Jack Eichel or Austin Matthews 17/18

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Eichel has an extra gear of athleticism that Matthews doesn't. Matthews is a smarter more efficient player.

They will rotate being second best to mcdavid for the next decade.

Should be fun to watch us continue to beat the leafs, no matter the year or team.

The maple leafs have gotten us through a lot of tough times. And we appreciate it!!

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I said before last season that I expected Matthews to have a better season than Eichel, but Eichel to end up the better player and I stand by that.

I think Matthews goes for 30-35 goals and 30-35 assists for about 70 points.
I think Eichel goes for 35ish goals and 40ish assists for 75-80 points

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Eichel has an extra gear of athleticism that Matthews doesn't. Matthews is a smarter more efficient player.

They will rotate being second best to mcdavid for the next decade.

Should be fun to watch us continue to beat the leafs, no matter the year or team.

The maple leafs have gotten us through a lot of tough times. And we appreciate it!!

How's the weather in 2008?

Here in 2017, the Leafs are the better team.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1459480879298.jpg

Probably Eichel. Expecting him to take a step forward and Matthews to take a step back this season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Eichel is the better player.
Matthews will get about 67 points and Eichel about 75....IF Eichel stays healthy.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
I just don't understand how the answer is anything but Matthews. He has been better at every comparable level and age. His rookie season was better than either of Eichel's first two seasons. And don't bother coming at me with PPG as Matthews had a better PP60.

Matthews until proven otherwise

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I just don't understand how the answer is anything but Matthews. He has been better at every comparable level and age. His rookie season was better than either of Eichel's first two seasons. And don't bother coming at me with PPG as Matthews had a better PP60.

Matthews until proven otherwise

The thing is that we are discussing who will be best next season, and they won't be at the same age then. Matthews will be going into his sophomore season, while Eichel shows every indication of hitting his prime in his third season.

It's very possible that Matthews will outdo what Eichel did last season, but that Eichel is still the better player in the 17/18 season.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
Mark Scheifele says hi...

Really? Out of all the players in the league he's the next candidate to reach 90+ points? Lmao

I think Eichel will put up more points than Matthews this season but the point difference won't be enough to overshadow Matthews' all round game.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Really? Out of all the players in the league he's the next candidate to reach 90+ points? Lmao

I think Eichel will put up more points than Matthews this season but the point difference won't be enough to overshadow Matthews' all round game.
*shrug*

To be fair, scheifele is like the third highest scoring player in the NHL the last season and half since he got too line duties.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
*shrug*

To be fair, scheifele is like the third highest scoring player in the NHL the last season and half since he got too line duties.

Sure I get why people might say that but his oISH% was near the tops in the league while he also shot at 20% himself. I could name atleast 10 guys more likely to hit 90 points

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Not sure anyone will score 90 points other than McDavid.

If healthy, Crosby will be right with McDavid. Quite likely even outproduce him. Nevermind, guys like Stamkos, Malkin (again, if healthy), or Kucherov.

I'm not sure why people seem to have this thought process that McDavid is untouchable offensively. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I mean, if McDavid was so untouchable offensively, you'd think he'd have had better points per 60 than those players. He didn't.

Albeit, Stamkos' 17 games is on the small side sample wise. All the others are 62+ games

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If healthy, Crosby will be right with McDavid. Quite likely even outproduce him. Nevermind, guys like Stamkos, Malkin (again, if healthy), or Kucherov.

I'm not sure why people seem to have this thought process that McDavid is untouchable offensively. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I mean, if McDavid was so untouchable offensively, you'd think he'd have had better points per 60 than those players. He didn't.

Albeit, Stamkos' 17 games is on the small side sample wise. All the others are 62+ games

McDavid plays penalty kill you know.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
McDavid plays penalty kill you know.

48 seconds per game. Not that significant.

It doesn't undo any of the point I made. In fact, Kucherov played slightly over twice the average short handed time per game that McDavid did and was among the group with a higher points per 60.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Lol @ Scheifele being more likely than Kucherov to hit 90 points, Kuch just hit 85 points in 74 games, a 94 point pace. He also just happened to lead the league in points before his linemate Stamkos got injured. Assuming Stamkos stays healthy Kucherov could be an Art Ross candidate.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
it's funny that in all these leafs comps, the guy getting compared to the leaf (e.g. eichel, drai, ehlers, etc etc) always improved dramatically from their rookie year to their sophomore year......but for some reason nobody thinks any of the toronto rookies will improve in their 2nd years.

strange stuff.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Well it was true this past year that's why.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown

Only because Laine will score 70 goals... amirite fins?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Eichel and Mathews are very similar players imo. Next year I see Eichel taking another step and if healthy topping 80 points.

Mathews was put in a great position to succeed by Babcock. Favorable match ups, zone time etc... I also think Mathews had a decent amount of puck luck. Next year Babcock/Toronto/Mathews surprises no one and takes a small step back. A few less goals and a couple more assists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad