Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't get it either and I'm sick of it. People feel free to tee off on David Backes & Danton Heinen but Jake DeBrusk is an untouchable when it comes to criticism?? Give me a break. :eyeroll::shakehead
yep, skates fast at times, displays fun celly`s when he scores and for a goal scorer, has a whopping 3 more than Heinen right now

I want more from Heinen too but there`s no reason Jake is playing the minutes he does while playing this way

Reactions: BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
yep, skates fast at times, displays fun celly`s when he scores and for a goal scorer, has a whopping 3 more than Heinen right now

I want more from Heinen too but there`s no reason Jake is playing the minutes he does while playing this way

3 more goals in 5 less games with less PP time though.

I think JDB needs to score more as well, but I think Cassidy treats him the way he does because they need goals and he’s proven capable of giving them that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
3 more goals in 5 less games with less PP time though.

I think JDB needs to score more as well, but I think Cassidy treats him the way he does because they need goals and he’s proven capable of giving them that.
problem is, when he isn`t providing that, his game in other areas suffers, sorry, Jake (as with Heinen) should be bringing more and yet one gets the red carpet treatment, again, too many here offer Jake free passes

I like Jake a lot but he pi***s me off with his lazy play when things aren`t clicking offensively. Doesn`t drop down deep enough into his zone for the D to hit him with an easy pass for a potential easy chip out, often does the chop at the puck routine along the wall hoping he makes just the right contact to get the puck out rather than plant his feet and ensure it does....I could go on but I won`t

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
problem is, when he isn`t providing that, his game in other areas suffers, sorry, Jake (as with Heinen) should be bringing more and yet one gets the red carpet treatment, again, too many here offer Jake free passes

I like Jake a lot but he pi***s me off with his lazy play when things aren`t clicking offensively. Doesn`t drop down deep enough into his zone for the D to hit him with an easy pass for a potential easy chip out, often does the chop at the puck routine along the wall hoping he makes just the right contact to get the puck out rather than plant his feet and ensure it does....I could go on but I won`t

Fair enough.

I’d just really like to see what he could do if he was part of a complete and legitimate 2nd line.

Just a guy on the right who can score 22 or so goals, giving he and DK some support.

Reactions: missingchicklet

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fair enough.

I’d just really like to see what he could do if he was part of a complete and legitimate 2nd line.

Just a guy on the right who can score 22 or so goals, giving he and DK some support.
won`t argue there, need a winger who has a legit track record of playing in the top 6, those guys don`t grow on trees and typically aren`t moved for free.

Reactions: sarge88

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
he's most definitely the best trade chip we have to get that elusive RW. but i'd be
surprised if they did it. we'll see. i think our general expectations are to be
underwhelmed by any moves they make (though to sweeney's credit, last year's
moves were A+).

Jake scored 27 goals last season. Trading him now could prove to be a mistake furthermore ...if we do acquire a rwinger and trade Jake ..we now have a hole at left wing. Hall was up for grabs the bruins didn't get him . Had they gotten him quite certain he'd do well at rw.

member 96824

he's most definitely the best trade chip we have to get that elusive RW. but i'd be
surprised if they did it. we'll see. i think our general expectations are to be
underwhelmed by any moves they make (though to sweeney's credit, last year's
moves were A+).

Feels sort of like a Blake Wheeler situation, eh?

Reactions: neelynugs

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Feels sort of like a Blake Wheeler situation, eh?
the huge difference IMO is that Wheeler was a 3rd liner when he was traded and the Bruins had just added Seguin. They were trading from a position of strength and could afford to lose Wheeler in the short term. They already had Lucic, Marchand, Recchi & Horton as their top 4 wingers, so they could afford to trade Wheeler for a guy who was more immediately reliable. They were trading their 5th best winger at the time. With Debrusk they'd be trading their 3rd best winger.

Trading Debrusk for a RW just leaves a new hole on the left side, even if the deal is a net positive in the short term. If Jake can bring in a major impact winger I would trade him because I think you could make up the difference internally with a guy like Bjork (and Lauko later), but trading him for a marginal upgrade would be a mistake. Better to add to him. As @Coach Parker pointed out, you give 74 & 46 a real winger and any complaints about both of those guys will quickly be mitigated.

Reactions: Skelen

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
the huge difference IMO is that Wheeler was a 3rd liner when he was traded and the Bruins had just added Seguin. They were trading from a position of strength and could afford to lose Wheeler in the short term. They already had Lucic, Marchand, Recchi & Horton as their top 4 wingers, so they could afford to trade Wheeler for a guy who was more immediately reliable. They were trading their 5th best winger at the time. With Debrusk they'd be trading their 3rd best winger.

Trading Debrusk for a RW just leaves a new hole on the left side, even if the deal is a net positive in the short term. If Jake can bring in a major impact winger I would trade him because I think you could make up the difference internally with a guy like Bjork (and Lauko later), but trading him for a marginal upgrade would be a mistake. Better to add to him. As @Coach Parker pointed out, you give 74 & 46 a real winger and any complaints about both of those guys will quickly be mitigated.

I rather DeBrusk not play with Krejci. DeBrusk is a higher tempo winger, while Krejci is a slow pace center.

Reactions: Carlon Brando

member 96824

I don’t disagree with any of this, except maybe the creating a hole on the left side (depending on what came back for DeBrusk of course). I think Marchand, Heinen, Bjork as your top 9 LWs is still strong.

But I should have clarified, I meant for trade/asset value. Wheeler sucked to give up, but we knew that we had to go all in on that group. It was more of a timing thing than anything else and Wheeler was the best available trade chip we had.

I definitely prefer to NOT trade DeBrusk, but if he’s the piece and the return is something that helps improve the team for the 2020 playoffs, I can’t pull him off the table.

Reactions: neelynugs

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don’t disagree with any of this, except maybe the creating a hole on the left side (depending on what came back for DeBrusk of course). I think Marchand, Heinen, Bjork as your top 9 LWs is still strong.

But I should have clarified, I meant for trade/asset value. Wheeler sucked to give up, but we knew that we had to go all in on that group. It was more of a timing thing than anything else and Wheeler was the best available trade chip we had.

I definitely prefer to NOT trade DeBrusk, but if he’s the piece and the return is something that helps improve the team for the 2020 playoffs, I can’t pull him off the table.

Good post and I agree, not a guy I`m dangling for as much as he frustrates me at times (much like Heinen does but in a different way) but he`s not a guy I kill a trade for IF that piece coming back is one who undeniably fills a need while not leaving such a gaping hole by having to move Jake

I want either Palmieri or Smith out of Nashville

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

yup, i'd be comfortable (not ecstatic, but feet up) with marchand-bjork-heinen as the 1-2-3 LW
assuming debrusk brings you back a rakell or arvidsson type return. those 2 are on really nice
cap deals, both 26, both would be drastic upgrades on the RW. then coyle back at C and bring
up kuhlman:

marchand-bergy-pasta
bjork-krejci-arvidsson or rakell
heinen-coyle-kuhlman
nordstrom-kuraly-wagner

i'd add another vet (not a gionta type plug) at the deadline that can push the younger guys as well.

my one hesitation is that debrusk has shown the ability to up his game in the playoffs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
yup, i'd be comfortable (not ecstatic, but feet up) with marchand-bjork-heinen as the 1-2-3 LW
assuming debrusk brings you back a rakell or arvidsson type return. those 2 are on really nice
cap deals, both 26, both would be drastic upgrades on the RW. then coyle back at C and bring
up kuhlman:

marchand-bergy-pasta
bjork-krejci-arvidsson or rakell
heinen-coyle-kuhlman
nordstrom-kuraly-wagner

i'd add another vet (not a gionta type plug) at the deadline that can push the younger guys as well.

my one hesitation is that debrusk has shown the ability to up his game in the playoffs.

DeBrusk upped his game in one series against Toronto two years ago. He was, of course, amazing in that series.

But...

He was bad against Tampa that year. He scored 1 goal in each of the Bruins series last year (a 13 goal pace).

I worry its a case of first impressions sticking and he is basically a Ryder like streaky 20 goal scorer instead of the "core piece" folks were hoping for.

Reactions: Estlin

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
DeBrusk upped his game in one series against Toronto two years ago. He was, of course, amazing in that series.

But...

He was bad against Tampa that year. He scored 1 goal in each of the Bruins series last year (a 13 goal pace).

I worry its a case of first impressions sticking and he is basically a Ryder like streaky 20 goal scorer instead of the "core piece" folks were hoping for.

that's fair - tampa gave him troubles, although i guess the whole team fit into that boat.
last year i don't even know what to think, what with the rumors that he played with a
concussion. he sure didn't look right after the kadri hit.

after another half season of watching him every night, i'd be comfortable saying
that he is what he is. and his value is probably still pretty high, and i'd cash in now IF
you can get that legit top 6 RW that owns the traits we want.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
When your biggest asset is speed,it is very tough to consistently put in the effort to use it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
that's fair - tampa gave him troubles, although i guess the whole team fit into that boat.
last year i don't even know what to think, what with the rumors that he played with a
concussion. he sure didn't look right after the kadri hit.

after another half season of watching him every night, i'd be comfortable saying
that he is what he is. and his value is probably still pretty high, and i'd cash in now IF
you can get that legit top 6 RW that owns the traits we want.

I still think he has 30 goal upside. Concussions are not easy to come back from. Bergy certainly didn't look the same when he came back.

Even with his struggles, hes on pace for his 3rd 40pt season in 3 years. His floor is a 20G/40pt guy and he still is developing.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I still think he has 30 goal upside. Concussions are not easy to come back from. Bergy certainly didn't look the same when he came back.

Even with his struggles, hes on pace for his 3rd 40pt season in 3 years. His floor is a 20G/40pt guy and he still is developing.

But is he? Thats my concern. You can see that Pasta or Bjork have added to their game. I don't see anything different from DeBrusk. Maybe a little bit better at deflections? If anything his motor is worse.

Reactions: BMC and neelynugs

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

But is he? Thats my concern. You can see that Pasta or Bjork have added to their game. I don't see anything different from DeBrusk. Maybe a little bit better at deflections? If anything his motor is worse.

it's a good question. not everyone develops at the same pace. sometimes folks just assume
that everyone improves as they grow and play more games. not necessarily true. maybe
debrusk is what he is right now. that's why they pay the talent evaluators the big bucks.
it's a pretty big decision, especially when JD is staring down an extension this offseason.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Jake wears slumps. When he is going through a slump it’s obvious.

my complaint about Jake this season is he has been terrible at getting pucks out of the zone. Feels like 9/10 times he can’t get it out.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Logic would say yes, but every player is different. Again concussions are a tricky thing to come back from

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Logic would say yes, but every player is different. Again concussions are a tricky thing to come back from

Very true. And I don't want people to think I am Jake bashing. A 20 goal scorer that plays a style that should translate in the playoffs is a good player and valuable. But, I don't think the current version of DeBrusk sees top 6 action for the Bruins in 2011 or 2013.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad