Jack Eichel or Austin Matthews 17/18

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I completely get people saying Matthews. Could easily be right. He had a monster rookie year and he's one of the best in the game.

But it'll be an interesting year for those sleeping on Eichel because he "only" put up great numbers on one of the most uninspired, worst run (both in terms of coaching and organizationally) teams in the league these last two years. And last year at least, overcoming one of hockey's worst injuries no less.

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Looking purely at the numbers, Matthews has always introduced Eichel in the comparable year. Until that changes it had to be Matthews.

That said Eichel does have the skill, or Matthews could have an off year. But we will have to wait for that to happen to crown Eichel the better player.

Last edited:

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Matthews, he has a superior supporting cast around him, Eichel's isn't bad but it falls off fast he has ROR Okposo and Kane

Matthews has Nylander Marleau, Marner, JVR, Kadri, Bozak Brown, all except Brown scored 50+ points and Brown got 20 goals on the 3rd line.

Eichel doesn't have 5 60+ point guys on his team, 6 50+ point guys, he doesn't have a 3rd line C that scored 30 goals and 60 points, or if you consider Bozak the 3rd line C 18 goals and 55 points.

Eichel doesn't have a 3rd line RW that got 20 goals as a rookie

Matthews will have a better season because Toronto has more offensive options which means a teams focus has to be ore spread out you can't just focus on Matthews and win the game.

Buffalo has much less depth, sure they can load up a good line a run Kane Eichel and Okposo but if they do that they become a 1 line team.

Even if Toronto did load up their top line and went with Nylander Matthews Marner they still have JVR Bozak Marleau and Komarov Kadri Brown to back them up.

If Toonto went JVR Matthews Nylander they'd still have Marleau Bozak Marner, Komarov Kadri Brown to back them up.

Buffalo doesn't have that depth they are much easier to shut down.

Toronto is a 3 line team

Buffalo is 1 line and part of a 2nd line

Matthews will have the better season as long as he's healthy

This is a very logical answer. Buffalo needs some good forwards and Eichel needs that winger to compliment his game. Everybobys putting there money on somebody steps up and becomes that guy. As of now, that guy doesn't exist and Eichel's left to try and do everything by himself. The way I see it, Eichel is our Getzlaf and we need our Perry.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I believe I voted Matthews the last 53 times this thread was posted in the last week

I'll vote Eichel this time just in case

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is Buffalo still years ahead of the Leafs rebuild is the bigger question.

Nope. Byslma/Babcock killed any chance of that happening. The two teams should be relatively close in terms of talent for the next decade, so the battles should be epic!

As for next year, it's tough to say. Matthews had an incredible rookie year, but Jack also had a great sophomore season. I'll go with Matthews since he's in a better system, has an amazingly deep forward core to work with, and has a better two-way game, though Eichel's transition game may be the best in the game. Tough call.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
How many times are we gonna do this??

Eichel

Until people get the answer right. Matthews. Come on, it's not even close really. It's like asking who was better, Wayne Gretzky or Bernie Nichols. Eichel is the poor man's version of a great player, Matthews is a great player.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Well. Two of the women look like they're young enough to be going to prom, and the third looks rather plain to me. That's just my opinion of course, everyone has their own tastes.

Karlsson, on the other hand, makes me question my own interests. Handsome fellah.

I love reading people on the internet saying things like these beautiful young women are not really that hot. I'm sure all 3 guys would leave their girlfriends for yours.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Matthews one season has been better than either of Eichel's seasons not to mention that Eichel only has 8 more goals than Matthews in 60 more games. Easy answer...it's Matthews.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews one season has been better than either of Eichel's seasons not to mention that Eichel only has 8 more goals than Matthews in 60 more games. Easy answer...it's Matthews.

This. Eichel has to prove he's better than Matthews before anyone claims he is. In 1 season Matthews proved he was better than Eichel in his 2 seasons.

The thing about Matthews that gets me is his 5 on 5 numbers. He was elite and the best in the game. He didn't pad his stats with PP totals. There's so little room to move these days even strength. To be the best goal scorer at E/S at 19 is so impressive.

Last edited:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
This. Eichel has to prove he's better than Matthews before anyone claims he is. In 1 season Matthews proved he was better than Eichel in his 2 seasons.

The thing about Matthews that gets me is his 5 on 5 numbers. He was elite and the best in the game. He didn't pad his stats with PP totals. There's so little room to move these days even strength. To be the best goal scorer at E/S at 19 is so impressive.

Wait, Leafs fans actually think Matthews was better than Eichel last season? Lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Wait, Leafs fans actually think Matthews was better than Eichel last season? Lol

Yeah. Check out Matthews' stats through his first 60 games. We can't say for sure Eichel wouldn't have had a similar decline so I'd give the edge to Matthews, and his overall game and goalscoring was better

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Yes he clearly was. And many, many non-Leaf fans would agree.
You're as biased as any Leaf fans you claim is.

Are goals the only thing that matter now? Eichel had 4 more assists than Matthews in 21 less games. He also had a much better PPG ratio?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Are goals the only thing that matter now? Eichel had 4 more assists than Matthews in 21 less games. He also had a much better PPG ratio?

He had a better PPG ratio based on a lot less games. Very weak argument.
Mathews was second in goals and most goal 5 on 5 in the NHL E/S at 19.

Just stop. I know Jets fans have began this weird thing where there's a big feud with evil Toronto but it's just getting silly. Your little city is very charming and cute.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

It's much easier to have a higher PPG in fewer games though. Matthews is also the better possession player, better defensively, better goal scorer by far, better faceoffs. He also had fewer minutes which hurt his production

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Eichel missed the first quarter and then was hurt all year. Eichel.

Plus Blysma held the whole team back. Housley is going to unleash these guys and have them play to their strengths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad