Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Coyle style fits perfect for debrusk who will move around to find space while Coyle has puck

DeBrusk-Coyle

Bjork-Krejci-Heinen

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Coyle is also really good as a net front guy while DeBrusk and Kuhlman are buzzing.
You are preaching to the choir

if Cassidy wants to keep the super line he can still do DeBrusk & Coyle
and use Kuhlman or Ritchie on RW

and

Bjork-Krejci-Heinen

Reactions: PlayMakers

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
DeBrusk's early early season struggles.

21 takes, thoughts, trends from the first 21 days of NHL action

Another slow start for DeBrusk
Jake DeBrusk and October is not a match made in heaven. The Boston Bruins power forward has failed to hit the ground running in each October of his young NHL career. In 2017-18, he put up four points in 10 games. Last year, over a 12-game month, he pitched in just three goals. This season, through nine contests, he has three points, two of which came in Games 8 and 9.
"I don't know what it is," he said over the weekend, prior to scoring against Toronto. "I don't really necessarily like where my game's at right now overall, let alone statistic-wise, so I'm just trying to build and find my game."
DeBrusk tends to turn it on as the season progresses. In October, he's averaged 0.32 points per game, compared to 0.67 in the other combined months of the regular season

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
in last 11 games hes been good for 4 goals and 4 assists... 3 and 3 counted, but he actually made good plays on the 2 that didnt count in Colorado. not his fault they got called back

hes a streaky scorer like most secondary guys are... but this is the pace we might have expected this year. looking at him as a savior would be begging to be disappointed… but hes going to end up around 30 goals/60 points

{sadly those numbers get guys 6 million dollar contracts these days}

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
DeBrusk's early early season struggles.

21 takes, thoughts, trends from the first 21 days of NHL action

Another slow start for DeBrusk
Jake DeBrusk and October is not a match made in heaven. The Boston Bruins power forward has failed to hit the ground running in each October of his young NHL career. In 2017-18, he put up four points in 10 games. Last year, over a 12-game month, he pitched in just three goals. This season, through nine contests, he has three points, two of which came in Games 8 and 9.
"I don't know what it is," he said over the weekend, prior to scoring against Toronto. "I don't really necessarily like where my game's at right now overall, let alone statistic-wise, so I'm just trying to build and find my game."
DeBrusk tends to turn it on as the season progresses. In October, he's averaged 0.32 points per game, compared to 0.67 in the other combined months of the regular season
Nice to hear him own his mistakes and struggles. That's usually the first step to getting back on track, and to his credit he has been getting better and has been particularly good with Heinen on the line.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
in 15 games now he has 6 goals and 5 assists... some high quality secondary depth scoring production

in rough numbers it projects to a 30 goal/60 point season

its what we need to be true cup contenders... but it will end up costing us some coin on the next contract

No it won't. Debrusk will sign for a solid team friendly deal like everyone else.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
in 15 games now he has 6 goals and 5 assists... some high quality secondary depth scoring production

in rough numbers it projects to a 30 goal/60 point season

its what we need to be true cup contenders... but it will end up costing us some coin on the next contract

Jake is at 6G and 6A in 22 games. That’s only about a 20-20 pace.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think he gets hot somewhere to have good numbers and another 25 or so goal year. Part of it is playing on a team that will win the Presidents Trophy but most of its him.

How many 40 point middle 6 guys would you rather have?

And he’s young he might find another gear in a couple years and the contract after this becomes the hard one.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I think he gets hot somewhere to have good numbers and another 25 or so goal year. Part of it is playing on a team that will win the Presidents Trophy but most of its him.

How many 40 point middle 6 guys would you rather have?

And he’s young he might find another gear in a couple years and the contract after this becomes the hard one.

He doesn't even need to find another gear. He just needs to find more consistency. If DeBrusk could play more consistently like when he's hot, he is a 30G, 60+ point guy all day.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He doesn't even need to find another gear. He just needs to find more consistency. If DeBrusk could play more consistently like when he's hot, he is a 30G, 60+ point guy all day.

Of course but you could likely say that about most 40 point middle 6 NHLers.

After watching a great one in Mojo leave taking a pay cut no less we all bitched about the depth wingers but every team in the NHL would kill to have 2 top 5 wingers on the first line. And DeBrusk/Bjork/Heinen for 3/4 middle 6 wing spots.

Studnicka and Seny with very good cameos also helps things.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Jake is at 6G and 6A in 22 games. That’s only about a 20-20 pace.

I guess my point was... he was a little snake bitten early. perhaps some of it due to his injuries and recovery? he also got at least 2 good effort points taken off the table with rather cheap questionable officiating decesions

obviously theres no guarantee he will stay healthy the rest of the year... or that more cheap questionable officiating decesions wont screw him over... but we are seeing again that when hes on his game there is true quality here

id still flip him for hall... hall is elite. I dont think debrusk has it in him to be elite. I think debrusk ceiling is as a top end second liner. its definitely a quality use of a middle of the first rounder pick. people that thought they were clever calling him debust… should realize their mistake by now.

people that got upset at him for getting hurt in last years playoffs should realize that when healthy he can be very productive.

he has played well enough to get some props now... so im extending him my thumbs up. theres no question at all that keeping him healthy is a huge part of our chances at success.

Reactions: sarge88 and Estlin

Carlon Brando

May 22, 2014
Boston
When is the last time this guy actually threw a body check on someone? A lot of players get crap (deservedly so) for being soft and passive, but DeBrusk is currently the KING of the lazy fly-by forecheck and the ol’ golf-swing-chop-to-avoid-possibly-having-to-absorb-a-hit maneuver. Seems his dust up with Kadri in the playoffs was the last we ever saw of him demonstrating any semblance of physicality. Disappointing.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
When is the last time this guy actually threw a body check on someone? A lot of players get crap (deservedly so) for being soft and passive, but DeBrusk is currently the KING of the lazy fly-by forecheck and the ol’ golf-swing-chop-to-avoid-possibly-having-to-absorb-a-hit maneuver. Seems his dust up with Kadri in the playoffs was the last we ever saw of him demonstrating any semblance of physicality. Disappointing.

DeBrusk has never been a volume hitter. He'll throw some every once in a while, and that seems to be enough to get by to not label him as 'soft' like others.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Hitting is not his game. He is however, gritty as f*** and battles hard in front of the net and along the walls.

Carlon Brando

May 22, 2014
Boston
Hitting is not his game. He is however, gritty as **** and battles hard in front of the net and along the walls.
I know what you’re saying, and I basically agree. I mean I get that hitting is not “his game”, and I’m not sitting here expecting him to be an enforcer or anything. But hitting is not (for example) Bergeron, Krejci, or Bjork’s game either, yet I still see them attempting to finish checks or at least play the body with greater regularity than DeBrusk. I just don’t see why he can’t throw hits at the rate of, say, Nordstrom. Same goes for a few other guys. Would make a difference in big boy games like tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->