Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Stamkos in OT who had the puck and Debrusk hustled back 10000 mph to backcheck and get the puck off him. It was great to see. A little more of that would be appreciated.

yep, I`ve mentioned what bothers me most about Jake`s game when the offense isn`t there but thought he had a nice game last night and that play is a terrific example of the hustle and focus needed when a player is struggling. May not be helping the team offensively but you also don`t want to be hurting them defensively

Reactions: BMC

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I know it's easier said than done but I'd like to see Jake play a little more "reckless", kind of like a Yanni Gourde.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'd like to see him moving his feet a bit more. When he's in 'puck hound' mode, he's at his best.

Agreed. Haven’t seen it yet through this first stretch though. When he’s got the motor humming he’s a treat to watch.

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Stamkos in OT who had the puck and Debrusk hustled back 10000 mph to backcheck and get the puck off him. It was great to see. A little more of that would be appreciated.

I think he made the play with Grzelcyk at the other end that almost won the game, then made the backcheck. It was a great shift but an otherwise very poor game from him.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
You don't get it all. Your the only one ranting here,no one else is.

I like Debrusk and he has value and if the bruins are going to fix their second line woes they need to trade valuable assets. If they can do it without moving Jake great, but my post was I'd move him for a stud RW/Winger, maybe none of those guys are attainable then logic says you don't move him. This isn't rocket science.

Jake being juggled all over the line-up which games are you watching? How do you know Hall can be had for free? He's FA that means every team can bid on is services not just the Bruins, and its far from stupid to give up assets for an elite player like Taylor when its a sign and trade, stupid would be not trying to acquire him, because you think you can get him for free in the off season and pass up a chance to make your team a whole lot closer to winning the cup this year.

If Hall hits free agency, and Boston is the place he wants to sign, then he's free. That should go without saying.

And JD may be on that second line but he has been juggled with linemates, so sorry for not wording that properly. Between Lindholm, DK and Coyle as his centers. Last year, he had DK 90% of the time as his center.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Yes and Gretzky,Esposito, Seguin, Hall, Kessel, Vorachek, Ryan Orielly and Ryan Johansson will and have never been traded. Your a fool if you don't make phone calls and the poster stated he would trade Debrusk in a package for an elite winger and basically if the bruins are going to acquire one the first two names that opposing GM's are going to throw Sweeneys way are DeBrusk and Carlo. I for one would much rather keep Carlo.

The definition of stupid would be, not to try and bring in Hall because you think you can get him for free at the end of a season ,when your team is this close to the Stanley Cup. You don't wait if a deal can be made. Sure closer to the deadline he'll come cheaper, but what makes you think someone else doesn't offer up a better deal, ala Stone.

Alright listen here for a second, please.

You trade DeBrusk, you now have a hole on 2LW. BUT you get your 2RW, awesome right? Now we have to fill the 2LW and although that player we acquired may be better than Jake, his spot is now open. So we slot in a kid (Kulhman, Heinen, Bjork etc.) but they don't click, or get hurt, or are better suited on a different line. Now we're right back in the exact same spot we were just in before we traded DeBrusk except it's the left side hole instead of the right. Maybe we even throw in Carlo or whomever to help get that elite player but there is another hole(s).

I'm not saying there isn't a hole on 2RW and I'm not saying we should wait another year. Jake DeBrusk is not the player you trade to fix that problem. Neither is Carlo. Krug, maybe. You use picks and prospects which DS isn't willing to deal. He's still working to get the cap in orderwhich he made some big steps with this offseason.

The 2RW will come, in time. I wish we had someone like Hall, or *insert elite player name here* but it hasn't come yet. They want McAvoy, Carlo, or DeBrusk the convo ends there. Hence why we didn't get Stone.

Last edited:

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Overall I'm pretty disappointed in DeBrusk thus far. In his third season I was expecting a lot more in terms of effort and consistency and ability to generate chances. There has already been a couple games this season where I thought he was injured or a healthy scratch until I checked the box score and saw he actually was dressed.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Alright listen here for a second, please.

You trade DeBrusk, you now have a hole on 2LW. BUT you get your 2RW, awesome right? Now we have to fill the 2LW and although that player we acquired may be better than Jake, his spot is now open. So we slot in a kid (Kulhman, Heinen, Bjork etc.) but they don't click, or get hurt, or are better suited on a different line. Now we're right back in the exact same spot we were just in before we traded DeBrusk except it's the left side hole instead of the right. Maybe we even throw in Carlo or whomever to help get that elite player but there is another hole(s).

I'm not saying there isn't a hole on 2RW and I'm not saying we should wait another year. Jake DeBrusk is not the player you trade to fix that problem. Neither is Carlo. Krug, maybe. You use picks and prospects which DS isn't willing to deal. He's still working to get the cap in orderwhich he made some big steps with this offseason.

The 2RW will come, in time. I wish we had someone like Hall, or *insert elite player name here* but it hasn't come yet. They want McAvoy, Carlo, or DeBrusk the convo ends there. Hence why we didn't get Stone.

You wouldnt take Hall if Debrusk was part of the deal??
Id do that in a second if it didnt involve another star player from our roster.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
You wouldnt take Hall if Debrusk was part of the deal??
Id do that in a second if it didnt involve another star player from our roster.

1 for 1, yeah I take it. Won't be that simple though and he'd need an extension. But that still leaves a hole in the lineup even if we did upgrade the roster. I think Hall has some serious talks with Boston before signing anywhere this offseason so it's hard for me to justify trading for him

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
What you think they sign Debrusk at if he does something like 15-21-36? 3m per for 4? Am I being too optimistic? Bit more?

Probably less. I thought something like 3x3 would be fair if he had another 40-50 point season. Lots of good comparables in that range. If he can't hit 40 points/20 goals it's not going to be any better than that.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Probably less. I thought something like 3x3 would be fair if he had another 40-50 point season. Lots of good comparables in that range. If he can't hit 40 points/20 goals it's not going to be any better than that.

lets look at that

timo meier has 55 goals and 110 points in 200 games... reward is 4 years x 6mill
Nick Schultz had 37 goals and 112 points in 185 games... getting 5.875 for the next 7 years
travis kopecky with all his hype has 62 goals and 131 points in 238 games... 5.5 mill for 6 years
Colin White just 17 goals and 49 points but also just 100 games... 4.75 mill for 6 years
Christian dvorak gets 4.45 mill for next 6 years... 35 goals 81 points in 182 games

does debrusk measure up?
currently 43 goals and 86 points in 145 games

so debrusk should be the highest goal scoer and quite possibly the highest point toal of any of these comparables by the time he gets his new deal. I can tell you one thing, you wouldnt get hired as an agent with your skills at finding comparables.

I am actually really confused who you found
jacub vrana? just 43 goals and 85 points? debrusk is already better

Kasperi Kapanan? really?? 29 goals and 59 points... debrusk should best those totals in just 1 year lol

ondrej Kase? is this the 'comparable?'

honestly... before we spread too much misinformation lets do a little research please.

if debrusk was signing his contract last year you might possibly be able to compare him to kapanan or vrana but you have to account for age/role on a team/and definitely scoring...

players can go to arbitration if a team is trying to screw them over.

debrusk is a 'successful' first round pick who is playing an important second line role on his team and has already had a 25 goal season before his 23rd birthday... in his 2 seasons of play he is averaging over 20 goals per year.

if we can convince him to sign on around 4.5 mill we need to get all over that... he isnt a center like white/dvorak could be but they often play wing so these guys are the easy low hanging fruit that debrusks real qualified and capable agent is going to zero in for 'comparables'

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ill throw out a crazy contract idea for debrusk

4 mill in year 1.. 2 mill in year 2... 5 in year 3

gives us a great annual cap average at 3.66 which is a godsend for a contenting team

he has to get qualified at 5 mill for year 4 so if he takes the qualifier it works out to a 16 mill 4 year deal for him and walks him to ufa and a big payday... more likely though we end up giving him his 6-7 year deal when hes 26 and we avoid signing him in his mid 30's

these short term deals for rfa that reduce average cap hit for the team... but have a big qualifier number at the end of the deal became popular this year. my prediction, they will get even more popular the next 2 years as the cap freezes

the 'kids' are going to have to 'wait' for their big payday raises now and this is the best way to win-win for both the team and the player

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
ill throw out a crazy contract idea for debrusk

4 mill in year 1.. 2 mill in year 2... 5 in year 3

gives us a great annual cap average at 3.66 which is a godsend for a contenting team

he has to get qualified at 5 mill for year 4 so if he takes the qualifier it works out to a 16 mill 4 year deal for him and walks him to ufa and a big payday... more likely though we end up giving him his 6-7 year deal when hes 26 and we avoid signing him in his mid 30's

these short term deals for rfa that reduce average cap hit for the team... but have a big qualifier number at the end of the deal became popular this year. my prediction, they will get even more popular the next 2 years as the cap freezes

the 'kids' are going to have to 'wait' for their big payday raises now and this is the best way to win-win for both the team and the player

I like where you are heading with this, also would like to see Jake earn that payday . Lot`s of hockey to be played but the kid has been anything but solid to begin the year

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Contract year is what it is Alberta. If he has a below average year after a below average playoff, those first two seasons are going to be distant memories.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I like where you are heading with this, also would like to see Jake earn that payday . Lot`s of hockey to be played but the kid has been anything but solid to begin the year

Agreed. His play can be aggravating at times. Not sure if my expectations are too high for him or if he’s really that struggling to watch.

Probably a little bit of both.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agreed. His play can be aggravating at times. Not sure if my expectations are too high for him or if he’s really that struggling to watch.

Probably a little bit of both.
played a solid game all around last night which was nice to see. I hope slamming home his first helps him in his overall game going forward

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I liked the Debrusk - Coyle combo last night .

I did too. DeBrusk's best shifts this season have come with Coyle and Kuhlman. Against TB they had a great zone entry and cycle that resulted in Kuhlman letting a bomb go from the high slot. Against the Leafs they were a real presence and had 9 shots on goal.

I'd like to see more of that line and I'd like to see Heinen with Krejci when he comes back.

Reactions: DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad