Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
2019 U18 MWC Roster

Hughes listed as 5’11” 180 pounds on the latest roster. That has to be overstated, right? Because that would not be overly small.

The NHL also lists Mitch Marner at 6'0 175 which is definitely not true. take all those height and weights with a grain of salt. Hughes is probably around the same size as marner.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't disagree with the overall premise of your last two post at all....But at times Gomez was one dimensional and defenders knew he wasn't shooting and defended as such.

I don't think that was case early on in his career but as his career progressed, Gomez would take the zone with speed and either curl just inside the blue looking for a trailer or round the net look for a pass...Defenders just started playing the passing lane and Gomez was never able to really take full advantage of the shot opportunities he did have in my opinion.

Doesn't really detract from Gomez as a player he was very good for more than a decade but I do think if he had any semblance of a shot, he would have been a "Superstar" ;)

I just told you that Gomez is 160th all time in shots for a forward. Among forwards with 700 or more games played (since 1959-60, as that is when hockey-reference's shots on goal data goes back to) he's 214th in shots/game. He shot the puck a lot. He just wasn't very good at it and probably shot it too much. But people look at a shot, even one that's easily saved, as some sort of success and a pass that misses as a failure. People still quote Gretzky, the greatest passer of all time, talking about how 100% of the shots you don't take don't go in.

This relates to Hughes because he is going to be this sort of player. He looks to make the best play, and sometimes that is a pass out of a shooting position.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
"The conversation for the number one overall pick has included both Kakko and Hughes since the World Juniors," said Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr. "Kaapo Kakko had a strong performance on the world stage and has continued his impressive power forward play in the Finland Liiga, setting a new goal scoring record for draft eligible prospects. Jack Hughes set all kinds of scoring records with the U.S. NTDP Under-18 this season. He is an exceptional talent with wizardry scoring and playmaking ability which highlight his quick wit and speed."

I'd post this in the Kakko thread, but we aren't allowed to have one. When does this board post its scouting report since it obviously knows so much more than the Director of Central Scouting?

NHL releases final rankings for 2019 draft

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
"The conversation for the number one overall pick has included both Kakko and Hughes since the World Juniors," said Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr. "Kaapo Kakko had a strong performance on the world stage and has continued his impressive power forward play in the Finland Liiga, setting a new goal scoring record for draft eligible prospects. Jack Hughes set all kinds of scoring records with the U.S. NTDP Under-18 this season. He is an exceptional talent with wizardry scoring and playmaking ability which highlight his quick wit and speed."

I'd post this in the Kakko thread, but we aren't allowed to have one. When does this board post its scouting report since it obviously knows so much more than the Director of Central Scouting?

Who are the scouts that have Kakko ahead of Hughes? And I mean people that are putting their name to it, not quotes about unnamed teams that have him over Hughes. Is there a single sentence that has indicated Shero isn’t picking Hughes? Everything I’ve heard him say seems fairly clear.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If there ever was an ideal environment for a player with the profile of Jack Hughes, it's the current NHL.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I read somewhere that there’s a chance he plays in both. He’s eligible to play in both apparently.

I wonder how so. He doesn't turn 18 till May 14th, and the tournament starts a week before then. Eligibility rules state:

"Each player must be at least 18 years of age on the day the respective championship starts, or be at least 16 and obtain an under age waiver"

Doesn't say anything about turning 18 mid-tournament.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Unless Quinn and their dad are both shorter than 5'10" Jack isn't 5'10" he's slightly taller than both of them. 5'11" seems about right.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Winds Hockey

Apr 7, 2019
Is there any reason Hughes not going to the big boy WC?
The U18 Tournament is like the entire purpose of the USNTDP. Like Hughes said in his comments at the lottery, the U18 is the end of the road for the 2001s. They'll go on to colleges or CHL teams or (for Jack) the Devils after that. I'm sure he wants to see that through, and he seems excited for one more run with his boys.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos

So Hughes is the #1 ranked NA player and Kakko is the #1 ranked EU player. Seems to be more complementary of Hughes based on the quotes. In other news, I hear water happens to be wet.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The NHL Central Scouting Bureau is run by the NHL, which wants to build hype for the draft. Now some years the supposed consensus #1 doesn't go #1 - 2002 was such a year and I think 2013 was also. But they usually try to make it a horse race at this time of year when it often isn't.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
"The conversation for the number one overall pick has included both Kakko and Hughes since the World Juniors," said Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr. "

You're willfully ignoring that SHERO HIMSELF basically all but said his pick is Hughes, on multiple occasions - including the first minute and half below. Until that changes, I'm taking the man at face value here.

Or the last minute of this interview...his tone is clearly different than it was in 2017 when he was more coy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad