bringing it... icecold… no effort

finally they run out of warm bodies and give him a shift... and pow he scores

didnt turn out well for us but it demonstrate my point. if guys are not strong defensively... and not really able to play physically... and then they go ice cold and are producing like a 4th liner while taking up valuable offensive zone starts and killing your second line center... then the ice time dries up

it does happen. it has happened.

I hope as much as anyone we see good debrusk at playoff time... but it is rather alarming just how streaky he has become

id like to know why... id like to see this problem fixed
some streakiness is normal but this is ridiculous level

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
there once was this kid peter klima… pretty damn skilled guy too. he actually was a 40 goal scorer for the oilers

famously... in our huge ot game against them... they couldnt play him. he just wasnt bringing it... icecold… no effort

finally they run out of warm bodies and give him a shift... and pow he scores

didnt turn out well for us but it demonstrate my point. if guys are not strong defensively... and not really able to play physically... and then they go ice cold and are producing like a 4th liner while taking up valuable offensive zone starts and killing your second line center... then the ice time dries up

it does happen. it has happened.

I hope as much as anyone we see good debrusk at playoff time... but it is rather alarming just how streaky he has become

id like to know why... id like to see this problem fixed
some streakiness is normal but this is ridiculous level

There’s no one to take his spot.

member 96824

giphy.gif

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
From Joey Mac's latest piece in the Athletic:

Leveraging their defensive mindset, Bruins begin to pull...

“Consistency throughout the lineup,” said Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy. “Creating offense, every line, because we don’t want to rely on one.”

In that vein, there’s perhaps nowhere better to start than with Jake DeBrusk. The young winger entered Tuesday night in the midst of a 10-game goal drought and had been struggling to a point where some thought it could be time for him to serve as a healthy scratch. He was lagging early against the Lightning, but he took advantage of an opportunity, scoring his first goal since Feb. 8, and it seemed to energize him — which may be exactly what he needs.

“Jake gets streaky and that’s what we’re trying to avoid,” Cassidy said. “The consistency issue, right? That’s what usually separates you eventually from being a really good player —and Jake’s a good player — but if he wants to get to the next level, it’s about getting out of these slumps quicker. There will be times when he doesn’t score but still plays well and we want him to do that.”

DeBrusk needs to be better consistently on the forecheck, on the backcheck and in the dirty areas. Once he gets truly motivated, watch out. On his goal, he used his speed and won a 50-50 puck race before being knocked to the ice. But he quickly made it back to his skates, created a breakaway and finished with a nice tally.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't think it's any great surprise that he scored after his drought. I think Coyle is a better fit stylistically than DK is, and that JDB should stay with Coyle for the remainder of the season. He's naturally streaky in general, as is DK, so right off the bat it's not a good idea to have those two together. When you couple in the differences in their games, it makes no sense at all to me. DK plays a half wall, slow it down, puck possession game while JDB wants to utilize his speed and skating ability.

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't think it's any great surprise that he scored after his drought. I think Coyle is a better fit stylistically than DK is, and that JDB should stay with Coyle for the remainder of the season. He's naturally streaky in general, as is DK, so right off the bat it's not a good idea to have those two together. When you couple in the differences in their games, it makes no sense at all to me. DK plays a half wall, slow it down, puck possession game while JDB wants to utilize his speed and skating ability.

If he scored during his drought, it would no longer be a drought. :sarcasm:

I also would looked to see DeBrusk with Coyle. I think it could work.

Reactions: hrdpuk and LSCII

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

A piece from the all knowing Haggs :sarcasm:

JDB is not a 6 mil per guy. Comparable players that Haggs mentioned were Boeser (VAN) (Not really) and Konecny (PHI) (more comparable).

Konecny is at 5.5 per. I still dont see JDB getting that though. IMO hes in the 4-5 per range and the lower end at that.

IMO they get him on a bridge prove it deal. He has had his streaks of inconsistency. But has still put up formidable numbers (helps flanking Krejci and playing a lot of time on PP1).

Thoughts?

member 96824

A piece from the all knowing Haggs :sarcasm:

JDB is not a 6 mil per guy. Comparable players that Haggs mentioned were Boeser (VAN) (Not really) and Konecny (PHI) (more comparable).

Konecny is at 5.5 per. I still dont see JDB getting that though. IMO hes in the 4-5 per range and the lower end at that.

IMO they get him on a bridge prove it deal. He has had his streaks of inconsistency. But has still put up formidable numbers (helps flanking Krejci and playing a lot of time on PP1).

Haggs is bored as f*** and has nothing to write about.

Yesterday Tuukka Rask is only worth $5M, today Jake DeBrusk is worth 6M.

Just a monkey throwing darts at a board

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Haggs is bored as f*** and has nothing to write about.

Yesterday Tuukka Rask is only worth $5M, today Jake DeBrusk is worth 6M.

Just a monkey throwing darts at a board
Oh for sure lol.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Looking at his history of resigning their own RFAs, is anyone really worried about Sweeney getting this done? Debrusk won’t see a penny over $3.5 million per.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Looking at his history of resigning their own RFAs, is anyone really worried about Sweeney getting this done? Debrusk won’t see a penny over $3.5 million per.
Oh I wasnt posting for the sake of worry. The Don will get it done as he always does. Haggs was just trying to stir the pot/grab attention with that little blurb about discounts and stuff.

Just wanted to discuss dollar amount/term people are thinking.

If JDB gets 3.5 per I would assume its a bridge deal of 2-3 years. More likely 2 IMO.

member 96824

Looking at things, it looks like the perfect situation for everyone involved would be him to expire in summer 2022. I don't think with our cap table structure they're interested in eating UFA years though and this year I think he really played himself out of any type of real big longer term deal.

I think everyone's right with a 2 year deal. Probably around $4M

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Looking at things, it looks like the perfect situation for everyone involved would be him to expire in summer 2022. I don't think with our cap table structure they're interested in eating UFA years though and this year I think he really played himself out of any type of real big longer term deal.

I think everyone's right with a 2 year deal. Probably around $4M
They can still hold him at RFA status at the end of a deal like that as well right? Thats also a big reason to do a bridge on the Bruins side if so.

And for JDB its more favorable as you said he sort of played himself out of a long term deal (at least at a dollar amount he would probably want and wouldnt get).

member 96824

They can still hold him at RFA status at the end of a deal like that as well right? Thats also a big reason to do a bridge on the Bruins side if so.

And for JDB its more favorable as you said he sort of played himself out of a long term deal (at least at a dollar amount he would probably want and wouldnt get).

Correct. He'd still expire a RFA on a 2 year deal.

Something beneficial for the Bruins is DeBrusk is not arbitration eligible, so the only real leverage point from the DeBrusk camp would be an offer sheet, and I think with the flat cap it's even less likely that we'll see many of those.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Correct. He'd still expire a RFA on a 2 year deal.

Something beneficial for the Bruins is DeBrusk is not arbitration eligible, so the only real leverage point from the DeBrusk camp would be an offer sheet, and I think with the flat cap it's even less likely that we'll see many of those.

Bingo. No leverage at all. Offer sheets are rarely used, and almost always are for franchise talent (e.g. Aho). I see 2 years at a $2.875 AVV

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Looking at some of the other recent bridge deals for RFA forwards, I'd guess DeBrusk gets in the $3.5-3.75M range. The only recent RFA forwards to get more than that on a 2 year deal were either stars or on their 3rd contract. With the small amount of free agent money available this year, I doubt he's getting an offer sheet unless he has a ridiculous playoff performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad