Player Discussion Jack Studnicka

Ivyy13

Trust and Tradition
Feb 4, 2007
Boston
If you want to put a positive on him….. I liked that he was the first one after Zadina after he fired back at Carlo… Hope he didn’t hit his head falling down though.

Offensive depth on this team is concerning.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
58800272.jpg

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I didn’t like Cassidy’s decision to put together a kid line on the road. Of course DET would put their 1st line out against them every chance they got.

He should have let one of the kids jump into Pasta’s spot and kept Nosek and Blidh on the 4th line with the other kid. They can both play RW.

Liked Studnicka’s speed and he made some good plays. I liked that spinning pass from behind the net out front. He’s a handful on the forecheck.

Hopefully he continues to build up his strength this summer without losing that speed.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I didn’t like Cassidy’s decision to put together a kid line on the road. Of course DET would put their 1st line out against them every chance they got.

He should have let one of the kids jump into Pasta’s spot and kept Nosek and Blidh on the 4th line with the other kid. They can both play RW.

Liked Studnicka’s speed and he made some good plays. I liked that spinning pass from behind the net out front. He’s a handful on the forecheck.

Hopefully he continues to build up his strength this summer without losing that speed.
Yeah - poor game plan. I didn't see much positive in his game last night though, looked real weak on the puck and behind the play (aside from one partial breakaway he was open for because he was late to get back).

He needs to be propped up for a bit by some stable line mates if he's going to find a groove. Blidh and McLaughlin aren't that. Also not sure this is the time of year to develop a kid as much as it is to see what guys can bring (maybe that was the thinking with that line last night).

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayMakers

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Studnicka seems to have very little confidence in his gam right now. In fairness I'm sure its not easy to be at your best when you've only seen 4 games of action over the last 6 weeks. Still a disappointing season for Studnicka this year given how good he looked in training camp.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Didn't Studnicka bulk up last summer? Now apparently he's gotten smaller according to that weight sheet that was released.

Doesn't that typically happen over the course of a season, though? I thought it was pretty common for a player to end up 10 lbs lighter by the end.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If you want to put a positive on him….. I liked that he was the first one after Zadina after he fired back at Carlo… Hope he didn’t hit his head falling down though.

Offensive depth on this team is concerning.
Out the door 1st rd is smart bet but I still will cheer them on no matter .

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I guess it could be, but I believe most of the list got heavier.

I don't know- maybe in his case it was too much extra bulk and it hindered his skating and agility. That can happen with some guys. He's young and maybe is looking for that sweet spot between strength and mass and speed and agility.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I’ve all but given up on this kid. I was the first to make excuses for him, and I still think they are valid ie not being played consistently in a position to succeed. With that said I don’t even see flashes of the talent he has or had in the NHL. He’ll play his 10 mins do nothing besides give the other guys some rest.

Reactions: Patdud

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I’ve all but given up on this kid. I was the first to make excuses for him, and I still think they are valid ie not being played consistently in a position to succeed. With that said I don’t even see flashes of the talent he has or had in the NHL. He’ll play his 10 mins do nothing besides give the other guys some rest.

It would be sad if that was the case, but every team has these guys who, whatever their junior/college chops, draft position, or AHL performance indicates, just can't make the jump to NHL success. There isn't really a surefire way to know whether this will happen, either, outside of a small handful of elite talents.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
What are you seeing with Jack?

It's partly what he's doing and partly where he's at in his career. Most prospects go through a stage when they first enter the league where they struggle to figure things out. While they're in that window they look completely unremarkable. Studnicka only has 36 NHL games under his belt, he's in that window.

We seem to do this all the time with prospects. After Marchand's first 21 games folks were throwing him in deals for free. Most people here thought Frederic was worthless at the start of this season, but there were moments where he'd make a good pass or protect the puck well. He didn't do it consistently and It didn't amount to a goal so it got missed or ignored, and folks said he was doing nothing.

Studnicka has those moments too. The flashes of speed, his willingness to get his nose dirty, he can carry the puck. I've seen him recognize openings and jump into them, I've seen him attempt quick plays. It's not consistent and it's not amounting to anything but there is something there. He's been too productive at a young age for me to think he's not going to eventually figure things out. He's just in that space where he's finding his way in the league. Like Frederic, it's probably not going to happen until he gets consistent minutes with consistent line mates.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
He got way over hyped when he was the only prospect with any potential in a complete bare cupboard. He’s what he was always going to be.

Thomas 11

Apr 15, 2018
Alberta Beach, Alberta
It's partly what he's doing and partly where he's at in his career. Most prospects go through a stage when they first enter the league where they struggle to figure things out. While they're in that window they look completely unremarkable. Studnicka only has 36 NHL games under his belt, he's in that window.

We seem to do this all the time with prospects. After Marchand's first 21 games folks were throwing him in deals for free. Most people here thought Frederic was worthless at the start of this season, but there were moments where he'd make a good pass or protect the puck well. He didn't do it consistently and It didn't amount to a goal so it got missed or ignored, and folks said he was doing nothing.

Studnicka has those moments too. The flashes of speed, his willingness to get his nose dirty, he can carry the puck. I've seen him recognize openings and jump into them, I've seen him attempt quick plays. It's not consistent and it's not amounting to anything but there is something there. He's been too productive at a young age for me to think he's not going to eventually figure things out. He's just in that space where he's finding his way in the league. Like Frederic, it's probably not going to happen until he gets consistent minutes with consistent line mates.
Very well said, agree 100%. Each game he plays I see a couple nice plays. With maturity and familiarity, we will see more and more of them. Patience is a virtue.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

I wish I could see 10 games with him centering Blidh and McLovin on the 4th line, but if I am being honest I am not really seeing those moments with him like I saw with Steen. To be fair I also didn’t see it with Frederic until he broke through.

I like these guys and pull for them but so far I’ve been underwhelmed with the NHL games so far. I did think he was going to be given away for some 4th liner/13th forward at the deadline and I am glad that didn’t happen.

Reactions: PlayMakers

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Studnicka seems to have very little confidence in his gam right now. In fairness I'm sure its not easy to be at your best when you've only seen 4 games of action over the last 6 weeks. Still a disappointing season for Studnicka this year given how good he looked in training camp.
The organization really dropped the ball not giving him 10-15 games at the start of the year after the pre season he had.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Right now he is projecting like a Danton Heinen type. Quiet, soft, skilled, great attitude and personal characteristics. We need him to show more to be that top 6 impact player. Has some speed and size on Heinen, which is nice, but needs to use it. More importantly, he needs to battle and be hard on the puck.

[BTW, I like Heinen, and think he can be a useful player on a good team. We just need more than that.]

Reactions: HustleB

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The organization really dropped the ball not giving him 10-15 games at the start of the year after the pre season he had.
This is what they seem to do quite often.
Give a guy 2 or 3 games every few months, if in the game they make a mistake they bench him.
For emergency call ups sure. If you really want to see what you have. Tell the player he has 10 to 15 games, and play them. They make a mistake , talk to them coach them, put them back out.

I'm not saying Studnicka would be a different player had they done this, just saying.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad