NESN Jack Edwards

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
People do realize that Jack has to call the game from the TV feed right. This has to be a lot different from calling live from the arena.

It took me a couple years to get used to Jack, at first I thought he was awful compared to Dale Arnold. Ever since then, I think he is great. I enjoy his call on the game much more than national broadcast, and I actually think he is far better than Arnold was.
I like Jack Edwards I have no problem with him calling the games. If somebody new came in I’m sure people would complain about him or her too

Now that being said the comment he made on the Carolina player injury was wrong but he should not be replaced because if it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why does Edwards assume we are all thrilled when NESN gets to broadcast a game and not NBC? When Edwards is focused he's a very good play-by-play guy, but the quirkiness and the yapping can get annoying. John Forslund, the Toronto NBCSN guy, is just as good at play by play with none of the annoyingness. That, coupled with the lack of the extremely irritating sports scroll, makes me vastly prefer the NBC broadcasts to the NESN ones. Also, though I like NESN's in-studio crew, it's good for a change to hear what others outside the Boston bubble have to say about the game.

Forsland is the Canes play-by-play guy. You would never know it.

Think NBC even considered having Edwards doing Bruins games?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Forsland is the Canes play-by-play guy. You would never know it.

Think NBC even considered having Edwards doing Bruins games?
was the Canes PBP, I believe I heard rumblings that Carolina ownership jettisoned Forslund during the ownership transition the same way Chuck Kaiton wasn't retained

Forslund's contract expired during the last series against the Rangers.....questions remain whether Carolina will retain him past this season

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
was the Canes PBP, I believe I heard rumblings that Carolina ownership jettisoned Forslund during the ownership transition the same way Chuck Kaiton wasn't retained

Forslund's contract expired during the last series against the Rangers.....questions remain whether Carolina will retain him past this season

Forsland's a really pro.

He started in the 1980s doing Springfield (the town he was born in) AHL games. At one time he did Whalers games with Darryl Reaugh on the radio.

Would love to hear him doing Bruins games.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Anyone else notice Jack struggling for the last couple weeks?

Apart from his oddities, he's usually right on the button doing play by play. He's been behind the play at times, calling the wrong players (even Bruins players). Is he slumping with the team or am I seeing something that's not really there?

Consider that it's not easy to call a game when he is remotely watching the same feed you are.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Consider that it's not easy to call a game when he is remotely watching the same feed you are.

He wasn't calling the game, NBC had exclusive rights. He was watching the game just like you and me, and his tweet was well after the replays. So you watch this and tell me "it's not easy" to tell Svechnikov's leg bent 3 different ways.

Reactions: CDJ

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
People do realize that Jack has to call the game from the TV feed right. This has to be a lot different from calling live from the arena.

It took me a couple years to get used to Jack, at first I thought he was awful compared to Dale Arnold. Ever since then, I think he is great. I enjoy his call on the game much more than national broadcast, and I actually think he is far better than Arnold was.

See above. He wasn't calling the game. NBC had exclusive rights (which drives Jack insane).

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Forsland's a really pro.

He started in the 1980s doing Springfield (the town he was born in) AHL games. At one time he did Whalers games with Darryl Reaugh on the radio.

Would love to hear him doing Bruins games.

Forslund's the best in the biz. Too bad he's stuck with that dunce Milbury on the national broadcast.

I can see Forslund easily becoming the main PbP guy for NBC once Emrick hangs it up.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Forslund's the best in the biz. Too bad he's stuck with that dunce Milbury on the national broadcast.

I can see Forslund easily becoming the main PbP guy for NBC once Emrick hangs it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Doc's last playoffs. He's been relegated to third string, he's in the Western Conference when he usually does the East, he's not even broadcasting from the arena, and it's obvious NBC is giving the Forslund - Meathead - Bouch team the prime spots.

Reactions: RoccoF14

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I like Jack Edwards I have no problem with him calling the games. If somebody new came in I’m sure people would complain about him or her too

Now that being said the comment he made on the Carolina player injury was wrong but he should not be replaced because if it.

I don't think he should get fired over the comment either. I think he should get fired because he's terrible and makes the games worse. lol

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

When he said late in the 3rd during game 4, “if the Bruins hold on to win, they clinch the series” followed by a long noticeable silence. I don’t think you can blame that comment on watching remotely. Brick subtlety mentioned there would be a game in 5 on Wednesday a few minutes later.

I have long defended Jack but after watching this playoffs and the previous season before the shutdown. I think it is time to move on. He isn’t just screwing up names, it is a whole list of things at this point.

His comments over Svechnikov put it past the point of no return. Time for something other than Jack.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
When he said late in the 3rd during game 4, “if the Bruins hold on to win, they clinch the series” followed by a long noticeable silence. I don’t think you can blame that comment on watching remotely. Brick subtlety mentioned there would be a game in 5 on Wednesday a few minutes later.

I have long defended Jack but after watching this playoffs and the previous season before the shutdown. I think it is time to move on. He isn’t just screwing up names, it is a whole list of things at this point.

His comments over Svechnikov put it past the point of no return. Time for something other than Jack.
Don't steal Goucher from us, pls

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

Just a bit off topic. But it's important to me that Milbury has that job. Because it makes me realize that anything is possible. And if Mike Milbury can somehow keep a great job like that for 15 years, then perhaps I might still be able to get a lucky break and make something of myself in life. Sorry for off-topic.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Not a fan of cancel culture, it's stupid and it's for stupid people. Everyone makes mistakes, very hard in this world to know exactly what to say in which place and at what time. Jack get's a little carried away, so what who doesn't at some point.

This is the reason I'm not on any social media other than HF boards. This willingness to attack anyone based on one statement that didn't suit the statement police is f***ing ridiculous and anyone that is a part of the culture should be ashamed. We all make mistakes. I know I do, maybe even more than my share but f*** it, I ain't apologizing to the cancel culture. They are just a very f***ing loud and annoying minority anyway.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

Since his contract with the Canes wasn't renewed, I could easily see NBC elevating Forslund to its #2 role (it essentially has by posting him up in Toronto). They've had Kenny Albert in the #2 PXP role for a long time, but he has a lot of other irons in the fire as the Rangers' radio PXP. With Forslund now available, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the network full-time, especially because that would allow him to stay in Raleigh. The only team with a broadcaster opening (that I know of - and I follow such things pretty closely) is Tampa Bay's TV job.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I wouldn't be surprised if this is Doc's last playoffs. He's been relegated to third string, he's in the Western Conference when he usually does the East, he's not even broadcasting from the arena, and it's obvious NBC is giving the Forslund - Meathead - Bouch team the prime spots.

Doc will be able to do what he wants as long as he wants. He's been cutting his schedule back for the last few years, but he'll be the #1 guy at NBC as long as he wants to be. He still does the prime-time weekend games (currently working from his home in Michigan). Forslund is getting most of the Toronto games because he's actually at the arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad