Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Move Pastrnak with Krejci and have studnicka play with Bergeron

marchand-Bergeron-studnicka

Ritchie-Krejci-Pastrnak (Ritchie protects Pasta and does the lines dirty work)

Debrusk- Coyle- Kase

whatever combo of 4th liners you want, hopefully with Frederic added to the fold in the last couple weeks

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don’t think Studnicka would have any issue playing wing. I posted this in the line up thread.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase
Kuraly-Frederic-Wagner

big strong line up that is good at both ends of the ice.

Didn’t Bergeron play a lot of RW his rookie year?

Reactions: lopey

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Debrusk- Coyle- Kase

whatever combo of 4th liners you want, hopefully with Frederic added to the fold in the last couple weeks

The problem is tests like this should happen way earlier than today.

When the team should be gearing up for a long playoff run.

Reactions: EvilDead

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
We know Bjork and Kuhlman are not gonna do shit in the top 9. Try Studnicka!
I agree strongly with this! What is there to lose? Give him 5-6 games as RW on the 2nd or 3rd line and see what happens. It doesn’t ruin him as a future C. Worst case scenario he isn’t better than what they have and he goes back to Providence with some more NHL experience. But maybe he is better than Bjork and Kuhlman and he makes the team better in the playoffs and adds more depth.

Reactions: missingchicklet

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Exactly. If they wanted to test Studnicka's ability to play in the NHL by pairing him on the right with Bergeron, they should have done it earlier in the season. That ship has sailed now and to mess with the chemistry of Pastrnak, Bergeron and Marchand will do no good.

Reactions: BB88

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Bring this guy up already. If anyone thinks him playing on wing will ruin him for playing C then he was never going to be in the NHL anyways. If you can play C you can play the wing, simple as that.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Stud or Frederic IMO. They atleast need some looks in the last few games. Given how we got pushed around by TB maybe Frederic is the better choice since he's running around like a maniac in Providence

Reactions: BMC

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
How many more NHL games can he play before losing a year for elc purposes and making him eligible to be protected for the Kraken?

He already used up a year of his ELC this year by playing in Providence. There's nothing that can happen to make him eligible for the expansion draft.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
i believe so

plus breaking him in next to Bergeron is something I find very appealing
I like the idea of Studnicka being up,, I don't like the idea of playing a kid who has never played wing before starting at the NHL level.

63-37-88
21-46-28
73-13-14
Frederic/Kuraly-Studnicka/Lindholm-Nordstrom/Bjork. Mix and match over the last 13 games and see what happens and if you find some chemistry. Also would look at Gaunce and Senyshyn. If Kuraly-Lindholm-Bjork is your best line then fine use it and go into the playoffs with it. If Frederic and Studnicka outplay the vets then use them. Go with your most productive players that fit that role.

Studnicka now has 8 short handed goals, he obviously can kill penalties and possibly produce more offense than the other fourth line choices. If one of the top 3 center go down in game I would have more faith in Studnicka in one of those spots possibly producing offense than Lindholm.

Frederic wold have been a very nice addition Saturday night vs Tampa. He would be a nice addition for 14 possible games between Washington and Tampa in April and May.

While the Nordstrom-Kuraly-Lindholm line will shut another team down and has some playoff experience Frederic-Studnicka and one of those vets may not be as capable as shutting down a top scoring line but they very well could produce more offense in a close game. With a healthy D and hopefully a good Rask the Bruins can use a little more offense and a little more grit which Frederic and Studnicka will provide. Studnicka is also not shy about being more than a little chippy and dirty at times.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm as excited about this kid as everyone else, but I think everyone needs to pump the breaks a bit. I see some calling him up and putting him in a top 6 RW role. I see others saying we need to trade Krejci in the off-season to make room for Studnicka. This is all crazy, the kid has been very good this year, but I think some here think he's going to be some savior right out of the gate.

I have to think if Boston was going to give him a look at RW, it would have happened already. If Studnicka to RW was an option, why wouldn't they have gotten a look at him there before the TDL? This all goes back to a comment earlier in the year (camp maybe) where Sweeney or Bruce said that Studnicka would only make the team as a Center.

As for trading Krejci, seriously? Coyle is a nice player, but he's not a legit #2C in the NHL. Moving Krejci to make Coyle your #2 and Studnicka your #3 just weakens the team down the middle. While Coyle is a better C than RW, if push came to shove I'd put Coyle on Krejci RW and let Studnicka take 3C. Just looking quickly at CF%, SF% and SCF%, Krejci is toward the top of linemates for Coyle.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Bjork - Krejci - Coyle
DeBrusk - Studnicka - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

^Before people get pissed about Bjork/DeBrusk, Coyle's numbers away from DeBrusk appear to be better. Not by much, but he's still been better away from DeBrusk.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm as excited about this kid as everyone else, but I think everyone needs to pump the breaks a bit. I see some calling him up and putting him in a top 6 RW role. I see others saying we need to trade Krejci in the off-season to make room for Studnicka. This is all crazy, the kid has been very good this year, but I think some here think he's going to be some savior right out of the gate.

I have to think if Boston was going to give him a look at RW, it would have happened already. If Studnicka to RW was an option, why wouldn't they have gotten a look at him there before the TDL? This all goes back to a comment earlier in the year (camp maybe) where Sweeney or Bruce said that Studnicka would only make the team as a Center.

As for trading Krejci, seriously? Coyle is a nice player, but he's not a legit #2C in the NHL. Moving Krejci to make Coyle your #2 and Studnicka your #3 just weakens the team down the middle. While Coyle is a better C than RW, if push came to shove I'd put Coyle on Krejci RW and let Studnicka take 3C. Just looking quickly at CF%, SF% and SCF%, Krejci is toward the top of linemates for Coyle.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Bjork - Krejci - Coyle
DeBrusk - Studnicka - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

^Before people get pissed about Bjork/DeBrusk, the Coyle's numbers away from DeBrusk appear to be better. Not by much, but he's still been better away from DeBrusk.
with you there, absolutely 0 reasons to call him up right now

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

Debrusk- Coyle- Kase

Said this exact thing in the line combos thread like 20 minutes after you.... couldn't agree more.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Debrusk- Coyle- Kase

Yeah I'm not sure Cassidy would be comfortable tossing out a rookie along with 63/37 against the top lines of playoff opponents. That's not a place to break in a player the way that line is used by the coaching staff.

Reactions: Dr Hook

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah I'm not sure Cassidy would be comfortable tossing out a rookie along with 63/37 against the top lines of playoff opponents. That's not a place to break in a player the way that line is used by the coaching staff.

You’re absolutely right in that he probably wouldn’t be comfortable doing that, but as long as studnicka remains defensively responsible I think he can produce with those two. Then the two other reasons I like the idea:

1) we staple Studnicka to Bergeron so he learns from the best

2) he extends the lineup. It’s not even so much that I expect him to be a world beater when he’s up here, but he allows us to give Krejci a bonafide goal scorer and then our 3rd line is probably the best in hockey

Reactions: BruinDust

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

If we've learned anything about Butch since he's been here, this is probably the last thing he would do- he seems to be all about trying to find the best spots for these young players to succeed and grow. We don't always like his decisions, but he's done alright so far in terms of results.

Reactions: BruinDust

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

I disagree. Now is the perfect time to try it out. There is less pressure on the kid to perform, and mistakes mean less since the team isn't really playing for anything.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
So what happens with Studnicka next season if he's not called up this year? Given Sweeney/Cassidy's reluctance to play him other than at C, and the likelihood that Krejci plays out his contract here, does that make him the #4 center? Probably a good idea to give him NHL exposure looking forward to 2021-2022.

He needs to gain strength and stamina in the off season. And he may be too good for Providence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad