Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I disagree. Now is the perfect time to try it out. There is less pressure on the kid to perform, and mistakes mean less since the team isn't really playing for anything.

I'd hate that mindset.

You can't just turn it on in the playoffs if you've played like playing for nothing the last 3-4 weeks, and get Tampa'ed.

This team will go as far as Marchand- Bergeron- Pasta can go in the playoffs, don't mess with it now.

I'm as excited about this kid as everyone else, but I think everyone needs to pump the breaks a bit. I see some calling him up and putting him in a top 6 RW role. I see others saying we need to trade Krejci in the off-season to make room for Studnicka. This is all crazy, the kid has been very good this year, but I think some here think he's going to be some savior right out of the gate.

I have to think if Boston was going to give him a look at RW, it would have happened already. If Studnicka to RW was an option, why wouldn't they have gotten a look at him there before the TDL? This all goes back to a comment earlier in the year (camp maybe) where Sweeney or Bruce said that Studnicka would only make the team as a Center.

As for trading Krejci, seriously? Coyle is a nice player, but he's not a legit #2C in the NHL. Moving Krejci to make Coyle your #2 and Studnicka your #3 just weakens the team down the middle. While Coyle is a better C than RW, if push came to shove I'd put Coyle on Krejci RW and let Studnicka take 3C. Just looking quickly at CF%, SF% and SCF%, Krejci is toward the top of linemates for Coyle.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Bjork - Krejci - Coyle
DeBrusk - Studnicka - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

^Before people get pissed about Bjork/DeBrusk, Coyle's numbers away from DeBrusk appear to be better. Not by much, but he's still been better away from DeBrusk.

Is it really that crazy to have him a #3C behind prime Bergeron and Coyle?

Reactions: wintersej

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Not at all. This would be a great role to start him in and see what he's got at the NHL level. That said, Krejci is signed for one more year, so there is really nothing wrong with Stud playing the majority of next season in Providence and developing his game even further. The Bruins can bring him up and down as needed for injuries, and get him ready to take over a full-time center job the following season.

Reactions: bbfan419

member 96824

I'm as excited about this kid as everyone else, but I think everyone needs to pump the breaks a bit. I see some calling him up and putting him in a top 6 RW role. I see others saying we need to trade Krejci in the off-season to make room for Studnicka. This is all crazy, the kid has been very good this year, but I think some here think he's going to be some savior right out of the gate.

I have to think if Boston was going to give him a look at RW, it would have happened already. If Studnicka to RW was an option, why wouldn't they have gotten a look at him there before the TDL? This all goes back to a comment earlier in the year (camp maybe) where Sweeney or Bruce said that Studnicka would only make the team as a Center.

As for trading Krejci, seriously? Coyle is a nice player, but he's not a legit #2C in the NHL. Moving Krejci to make Coyle your #2 and Studnicka your #3 just weakens the team down the middle. While Coyle is a better C than RW, if push came to shove I'd put Coyle on Krejci RW and let Studnicka take 3C. Just looking quickly at CF%, SF% and SCF%, Krejci is toward the top of linemates for Coyle.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Bjork - Krejci - Coyle
DeBrusk - Studnicka - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

^Before people get pissed about Bjork/DeBrusk, Coyle's numbers away from DeBrusk appear to be better. Not by much, but he's still been better away from DeBrusk.

I’ve been on the trade Krejci and insert Jack train for next year, though not adding a stud RW(Palmieri) makes the Krejci <-> Studnicka transition a bit more difficult, but it still could be done at the draft or in the offseason.

To me, it’s more of an asset management thing than anything else..it’s a risk...but if it works out you’re talking about extending the cup window by adding assets for a 34 year old under contract for one more year(I think the return for Krejci would be pretty substantial) and easing the transition between the Bergeron-Marchand-Chara-Rask core and the Pastrnak-McAvoy core and add a ton of flexibility to the roster. The return needs to be right though, this isn’t a call to trade him for anything you can get.

It takes Bill Belichick balls and execution to pull off though, no doubt about that.

The luxury of the B’s spot right now is they can test drive it and get Krejci some needed rest. I think Studnicka would show us he is up to the task.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'd hate that mindset.

You can't just turn it on in the playoffs if you've played like playing for nothing the last 3-4 weeks, and get Tampa'ed.

This team will go as far as Marchand- Bergeron- Pasta can go in the playoffs, don't mess with it now.

Considering I don't think Coyle is a legit #2C, then yes it would be bad. What happens if Coyle goes down? Suddenly were looking at Studnicka to be a #2C as a rookie. At least if Krejci is still around and someone goes down, you're covered.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Considering I don't think Coyle is a legit #2C, then yes it would be bad. What happens if Coyle goes down? Suddenly were looking at Studnicka to be a #2C as a rookie. At least if Krejci is still around and someone goes down, you're covered.

Why is Coyle not a legit 2C? If we are talking purely in terms of "production" he would be with 2C minutes- he's a 40-50 point talent in that role.

Reactions: TCB

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I’ve been on the trade Krejci and insert Jack train for next year, though not adding a stud RW(Palmieri) makes the Krejci <-> Studnicka transition a bit more difficult, but it still could be done at the draft or in the offseason.

To me, it’s more of an asset management thing than anything else..it’s a risk...but if it works out you’re talking about extending the cup window by adding assets for a 34 year old under contract for one more year(I think the return for Krejci would be pretty substantial) and easing the transition between the Bergeron-Marchand-Chara-Rask core and the Pastrnak-McAvoy core and add a ton of flexibility to the roster. The return needs to be right though, this isn’t a call to trade him for anything you can get.

It takes Bill Belichick balls and execution to pull off though, no doubt about that.

The luxury of the B’s spot right now is they can test drive it and get Krejci some needed rest. I think Studnicka would show us he is up to the task.

Are you really extending the cup window though? Is this team better with or without Krejci? IMO they are better with Krejci. The guy is a an elite #2C that can put up 60pts a season playing with a streaky DeBrusk and whoever else they throw on the opposite wing. We've talked for years now about the revolving door at RW, yet Krejci posted 73pts last year and for the most part has been a 55+ pt center. Even this year, the guys on pace for over 50pts and he's hasn't had steady line-mates all season.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
I'd hate that mindset.

Not at all. It actually worked out quite well for the Bruins at center, assuming Studnicka is as advertised. Coyle has really improved and solves the 2C problem. Krejci can be dealt in the offseason now that his NMC has opened up, which should return a position player, and also opens up money for free agency next year (Taylor Hall, Mike Hoffman, backup goalie etc....). I'd also rather avoid drama around the trade deadline next year with respect to Krejci, and I think the Bruins can easily withstand any growing pains with Studnicka next year. Also wouldn't mind seeing Studnicka in the lineup this year just to kind of see what they've got. It's win-win, and resting some guys down the stretch will not lead them to be "Tampa'd" IMO.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, Coyle is very much a 2C at this point IMO. And what happens to any team if their #1 or#2 C's go down? Keeping Krejci around as an injury contingency is not good asset management.

Reactions: TCB

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Why is Coyle not a legit 2C? If we are talking purely in terms of "production" he would be with 2C minutes- he's a 40-50 point talent in that role.

If you want to go purely production, than a per 60 would give an accurate picture, no?

Coyle per 60 ranks
G/60 = 88th
A/60 = 93rd
P/60 = 97th

Krejci per 60 ranks
G/60 = 123rd
A/60 = 16th
P/60 = 47th

Data is since the start of last season and only includes centers (min 1500 TOI)

Coyle has Krejci in G/60, but Krejci has never been known for goal scoring, he's a setup man. Outside of that though, Krejci has been one of the top setup guys in the NHL. The one thing this data does not take into consideration is difficulty of opponent. Coyle at #2C would start drawing tougher assignments from teams.

member 96824

Are you really extending the cup window though? Is this team better with or without Krejci? IMO they are better with Krejci. The guy is a an elite #2C that can put up 60pts a season playing with a streaky DeBrusk and whoever else they throw on the opposite wing. We've talked for years now about the revolving door at RW, yet Krejci posted 73pts last year and for the most part has been a 55+ pt center. Even this year, the guys on pace for over 50pts and he's hasn't had steady line-mates all season.

If it works according to plan, it could very well extend the window. I’m a Krejci fan, so I’m not knocking his value..but I’m operating under the assumption that this current contract is David’s last with the B’s.

So say you’re able to move him and add someone like Palmieri via trade or even get really wild and (hypothetically) add Taylor Hall as a UFA.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Studnicka-Hall/Palmieri
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase
4th

You can make a case that team has just as good of a shot while also getting younger.

It’s a lot of moving parts, but the key is what you do with the flexibility and what you get back for Krejci...it’s not a knock on Krejci’s play or a “dump Krejci for anything you can get” scenario.

Reactions: bbfan419

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If it works according to plan, it could very well extend the window. I’m a Krejci fan, so I’m not knocking his value..but I’m operating under the assumption that this current contract is David’s last with the B’s.

So say you’re able to move him and add someone like Palmieri via trade or even get really wild and (hypothetically) add Taylor Hall as a UFA.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Studnicka-Hall/Palmieri
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase
4th

You can make a case that team has just as good of a shot while also getting younger.

It’s a lot of moving parts, but the key is what you do with the flexibility and what you get back for Krejci...it’s not a knock on Krejci’s play or a “dump Krejci for anything you can get” scenario.

What realistically do you think you're going to get for Krejci though? I think he's got a 15 team NTC for next year and of the 15 not on it, I'm sure 50% wouldn't trade for him because they'd either be bottom feeders building for the future or teams without the required cap space to bring him in for a cup run. I just don't know what kind of package you'd get back and if that package is worth more to the Bruins than Krejci (and potentially winning a cup).

Reactions: BruinDust

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Not at all. It actually worked out quite well for the Bruins at center, assuming Studnicka is as advertised. Coyle has really improved and solves the 2C problem. Krejci can be dealt in the offseason now that his NMC has opened up, which should return a position player, and also opens up money for free agency next year (Taylor Hall, Mike Hoffman, backup goalie etc....). I'd also rather avoid drama around the trade deadline next year with respect to Krejci, and I think the Bruins can easily withstand any growing pains with Studnicka next year. Also wouldn't mind seeing Studnicka in the lineup this year just to kind of see what they've got. It's win-win, and resting some guys down the stretch will not lead them to be "Tampa'd" IMO.
This line of thinking baffles me. “Krejci can be dealt in the off-season” .... yet in the same breath “wouldn’t mind Studnicka in the lineup to kinda see what they’ve got”... So hard yes on moving Krejci yet “kinda see what Studnicka brings”???

I’m not the biggest Krejci fan but you don’t move him unless you know you have a solid 1-2-3 center trio. And I’m not sure Coyle is best suited as a 2C

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you want to go purely production, than a per 60 would give an accurate picture, no?

Coyle per 60 ranks
G/60 = 88th
A/60 = 93rd
P/60 = 97th

Krejci per 60 ranks
G/60 = 123rd
A/60 = 16th
P/60 = 47th

Data is since the start of last season and only includes centers (min 1500 TOI)

Coyle has Krejci in G/60, but Krejci has never been known for goal scoring, he's a setup man. Outside of that though, Krejci has been one of the top setup guys in the NHL. The one thing this data does not take into consideration is difficulty of opponent. Coyle at #2C would start drawing tougher assignments from teams.

True, but Krejci is an elite 2c- over the past several years he would be #1C on a number of teams. I think that has spoiled our expectations of what we want in a 2C. I don't want to go purely production here, though, even though I mentioned it at the start. Points aside, the guy has the game to drive a second line with good wingers. His consistency in Boston is better than what he showed in Minny and he is entering his prime.

Reactions: Krupp, BMC and TCB

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

That s a bold strategy Cotton.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Move Pastrnak with Krejci and have studnicka play with Bergeron

marchand-Bergeron-studnicka

Ritchie-Krejci-Pastrnak (Ritchie protects Pasta and does the lines dirty work)

Debrusk- Coyle- Kase

whatever combo of 4th liners you want, hopefully with Frederic added to the fold in the last couple weeks

No interest in playing Studnicka against top pairing defensemen, which would happen a lot of the time with Bergy and Marchand on the ice.

If he comes up at all this year, play him on Coyle's wing with some sheltered offensive zone starts and maybe some PK time when we're up in the game.

This is the best center prospect we've had in a while, and Krejci's likely replacement eventually. Don't want to rush him when theres no need to.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
This line of thinking baffles me. “Krejci can be dealt in the off-season” .... yet in the same breath “wouldn’t mind Studnicka in the lineup to kinda see what they’ve got”... So hard yes on moving Krejci yet “kinda see what Studnicka brings”???

I’m not the biggest Krejci fan but you don’t move him unless you know you have a solid 1-2-3 center trio. And I’m not sure Coyle is best suited as a 2C

Exactly.

IMO Coyles value (and I strongly believe Sweeney agrees with this) is that he is a mismatch for most other 3Cs and bottom pairing D men. Moving him up to 2C would negate a lot of that value.

There is no need to trade Krejci when Studnicka has proven zilch at the NHL level, especially since we were able to unload Backes' contract.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
He should be a center, ultimately, but individual tools polished enough that he could play any forward position and contribute meaningfully. Just quick in every aspect, physically and mentally. Perfect new-age middle 6'er.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

I prefer the circle of life model; I think Studnicka could be good enough now, so give him a run out at the end of the year. If he is good, give him some time in the playoffs.

If Studnicka can be equal to or greater than Krejci in the playoffs, that gives you the option to move Krejci at the end of the year. When you are going for a cup, I think trading proven players for what-if's is the wrong move. I know Krejci could walk at the end of next season, but you also have the option to move Krejci during next season in a hockey trade.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What realistically do you think you're going to get for Krejci though? I think he's got a 15 team NTC for next year and of the 15 not on it, I'm sure 50% wouldn't trade for him because they'd either be bottom feeders building for the future or teams without the required cap space to bring him in for a cup run. I just don't know what kind of package you'd get back and if that package is worth more to the Bruins than Krejci (and potentially winning a cup).

All depends what you are planning to use his 7.25 cap hit on.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
True, but Krejci is an elite 2c- over the past several years he would be #1C on a number of teams. I think that has spoiled our expectations of what we want in a 2C. I don't want to go purely production here, though, even though I mentioned it at the start. Points aside, the guy has the game to drive a second line with good wingers. His consistency in Boston is better than what he showed in Minny and he is entering his prime.

I think if you look at past cup contenders, they are well built in their top 2 C's.

STL - O'Reilly/Schenn
WSH - Backstrom/Kuznetsov
PIT - Crosby/Malkin

At the end of the day I feel more confident w/ a duo of Bergeron/Krejci being able to bring us a cup than Bergeron/Coyle. And ultimately our goal is to get another cup with this core.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
All depends what you are planning to use his 7.25 cap hit on.

If you're trading Krejci, its not for futures. You want pieces that can help you win now, so some of, if not most of that $7.25 will get eaten up by whatever is coming back for Krejci.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
If you're trading Krejci, its not for futures. You want pieces that can help you win now, so some of, if not most of that $7.25 will get eaten up by whatever is coming back for Krejci.
Like I said before, kick some tires on what we can get for DK at the draft this summer.
Remember what the Sens got for Pageau and DK has more value than he does.
If someone offered me a middle first rounder and a teams 3-4th best prospect and a bottom 6 roster forward, I make the trade.
No brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad