Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I know what you’re saying, and I basically agree. I mean I get that hitting is not “his game”, and I’m not sitting here expecting him to be an enforcer or anything. But hitting is not (for example) Bergeron, Krejci, or Bjork’s game either, yet I still see them attempting to finish checks or at least play the body with greater regularity than DeBrusk. I just don’t see why he can’t throw hits at the rate of, say, Nordstrom. Same goes for a few other guys. Would make a difference in big boy games like tonight.

What I want to see out of DeBrusk is to showcase his speed more. When he moves his feet and keeps his motor running high, he's a good player and helps make things happen. Some nights, he doesn't seem to skate hard, but I'll never question the kids guts. I think he mucks it up along the boards and in front of the net as hard as anyone on the team.

Reactions: Samsonov

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
What I want to see out of DeBrusk is to showcase his speed more. When he moves his feet and keeps his motor running high, he's a good player and helps make things happen. Some nights, he doesn't seem to skate hard, but I'll never question the kids guts. I think he mucks it up along the boards and in front of the net as hard as anyone on the team.

DeBrusk is gritty, and willing to get dirty, can't deny him that. But his primary role on this team is to score goals, or failing that to be banking points by assisting others to score. Currently he's on pace for around 40 points, which is worse than last season, and just 20 goals. It's not terrible, but it's also not good enough for a guy who's supposed to be driving the scoring on his line and is getting an average of 16 min TOI per game and some regular PP time.

I wouldn't say he's gone backwards but he's just stagnated - I can't think of a single thing he's doing better this season than he did last, except maybe his screening and work in front of the net has improved slightly. You note his speed and I agree 100% - one thing he was doing well was finding space and creating separation from opponents, but that and his touch of flair with the puck on his stick have rarely been seen this year. Instead he's becoming just another small-ish grunt player on a team that already has quite enough of them.

As I said, I don't think he's been awful and he's far from alone in fighting for form at the moment, but I feel like it's particularly frustrating with Jake because he's young, should still be developing, and has high-level talent and that rare ability to do things that make you gasp and take notice, but at present it's not really happening for him.

On the flip side, young players have their peaks and troughs and that's normal, and in mitigation he's lacked consistent line-mates all season. We're a bit over a third of the season in now, I think it's fair to give him another third or so and hopefully some more stability before giving a more firm opinion on how he's travelling. Hopefully he'll soon turn the corner and not look back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He had a very good stretch of games when he first came back, and I love that he's passing more this year, but he's definitely 'relaxed' again. For a guy with all that speed and acceleration it drives me nuts to see him gliding in on the forecheck or backcheck. The first goal against OTT he had a super lazy forecheck while we were changing, he didn't get pressure, they made a stretch pass and boom! It's in our net.

I don't know what it is about Cassidy and this guy but he never gets the kick in the ass treatment that other players get. He played 3 minutes more than any forward against Colorado even though he had no shots. He played almost 21 minutes against Washington and had no shots.

He seems like a character kid, I bet he'd respond well to some tough love.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He had a very good stretch of games when he first came back, and I love that he's passing more this year, but he's definitely 'relaxed' again. For a guy with all that speed and acceleration it drives me nuts to see him gliding in on the forecheck or backcheck. The first goal against OTT he had a super lazy forecheck while we were changing, he didn't get pressure, they made a stretch pass and boom! It's in our net.

I don't know what it is about Cassidy and this guy but he never gets the kick in the ass treatment that other players get. He played 3 minutes more than any forward against Colorado even though he had no shots. He played almost 21 minutes against Washington and had no shots.

He seems like a character kid, I bet he'd respond well to some tough love.

well said friend, the free pass he often gets from far too many here and the coach is perplexing.

False Start

May 8, 2018
How did this guy make the NHL skating the way he does.

I'm being serious. He's fast as hell and is a bulldog out there. But one slight fumble of the puck and he can't use his edges to change directions quick enough. He's constantly doing flybys with wide ass turns because he's moving so fast, his momentum doesn't allow him to make small adjustments.

The defenders have a book on him when he rushes the puck. Take away his space and he can't just skate right by you. He doesn't have the agility or the hands.

I don't get it. He's still awesome and I love his game and his infectious energy but when he's skating the same way Sean Kuraly does it's not really surprising when he disappears game to game. He just doesn't control the puck very well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't get it either and I'm sick of it. People feel free to tee off on David Backes & Danton Heinen but Jake DeBrusk is an untouchable when it comes to criticism?? Give me a break. :eyeroll::shakehead

and Butch too, quick to plant almost anyone else to the bench but there`s #74, taking his regular turn out there. 4 separate plays last night literally died on his stick and another 2 defensive zone plays he takes his signature tomahawk chop at the puck to try and clear it, both times the Caps D man keeps it in and where is Jake? He peels off every time after doing it towards the goalie and now he`s not even in position to pressure the D man who has the puck

I love the kid, lots to learn though. He and Kuraly have been my personal biggest disappointments this season. IMO, the 4th line is driven by Kuraly and he`s playing like he is driving 24 Guiness into his guts before every game

Reactions: BMC

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't get it either and I'm sick of it. People feel free to tee off on David Backes & Danton Heinen but Jake DeBrusk is an untouchable when it comes to criticism?? Give me a break. :eyeroll::shakehead
This is completely fair, and i agree. The only thing i see that DeBrusk does is ups his physical game and kind of goes into that extra gear in the post season, where as Heinen gets worse because he has the physicality and emotion of Watermelon.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I'd consider moving him, honestly.

It would have to be a good cost controlled player coming back for me to consider moving him. He certainly is frustrating to watch. I think he's one of the 3 best skaters on the team, but we rarely see it. I think he's got one of the 3 best shots on the team, but we rarely see it and he can be one of the most tenacious players when hounding the puck, but we also rarely see that.

Of all our young forwards I think his upside is the greatest, but his effort and consistency deficiencies even after 3 season are a big red flag.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I still don't think he's 100%, and that he's recovering from the concussion he had in last years playoffs.

He reminds me a lot of Grabner. Fast north-south winger that isn't really physical, but can score goals. He's already better than Grabner, but I see his ceiling as a 40-50ish pt player. Out of Bjork, Heinen, and DeBrusk, I think DeBrusk has the lowest ceiling but has the best chance out of the three of reaching it (I don't know if I'm using "ceiling" correctly).

With that said, I would not consider him untouchable. If he can return a young top 6 RW, I would be all for it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
and Butch too, quick to plant almost anyone else to the bench but there`s #74, taking his regular turn out there. 4 separate plays last night literally died on his stick and another 2 defensive zone plays he takes his signature tomahawk chop at the puck to try and clear it, both times the Caps D man keeps it in and where is Jake? He peels off every time after doing it towards the goalie and now he`s not even in position to pressure the D man who has the puck

I love the kid, lots to learn though. He and Kuraly have been my personal biggest disappointments this season. IMO, the 4th line is driven by Kuraly and he`s playing like he is driving 24 Guiness into his guts before every game

Kuraly is a huge puzzle for me this year too. I don't know what is going on with him but until recently he has not been good at all

Reactions: Dr Hook

Carlon Brando

May 22, 2014
Boston
Kuraly is a huge puzzle for me this year too. I don't know what is going on with him but until recently he has not been good at all
This is just how Kuraly is. He has very poor vision and coordination, and during the regular season he can seem pretty useless out there a lot of the time. But his game is MUCH more tailored to the playoff atmosphere, where his good traits like speed, energy, and "clutch-ness" really come through. So I give him a pass for basically the entire regular season since he's a 4th liner anyway and just hope he contributes defensively and killing penalties until the post season comes and he can start to shine.

DeBrusk was very much trending in that same direction as a player in terms of stepping up in the playoffs, until Kadri cross checked him in the head last year. The problem is we can't wait all season for him to get into post season form since he's a 2nd liner and is depended on to contribute offensively. If you're a scorer, but you're not scoring, then you at least better not be passive and coasting as well. Hopefully he figures it out soon.

Reactions: Krupp and BMC

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ive seen recent comments during our losing streak that we have no secondary scoring... that debrusk should be demoted to the 3rd line... that he isnt doing his job

would it surprise anyone if I told them debrusk has 6 goals and 6 assists for 12 points in his last 16 games?

1/5th of the season... a pretty good chunk of time...

it is a 30 goal/60 point pace

hes clearly a very legitimate second line scorer... hes still a kid and still improving. I might question if his style/krejci style compliment one another... but hes good. hes a good second line talent. hes a good use of a first round pick. hes good

lets remember he lost a couple points to very questionable officiating/rule enforcement too. bad luck. his numbers are very respectable but by all rights deserve to be higher.

and lets remember... we all agree he never has a strong off-wing to play with. basically hes on a line with an anchor most the time. hes producing well, despite a center that doesnt accent his strengths and a rw that holds him back.

I am dreaming a bit of a line next year with coyle centering senyshyn and debrusk. 3 big good skating guys that can crash and bash

let krejci play with the smart cerebral guys Heinen/Bjork... and shop krejci for a great trade opportunity when studnicka shows us hes ready to step up.

Reactions: sarge88

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

I think in the case of Jake Debrusk . Kid has lots going for him. Talented kid as for the others mentioned .what you see is pretty much what you're going get ...which is not much.
I'm hoping Jake puts it together consistently.. I haven't seen him
Break through the D as he did last season.. if he spirals downwards
DK will have no one to pass too

Reactions: BMC

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He has been nullified by his good performance last year. Teams are getting on him quick to stop his outside push, basically his only play. He is not a one timer guy that can be set up. Krech likes guys likes that, bad fit going forward, move him out or to the 3rd line.

Easy to have a good year as a unknown but once teams catch on and have a book on you it is up to the player to over come the closer checking and attention. So far I do not see it and Krech is handcuffed trying to find him on the ice. They almost never play 3 on 3 in OT, kinda tells me something there when the RW excuse does not fly. If he does score it is on deflections on the power play or net drives. Most times teams just push him to the corner and nothing happens as his passing game is not that great.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

Agreed. I've mentioned in the trade thread that Debrusk may be the best trade chip to acquire a top-six right-shot RW. Bjork, whom I think is as talented as Derbrusk (maybe more so), can replace him.

he's most definitely the best trade chip we have to get that elusive RW. but i'd be
surprised if they did it. we'll see. i think our general expectations are to be
underwhelmed by any moves they make (though to sweeney's credit, last year's
moves were A+).

Reactions: Estlin

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
he's most definitely the best trade chip we have to get that elusive RW. but i'd be
surprised if they did it. we'll see. i think our general expectations are to be
underwhelmed by any moves they make (though to sweeney's credit, last year's
moves were A+).

I’d like to see him get the chance to play with a RW that can score goals so he’s not Krejci’s only legit option.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I’d like to see him get the chance to play with a RW that can score goals so he’s not Krejci’s only legit option.

He floats around stick checking people. Krejci and him are not a good match. Debrusk belongs on a third line against weak matchups.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
DeBrusk needs to watch from upstairs for a game or two.

He holds onto the puck far too long and by the time (if) he dishes it off it's too late. A game or two, maybe he will realize he doesn't have the time and space he thinks he has.

Based on Bruce's track record it won't happen. If he was named Heinen, Bjork, or Clifton, to name a few, he would.

Reactions: BMC and Estlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad