Jack Eichel or Austin Matthews 17/18

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Point wise? Eichel maybe.

But Matthews will always be the better player. He's a complete package. He's way better defensively and it's not even close.

Oh wake up already from your dreams. Matthews is not a complete package and doesn't have a sample size to be compared against Eichel defensively. Toronto is way more deeper at the moment against Buffalo so it's not that simple to compare 1C to a guy who's team is so deep that all the lines have to be guarded at the same intensity.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think Eichel is the better player. Just doesn't get the hype because he's not in Toronto.

Or he just hasn't played as well. Drop the "Toronto" excuse. Lame.
Matthews had 69 points and 2nd in goals with 40. He'd get hyped anywhere.

Eichel in 2 years has never done what Matthews did last year. The facts back up that statement. Eichel has never hit 60 points, Matthews got 69 as a rookie. Eichel's career high is 24 goals. Matthews had 40 as a rookie last season. But it's all Toronto hype, right?

It's telling the biggest argument for Eichel being better is higher PPG in 21 less games.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Oh wake up already from your dreams. Matthews is not a complete package and doesn't have a sample size to be compared against Eichel defensively. Toronto is way more deeper at the moment against Buffalo so it's not that simple to compare 1C to a guy who's team is so deep that all the lines have to be guarded at the same intensity.

Funny hearing this now given the hype HF gave Buffalo as being so much further and better than the Leafs. They're "Years Ahead" stated the HHF consensus. No way Babcock goes to Toronto. Buffalo is a lock stated HF consensus..

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Do people actually think guys get so much fantastic hype on the Leafs? LOL. Did you guys miss the Phil Kessel years. Was he hyped as something great?:laugh::laugh:

Ridiculous claim. Absolutely laughable.

If Phil Kessel played in Arizona he would have never been known as "Streaky" (Which was a complete myth), or the league example for being one-dimensional.

And where's the Dion Phaneuf criticism? Humm. seems to have gone away. Wonder why...

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Well. Two of the women look like they're young enough to be going to prom, and the third looks rather plain to me. That's just my opinion of course, everyone has their own tastes.

Karlsson, on the other hand, makes me question my own interests. Handsome fellah.

Your interests were clearly exposed when you turned down exhibit A and B

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

Have you ever watched them play? It doesn't take long to notice Matthews is the superior player defensively. In fact, coming into the league it was pretty widely accepted that Matthews was more the two way player while Eichel was more the offensive one. But once Matthews outscored Eichel in his rookie year the narrative seemed to change lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Eichel would have definitely dropped off when his ankle healed. Hilarious.

You don't understand the concept of dropping off as the sample size gets bigger because you think Reinhart-O'Reilly are a better duo than McDavid-Draisaitl because of a 100 minute sample

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
It's funny, I had a conversation with a buffalo fan (think it was aladyyn) who said that Matthews having more points/60 than Eichel doesn't mean much because more minutes doesn't equal more points. But then he went on to say Eichel was the best pp player (in the league) due to his high pp points/60 even though others had more points on the power play per game. Does more minutes equal more points or not? Lol

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It's much easier to have a higher PPG in fewer games though. Matthews is also the better possession player, better defensively, better goal scorer by far, better faceoffs. He also had fewer minutes which hurt his production

It's also easier to have a higher PPG when you play 2:17 more per game than the other guy, with more than 30 seconds more PP time each game as well.

Per minute Matthews was already the more productive player as a rookie before you get into the other advantages.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Matthews one season has been better than either of Eichel's seasons not to mention that Eichel only has 8 more goals than Matthews in 60 more games. Easy answer...it's Matthews.

And yet Eichel's PPG was higher last season coming off a major injury, playing in one of the leagues most conservative systems.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Have you ever watched them play? It doesn't take long to notice Matthews is the superior player defensively. In fact, coming into the league it was pretty widely accepted that Matthews was more the two way player while Eichel was more the offensive one. But once Matthews outscored Eichel in his rookie year the narrative seemed to change lol

Yes I have, both of them. Eichel is a better player offensively, he doesn't have a wide load of depth on the wing which makes his production even more appreciated. The Sabres aren't even close being a hustling deal. I mean I can't even see their strongest part of the ice.

Funny hearing this now given the hype HF gave Buffalo as being so much further and better than the Leafs. They're "Years Ahead" stated the HHF consensus. No way Babcock goes to Toronto. Buffalo is a lock stated HF consensus..

Well you know the HF, the place where prospects and draft picks are better than proven NHLers :laugh:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yes I have, both of them. Eichel is a better player offensively, he doesn't have a wide load of depth on the wing which makes his production even more appreciated. The Sabres aren't even close being a hustling deal. I mean I can't even see their strongest part of the ice.

Well you know the HF, the place where prospects and draft picks are better than proven NHLers :laugh:

Matthews played half the time with Hyman + Connor Brown lol. Nylander is better than any winger on Buffalo though I'll give you that.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Or he just hasn't played as well. Drop the "Toronto" excuse. Lame.
Matthews had 69 points and 2nd in goals with 40. He'd get hyped anywhere.

Eichel in 2 years has never done what Matthews did last year. The facts back up that statement. Eichel has never hit 60 points, Matthews got 69 as a rookie. Eichel's career high is 24 goals. Matthews had 40 as a rookie last season. But it's all Toronto hype, right?

It's telling the biggest argument for Eichel being better is higher PPG in 21 less games.

You keep leaving out the fact that Eichel was hurt last year. For someone who keeps plugging facts, you keep forgetting important ones.

Weird how a guy with Leaf in his name is doing this for someone not named Auston Matthews.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Matthews played half the time with Hyman + Connor Brown lol. Nylander is better than any winger on Buffalo though I'll give you that.

Brown who scored 20 goals and Hyman who has been very much appreciated on his work ethics and doing a lot stuff that doesn't end up on score sheet? The coaches had trouble sending the lines against the Leafs. I mean they have three lines that were capable of making offensive production.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
You keep leaving out the fact that Eichel was hurt last year. For someone who keeps plugging facts, you keep forgetting important ones.

Weird how a guy with Leaf in his name is doing this for someone not named Auston Matthews.

It's hard to quantify how much the injury affected Eichel. Rielly had the same injury but I don't hear people giving him the benefit of the doubt for his rough season.

The fact is draft +2 Eichel had less points/60 then a draft +1 Matthews but had a higher ppg due to playing over 2 minutes extra per game and 21 less games total.

For a guy who is supposed to be better offensively it hasn't shown thus far

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
It's hard to quantify how much the injury affected Eichel. Rielly had the same injury but I don't hear people giving him the benefit of the doubt for his rough season.

The fact is draft +2 Eichel had less points/60 then a draft +1 Matthews but had a higher ppg due to playing over 2 minutes extra per game and 21 less games total.

For a guy who is supposed to be better offensively it hasn't shown thus far

The fact is draft+1 Matthews had less points/gm than a draft +2 Eichel but had a higher p/60 due to Eichel's injury making him less effective in the minutes he played and having worse wingers.

Matthews sucks because he hasn't even hit 30 assists a single time in a season while Eichel has done it twice, what a bum.......

.....see how stupid this looks?

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
The fact is draft+1 Matthews had less points/gm than a draft +2 Eichel but had a higher p/60 due to Eichel's injury making him less effective in the minutes he played and having worse wingers.

Matthews sucks because he hasn't even hit 30 assists a single time in a season while Eichel has done it twice, what a bum.......

.....see how stupid this looks?

Like I said, the injury is hard to quantify. The quality of wingers less so but I'm surprised you think hyman and nylander/brown are better then your crop of wingers. Guess Toronto should be quite a bit better going forward.

Also toi is a big factor in ppg, as is the total number of games played. When Matthews was at the same number of games played he had ~3 less points.

You don't think it's funny how one is a rookie while the other is a sophomore?

But yes, I'll admit, your post does look pretty stupid.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Career stats
PPG regular season: .80 for Eichel, .84 for Matthews
GPG: 0.34 for Eichel to 0.49 for Matthews

Add in Matthews has a better giveaway-takeaway ratio, better +/-, better possession, better faceoffs, better scoring chance generation, better defense, more blocked shots (more in 1 season than Eichel has in 2), less powerplay time, better in Hart, Selke, and Lady Byng voting, and it starts to paint the picture that Matthews is the better player

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Career stats
PPG regular season: .80 for Eichel, .84 for Matthews
GPG: 0.34 for Eichel to 0.49 for Matthews

Add in Matthews has a better giveaway-takeaway ratio, better +/-, better possession, better faceoffs, better scoring chance generation, better defense, more blocked shots (more in 1 season than Eichel has in 2), less powerplay time, better in Hart, Selke, and Lady Byng voting, and it starts to paint the picture that Matthews is the better player

Lady Byng?????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad