Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, he's got chronic upper body streakiness. He's literally been this exact player for his entire pro career. I'm sure people will forget this when he gets on a hot streak again and we'll all be thinking that he's going to be a 40-goal scorer the next season. At least he has a dashing smile so people aren't too harsh when he goes through his 15-game slumps of doing absolutely nothing on the ice.

It's kind of funny. Generally you don't see streaky players have such consistent point totals, especially in a young player. He had more assists his first year, and more goals his second, but it's averaged out this year.

He's only 23, but I think he is what he is at this point: a 2nd-line winger who will give you 25G/25A in 82 games, but will probably only give you 70-75 games due to injury, so the actual points will be lower. That kind of point production puts him in the top 120-150 forwards, which makes him a solid 2nd line winger, so there's no reason to be upset about his stats. He's exactly what we expect him to be.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's kind of funny. Generally you don't see streaky players have such consistent point totals, especially in a young player. He had more assists his first year, and more goals his second, but it's averaged out this year.

He's only 23, but I think he is what he is at this point: a 2nd-line winger who will give you 25G/25A in 82 games, but will probably only give you 70-75 games due to injury, so the actual points will be lower. That kind of point production puts him in the top 120-150 forwards, which makes him a solid 2nd line winger, so there's no reason to be upset about his stats. He's exactly what we expect him to be.

I do kind of wonder what some people think a 2nd line level player ought to be points-wise. It feels like around here that some want a 60-70 point guy. Anecdotally that seems to me to first line production on a lot of teams, maybe most of them, where a second line player is that 45-55 point guy. :dunno:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I do kind of wonder what some people think a 2nd line level player ought to be points-wise. It feels like around here that some want a 60-70 point guy. Anecdotally that seems to me to first line production on a lot of teams, maybe most of them, where a second line player is that 45-55 point guy. :dunno:

People absolutely have no idea what sort of point production equates to certain line players. I will admit there probably aren't as many top 6 calibre players in the NHL as there are top 6 lineup spots, but that just means we have to adjust our definition Here are the points per game ranges this year for the lines, based on 31 teams (3 playes x 31 team = 93 forwards for each line):

Line 1: 1.57 - .67 (82-game pace: 129 - 55)
Line 2: .67 - .48 (82-game pace: 55 - 39)
Line 3: .48 - .34 (82-game pace: 39 - 28)
Line 4: .34 - .20 (82-game pace: 28 - 16)

These ranges aren't new either. You look back 20 years, and it's basically the same.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Agreed. How many years did we go with our leading scorer having 55-65 points? It wasn't that long ago, and we won a cup one of those years.

20-25 goals on your second line is pretty dang awesome. We've been spoiled by the perfection line.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
I just don' think that Krejci and DeBrusk have any chemistry together. More like they play for themselves but it works, know what I mean? I think DeBrusk is having a good year myself. Considering that they have an incomplete line so to speak with guys coming and going, they do well. I really loved seeing DeBrusk play with Coyle for a bit there when Bergy was out. I wouldn't mind seeing them together again in the future.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Put him with Coyle and Seny or Studnicka
I have to admit, I really loved seeing Jake play on Charlie's line when Bergy was out. They seemed to have chemistry together.

I really think that the incident with Kadri has shied him away from physical contact this year. I have seen him do light checking here and there, but not bone crunching like everyone wants- Krejci barely throws any checks, but people give him a pass? Jake even admitted earlier this year that after the Kadri incident, he didn't feel the same- to me, it sounds like he had concussion symptoms from that crosscheck in the face. The Bruins never did confirm he had a concussion, but it was clear to me Jake wasn't the same player before that Kadri crosscheck.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Would make sense to try the new guys with Krech and put Jake with Coyle and Bjork for a bit to try something else.

Reactions: sarge88

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Would make sense to try the new guys with Krech and put Jake with Coyle and Bjork for a bit to try something else.

Would make sense to me to give Jake the Bjork/Heinen/Cehlarik treatment and let him have a seat upstairs for a game or two. He has not been good and I am mystified as to why he largely gets a pass from the coach for bad plays, not being hard on the puck, floating- all things he's publicly criticized other young players for doing. Yeah, he's sat Jake for a few shifts on rare occasions, but I don't get the binky thing.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Would make sense to me to give Jake the Bjork/Heinen/Cehlarik treatment and let him have a seat upstairs for a game or two. He has not been good and I am mystified as to why he largely gets a pass from the coach for bad plays, not being hard on the puck, floating- all things he's publicly criticized other young players for doing. Yeah, he's sat Jake for a few shifts on rare occasions, but I don't get the binky thing.
I agree that Jake is nearing that territory, especially with the added forward depth of Ritchie and Kase. The longer leash is probably due to the scoring threat that has been too bare outside the top 5 forwards. But if our two ducks can add that dimension Bruce should consider a wake-up call for Jake.

Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Where have you gone?

9 games 0 points -6.
always my biggest issue with Jake, the streaky offensive play I get, he`s hardly the first player who is known to be streaky but his D play also trends to the putrid state when he`s in one of his funks

I wonder if one of our analytics pro`s here could go back and evaluate those stretches when Jake isn`t scoring and his +/-, betcha he`ll always be a - in those stretches

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I wouldn't mind seeing Sweeney dangle Debrusk in the off season. Maybe he could swing another deal with Anaheim, this time for Rakell.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
always my biggest issue with Jake, the streaky offensive play I get, he`s hardly the first player who is known to be streaky but his D play also trends to the putrid state when he`s in one of his funks

I wonder if one of our analytics pro`s here could go back and evaluate those stretches when Jake isn`t scoring and his +/-, betcha he`ll always be a - in those stretches

this season he has 36 games without a point.

17 of them he had a +/- of 0
14 of them he was a negative
5 of them he was a positive

-9 overall in those games.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I have compared him to Grabner, but he's starting to remind me more of Jeff Skinner. Absolute work horse and a force on offense when he's on but invisible when he's not scoring.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
this season he has 36 games without a point.

17 of them he had a +/- of 0
14 of them he was a negative
5 of them he was a positive

-9 overall in those games.
Thank you, obviously I understand that when one isn`t producing, their chances of putting up + stats isn`t terrific but Heinen did it......I appreciate you looking this up

Don`t get me wrong, really like Jake but when he`s not producing, he also hurts the team which Heinen rarely did defensively yet crickets here from the pro Jake crowd when he`s in one of these slumps

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
With a time machine and Sweeneys ear, knowing what I know today not sure I would have taken JDB in a re-draft with any of those 3 picks.

Luckily he's still young and has time to hopefully take the next step.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
a case could be made that Jake should be joining Bjork upstairs but Butchy never see`s it like that, sure he`ll bench him for a shift or two but...

Some people have said the comps on Jake point to a $6m/yr pay day. Everyone loves Jake when he's scoring but I think it's important to remember stretches like this as well. Look at the good and the bad, and determine if he's really a $6m player. Right now, he's on pace for 23 goals and 43 points. He could go on a hot run and put up 10 points in 10 games or he might stay cold. It's frustrating because he looks like a 30+ goal scorer when he's riding high, but he's not consistent, and he's not involved in other ways, when he's not scoring.

Honestly, I'm not crazy about paying him $6m because he looks good in half of the games. Just because other teams gave out $6m contracts to their RFA's doesn't mean we have to. Plenty of teams trade RFA's because they don't believe they're worth the comps.

Personally, I'd try to get him to sign a bridge deal in the $4m range to see if he can find that consistency and maturity in his game before paying him big money and term. If that's a no go then I would consider trading him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Some people have said the comps on Jake point to a $6m/yr pay day. Everyone loves Jake when he's scoring but I think it's important to remember stretches like this as well. Look at the good and the bad, and determine if he's really a $6m player. Right now, he's on pace for 23 goals and 43 points. He could go on a hot run and put up 10 points in 10 games or he might stay cold. It's frustrating because he looks like a 30+ goal scorer when he's riding high, but he's not consistent, and he's not involved in other ways, when he's not scoring.

Honestly, I'm not crazy about paying him $6m because he looks good in half of the games. Just because other teams gave out $6m contracts to their RFA's doesn't mean we have to. Plenty of teams trade RFA's because they don't believe they're worth the comps.

Personally, I'd try to get him to sign a bridge deal in the $4m range to see if he can find that consistency and maturity in his game before paying him big money and term. If that's a no go then I would consider trading him.

This is pretty much where I am with him as well. He's gotten a lot of passes from the fanbase and from the coaching staff as well because when he's on, he's a very good player. He's just not on enough- if he isn't scoring goals, I want to see him contributing in other ways and yet he seems to be a floater out there when he's off. If he seriously wants $6m, qualify him and move him along. A bridge deal is the right thing- give him two seasons to find the consistency he lacks and if he does, he gets a nice big reward at the end. If not, Bruins are not stuck with another bloated, bad contract.

Reactions: Estlin

Richard Lather

Jan 28, 2020
I wouldn't mind seeing Sweeney dangle Debrusk in the off season. Maybe he could swing another deal with Anaheim, this time for Rakell.

This is the classic robbing Peter to pay Paul situation though. You move your second line left wing for a second line right wing. Who plays in DeBrusk's spot?

Ritchie hasn't proven he's a top 6 player in his career, Bjork hasn't really either. None of the kids down in Providence seem to be ready, nor should they be forced into playing top 6 minutes to enter the NHL.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Hopefully Sweeney doesn't go longer than 2 years for an extension with DeBrusk. I'm thinking something similar to Heinen's extension. 1 - 2 years, $3M AAV.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
With a time machine and Sweeneys ear, knowing what I know today not sure I would have taken JDB in a re-draft with any of those 3 picks.

Luckily he's still young and has time to hopefully take the next step.

Agreed. With all the crap Seguin took around here, Jake is Teflon, even with the brass it seems. He's an up and down rod hockey winger at this point.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Jake's seventh on the team in scoring and on a pace for another 20+ goal season. He's fourth in PPG and is a -1 overall. Making a contribution to this team's success. Like to see him at 2-3 mil for two to three years. He still has upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad