Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The bigger question is who's more likely to be a special player: the guy who dominates by playing like everyone else, just slightly better, or the guy who doesn't even look like he's trying and does things no one else can do?

This isn't like Rob Schremp dangling through everybody and everyone going, "Wow!" Hughes' processing speed and skating are ridiculous at any level.

This is just more McDavid/Eichel or Matthews/Laine-type bullshit where it's not actually close.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
got to talkin to a ranger fan, and he just started railing on how unready hughes is gonna be, and how kakko plays real men. said how hughes is gonna get destroyed at the NHL level

I would have said, "Please, keep comparing the physicality of the European leagues and their gigantic f***ing rink to that of North America even at the junior level." What a joke.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Actually, to piggy back off of my original post-how often is there a question of whether or not a North American skater is going to be able to handle the physicality of the NHL? If there is it's because of a players size and whether or not they'll be able to fill out as they age. No wonder this guy is a Rangers fan. The question is always "will __ player be able to transition to the North American game," just like we heard with all the Nico critics leading up to that draft and so far he's transitioned well.

Reactions: OmNomNom and Oneiro

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
got to talkin to a ranger fan, and he just started railing on how unready hughes is gonna be, and how kakko plays real men. said how hughes is gonna get destroyed at the NHL level

just flipped it back saying how if kakko is really good then i guess we'll take him.

i already see how this rivalry is gonna go, esp regarding projections between him and kakko, and it's ANNOYING. they can both be good.

Well, there's your first mistake! Seriously though, I haven't heard much bad from Rangers fans. The Finnish fans seem to think taking down Hughes is a national pride thing. Or maybe its just one or two really, really loud mouths.

Either way, I am sure Shero and Company won't take Hughes just because. They'll do their due diligence and make the best decision. Which at this point seems 100 % Hughes.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I totally agree but I believe Kakko has played center this year

He has played wing largely. I'm not sure at what point he played center, but he played wing on his Liiga team with Filppula's brother at center and he played wing in the WJC. He projects as a wing, preferably on his off side.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The response to Rag fans should be "Podkolzin would be the #2 pick if it wasn't for the Russian factor".

Also played against MEN! and in a better league.

Reactions: Khione and mdj12784

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The response to Rag fans should be "Podkolzin would be the #2 pick if it wasn't for the Russian factor".

Also played against MEN! and in a better league.

Probably wouldn't be the most timely argument with Podkolzin currently posting 0-1-1 in 3 games played in the u18s.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i think 5'11 is generous and he needs to put on weight but that's not a reason to pass on this kid who clearly has an elite skill set

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Jack doesn’t look significantly undersized at all. He’s 17, he’ll put on 15 pounds without trying over the next few years. And he doesn’t even look short, not that height even matters much. He could very well be near 6 feet tall in a year.

He’s gonna get pushed around next year, that’s just how it goes. But it’s not like we’re talking about a kid that’s 5’6” 150 lol. He’s slightly undersized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia