Jack Eichel or Austin Matthews 17/18

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't think anyone suggested that.

The point is, that everyone is raving about Eichel's stats after those 61 games, yet Matthews stats were very similar in that same sample size.

Who knows how Eichel's season would have ended.

Matthews had the more impressive year.

Why does it matter that Matthews had similar stats after 61 games? That's just a sampling of his games played. The point is he produced at a rate of 0.83 p/gp.

Again, it's highly unlikely that Eichel's point production would fall off so substantially based on his much greater sample of games played. He literally would have needed to maintain two thirds of his production rate and he still out scores Matthews.

You can say, "well, who knows?", but I mean...most reasonable people would be able to say that Eichel could outscore Matthews had he played the remaining 21.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Why does it matter that Matthews had similar stats after 61 games? That's just a sampling of his games played. The point is he produced at a rate of 0.83 p/gp.

Again, it's highly unlikely that Eichel's point production would fall off so substantially based on his much greater sample of games played. He literally would have needed to maintain two thirds of his production rate and he still out scores Matthews.

You can say, "well, who knows?", but I mean...most reasonable people would be able to say that Eichel could outscore Matthews had he played the remaining 21.

And to some people 0.83 over 82 games is more impressive than 0.93 over 61.

Who knows if Eichel would have outscored Matthews, no one can prove it.

Who had the more impressive year to you?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
And to some people 0.83 over 82 games is more impressive than 0.93 over 61.

Who knows if Eichel would have outscored Matthews, no one can prove it.

Who had the more impressive year to you?

Nobody can prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, you're right. It's impossible to prove. Just like it's impossible to prove Crosby would have won the Art Ross in the shortened season if he was healthy.

To answer your question:

- Eichel had the better year
- Matthews was a better rookie

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Nobody can prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, you're right. It's impossible to prove. Just like it's impossible to prove Crosby would have won the Art Ross in the shortened season if he was healthy.

To answer your question:

- Eichel had the better year
- Matthews was a better rookie

How can you have the better year and put up less points?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
PPG means nothing. It doesn't put wins in the win column nor goals and assists in the points column.

It means nothing for the 16-17 season, right, but assuming Eichel doesn't get injured via a high ankle sprain again, it's a useful tool for projecting his future production.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
How can you have the better year and put up less points?

I think Connor McDavid had a better season than Eichel in 15-16...

Everyone would agree with me, I assure you. McDavid put up less points, though.

I don't hold injuries against a player, unless they're proven to be injury prone.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Connor McDavid had a better season than Eichel in 15-16...

Everyone would agree with me, I assure you. McDavid put up less points, though.

I don't hold injuries against a player, unless they're proven to be injury prone.

McDavid did actually finish higher in Calder voting than Eichel did in 40 fewer games. There's no indication anywhere that people feel similarly with Eichel over Matthews, as Matthews finished higher in Hart voting

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
McDavid did actually finish higher in Calder voting than Eichel did in 40 fewer games. There's no indication anywhere that people feel similarly with Eichel over Matthews, as Matthews finished higher in Hart voting

I was just answering his question.

I'm not really too concerned about the semantics of "who had the better year" if the breaking point is that Eichel missed a quarter of the season.

I guess you can say, I believe he was the better player this year.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The only thing Eichel is better at is being the general manager of his team

Well I mean he also had 4 more assists in 21 less games but I suppose Matthews is somehow the better passer/playmaker? :laugh:

We know for sure that Matthews was better than Eichel last year. His stats prove it.

And yet I'm 100% sure you'd also think Matthews is a better player than Scheifele

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I was just answering his question.

I'm not really too concerned about the semantics of "who had the better year" if the breaking point is that Eichel missed a quarter of the season.

I guess you can say, I believe he was the better player this year.

I think a fair takeaway is that what Eichel showed in his 60 games could mean an explosion in offense if healthy next year (to the tune of ~80 points) and I won't fight you on that if it's what you're trying to say

But if you are looking at what they've actually accomplished, Matthews is ahead so far

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
We know for a fact that Matthews is the better offensive talent than Eichel, seeing as he has outproduced him at the equivalent age/level for something like 10 years in a row.

Eichel has a 1 year head start, so it is only a matter of when, not if, Matthews will surpass him. Some would say it already happened last year, with Matthews badly outplaying him at the WCoH. Matthews also had a better points-per-60. But Eichel did outpace Matthews in PPG production, which is the simplest metric to look at, not to mention having better linemates.

So I think Matthews wa already the better player last year, but this year he will get more ice time, and that will ultimately be the difference. He won't just be ahead in PP60 next year, he'll also be ahead in PPG.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Quick question, and I'm not here to argue, but if health is a factor can we please not ever hear about Marner having mono again?

Marner with Mono as a rookie still had more points than Eichel ever has in his 2 seasons.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Well I mean he also had 4 more assists in 21 less games but I suppose Matthews is somehow the better passer/playmaker? :laugh:

And yet I'm 100% sure you'd also think Matthews is a better player than Scheifele

The stats thing has you stumped, so let's ask a random question I guess. Scheifele was better last season, but he's also much older. In fact he did not exceed Matthews rookie total of 69 points until he was in his 5th season and 24 years old.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The stats thing has you stumped, so let's ask a random question I guess. Scheifele was better last season, but he's also much older. In fact he did not exceed Matthews rookie total of 69 points until he was in his 5th season and 24 years old.

Scheifele finished with more points. Actually being better is debatable.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
When he was 23 was when he first hit 60 points. Matthews is off to a far better start to his career.

I think you misunderstood me.

I don't think it's a slam dunk to say Scheifele was even better than Matthews last year.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
There is a lot of argument over what happened last year but the thread should be about who will be better THIS year.

Eichel IMO is on the verge of an offensive breakout. In a better system, fully healthy I think he will outscore Matthews. I believe he will turn out to be the better offensive player. He's such a lethal playmaker and power-play threat, I think he could reach Backstrom level production on the powerplay with the right teammates and system in place. You can point to the goal scoring all you want, but being able to drive the play and rack up assists counts just as much as the guy who is finishing off the play.

Matthews strikes me as a guy who will turn out to be a better overall player though. He was so impressive as a rookie battling along the boards and overall in the defensive side of the game. At that age especially, it is extremely impressive. Not saying Matthews will be any slouch offensively either, and at this point I would rather have Matthews as an overall player. But to me Eichel has 90+ point potential, Matthews has 80+ point potential with stronger two-way play.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Sniper Center whos a complete offensive stud. 50 goals is reachable with his talent. Amazing patience, and puck control. Just an offensive juggernaut.

Eichel in 2017/2018.

Having said that I wouldn't trade Matthews for him. I still believe he has alot more to show in terms of production, both on goal scoring and playmaking.
Leadership, poise, calmness, Two-Way Ability, Puck Possession. For a young team, Matthews is a big part of future growth and professionalism of young Leafs.
I believe leafs will and would win more games with Matthews than Eichel on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad