Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The reports were that if you wanted Puljujarvi, you had to take Lucic’s contract, and that was before he got injured. We see how that turned out.

If Edmonton wants to add anyone decent to play with McDavid now, 8th overall is really all they have to offer. Much of it has to do with the limited number of teams that are on the table as trade destinations. You need to have a lot of cap space and be a place he’d be willing to waive his NMC to go to.

My best offer would be our second and McLeod for 8th overall and Lucic, and even that would be contingent on whether his NMC travels with him for purposes of the expansion draft.

ADDENDUM: the other thing that kind of gives me an inkling that Ray might try to trade up to 8 overall are the pre lottery rumblings that the Devils were high on Podkolzin. If he falls past Buffalo, maybe the Devils make a move.

Podkolzin might be dropping with the world tourney. He has not even been Russia's best forward (I would argue Spiridonov) while other forwards continually impress. He did not even look like he was in the same tier as Alex Turcotte in the USA v Russia game. Podkolzin's offensive production was somewhat underwhelming during the season, and this tournament was a big opportunity to show he could score like crazy on a world stage. While players like Turcotte, Caufield, Krebs, Spiridonov and even Jamieson Rees have really run with this opportunity, Podkolzin has been decent but far from dominant.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Hypothetical Pop quiz. We swing a trade for 8th overall with Edmonton, with the reasoning that we want to draft Cole Caufield to pair with Hughes.

However come draft day, a run of forwards are taken 1-7 and both Bryam and Caufield are available at pick 8.

Who do you take?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Hypothetical Pop quiz. We swing a trade for 8th overall with Edmonton, with the reasoning that we want to draft Cole Caufield to pair with Hughes.

However come draft day, a run of forwards are taken 1-7 and both Bryam and Caufield are available at pick 8.

Who do you take?

Byram absolutely.

Byram should go 3rd overall to Chicago, and if they don't select him, I guarantee they will regret it. I think Byram could even contend for the #2 selection, though it will obviously be Kakko.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think people are having shiny toy syndrome. If we traded up for 8 for whatever reason there is a decent chance someone better will be available.

I can see chasing Cole if he falls hard, but he isn’t worth trading into the top 10 for.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Who do you take?

The statement you just made literally exemplifies the saying... have your cake and eat it too (us winning the lottery for Hughes and still somehow getting the top ranked D in Bryam) :laugh:. Stop getting our hopes up . :D

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Oh and holy crap I didn’t realize Lucic almost played the whole season on a team with McDavid and Draisatli and only posted 6 and 14 in 79 games :eek:. 10 and 24 in 82 the year prior.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
ADDENDUM: the other thing that kind of gives me an inkling that Ray might try to trade up to 8 overall are the pre lottery rumblings that the Devils were high on Podkolzin. If he falls past Buffalo, maybe the Devils make a move.

Haven't been impressed with Podkolzin one bit.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Who do you take?

It's a fair hypothetical, but what do you think the odds would be of Byram getting past Detroit at #6? Even then, Buffalo is also thin at LD and they pick at #7. I just cannot see it.

But that being said, the Devils organization needs Byram more than Hughes needs Caufield.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Byram absolutely.

Byram should go 3rd overall to Chicago, and if they don't select him, I guarantee they will regret it. I think Byram could even contend for the #2 selection, though it will obviously be Kakko.

I am hearing a lot out of Chicago that they really like Turcotte. Byram could drop to Colorado at #4 or LA at #5. There's absolutely no conceivable way he gets past Detroit at #6, however.

Reactions: My3Sons

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Time to go full NHL 19 fantasy, Trade Palms for the eighth overall pick, trade the eighth overall pick+other picks and/or prospects(Walsh) and then draft Byram 4th overall. Leave the first round with Hughes and Byram.

This is all completely plausible :sarcasm:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don’t believe there was any rumblings of the Devils interest in Pods outside of DS saying so.

I said it months ago but even if Podz was the faller in this draft, I would have no interest in taking him. This draft is too deep to take a player who has shown no interest coming to NA.

Reactions: devilsblood

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Hughes should have a big day today vs Latvia, should be fun to watch.

latvia?

oyams9lhk5zy.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad