Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I can't see Caufield slipping past 10th overall. Buffalo, Edmonton, Anaheim, or Vancouver would be sure to snatch him up I'd think.

If Shero wants Caufield he'd have to make a deal with one of those teams. What would we have to add to the 34th overall? Boqvist + McLeod?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I can't see Caufield slipping past 10th overall. Buffalo, Edmonton, Anaheim, or Vancouver would be sure to snatch him up I'd think.

If Shero wants Caufield he'd have to make a deal with one of those teams. What would we have to add to the 34th overall? Boqvist + McLeod?

i really don’t think we need to spend valuable assets to get caufield- jacob josefson would get 30 goals on hughes’ wing. that said, if it only costs mcleod, a 2nd and a 4th to move up and snag him, i’d do it. when you start mentioning boqvist, i’m out

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
i really don’t think we need to spend valuable assets to get caufield- jacob josefson would get 30 goals on hughes’ wing. that said, if it only costs mcleod, a 2nd and a 4th to move up and snag him, i’d do it. when you start mentioning boqvist, i’m out
especially seeing how other prospects named Jesper or Boqvist are panning out throughout the league, we gotta keep ours because hes a combination of both!! double the potential

Reactions: Bet the Over

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

No Sir. Caufield is the hot topic because people are starting to realize that he has scored at just about 1 goal per game played pace over the past 4 years but I wouldn’t be trading anywhere near that much real estate to get him. If he drops into the 20s then we can start talking.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Nico was not by any means the biggest player coming into his first season, 2 inches taller but more or less the same weight as Hughes and it was a point of contention before he played his first game as to how he would handle the league having a smaller sized build at the time and he handled it better than expected.

Zacha has a bigger build, but until the back half of this season, never consistently played as if he had that size. Nico and Bratt, who still both have far smaller builds to this day, have played bigger than Zacha ever has, even when Zacha was playing up to his potential and size in that time period this season. Heck, Brian Boyle, one of the biggest players in the league, who is an effective player in his role doesn't play as if he is his size and a number of smaller players throughout the league play as if they are his size.

It has to do with a players skating strength, skating ability, their vision and to another extent their confidence, not necessarily their size. Size helps, but is never the overriding factor. If Hughes is strong enough and confident enough at this point and is able to put himself in the correct positions in situations on the ice where he will not get outworked, he should be fine with his build currently and that bodes even better for him because of the amount of size he is capable of adding at his age.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

I think Caufield would be a tremendous get for the Devils. I would give up McLeod + Boqvist + 34th overall to get him. Hughes to Caufield for 15 years sounds great to me.

Reactions: hobgoblin933

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think Caufield would be a tremendous get for the Devils. I would give up McLeod + Boqvist + 34th overall to get him. Hughes to Caufield for 15 years sounds great to me.

I'm not giving up Boqvist to get Caufield though. I'd do the 34th, McLeod, and one of the thirds if that was enough but alas I don't think it would be. I think people are underestimating Boqvists potential.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You think so? What would you think is a good offer to Edmonton for the 8th pick?

i think the value is fair, but we can’t afford to give up those assets. especially when we can sign people to do that (cougheberlecough) that will cost us nothing but cap space, which we have an abundance of

edit- also i don’t think he goes in the top 10, but i don’t know that for sure

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not giving up Boqvist to get Caufield though. I'd do the 34th, McLeod, and one of the thirds if that was enough but alas I don't think it would be. I think people are underestimating Boqvists potential.

I agree that Boqvist-plus for Caufield is too much. If a team with multiple first-rounders like Anaheim were willing to deal #9 OA for #34, #55 and McLeod it would be worth consideration to get Caufield or Boldy, but I could not see the Ducks thinking that was enough to get it done. As far as Edmonton goes, unfortunately for the Devils they are no longer being run by Peter Chiarelli.

I would trade Boqvist, but as he would be the Devils top trade chip, I'd like to see him saved for the opportunity to get an impact D (Trouba? Subban?), especially in a draft where there could be a top scoring RW like Brink available at #34.

Reactions: Billdo

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Taking Lucic’s contract might help a lot.

What's truly impressive about Peter Chiarelli's illustrious GM career is that the Milan Lucic contract ($6.7 million per year until the polar ice caps have completely melted) is not even one of his 10 worst moves as an NHL executive.

If the Devils took Lucic's contract on, they could probably get a choice of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto+later draft pick (sending very little in return), but I sincerely doubt whomever takes over the Oilers as GM would be willing to move the #8 pick.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
What's truly impressive about Peter Chiarelli's illustrious GM career is that the Milan Lucic contract ($6.7 million per year until the polar ice caps have completely melted) is not even one of his 10 worst moves as an NHL executive.

If the Devils took Lucic's contract on, they could probably get a choice of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto+later draft pick (sending very little in return), but I sincerely doubt whomever takes over the Oilers as GM would be willing to move the #8 pick.

The reports were that if you wanted Puljujarvi, you had to take Lucic’s contract, and that was before he got injured. We see how that turned out.

If Edmonton wants to add anyone decent to play with McDavid now, 8th overall is really all they have to offer. Much of it has to do with the limited number of teams that are on the table as trade destinations. You need to have a lot of cap space and be a place he’d be willing to waive his NMC to go to.

My best offer would be our second and McLeod for 8th overall and Lucic, and even that would be contingent on whether his NMC travels with him for purposes of the expansion draft.

ADDENDUM: the other thing that kind of gives me an inkling that Ray might try to trade up to 8 overall are the pre lottery rumblings that the Devils were high on Podkolzin. If he falls past Buffalo, maybe the Devils make a move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille