NESN Jack Edwards

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Anyone else notice Jack struggling for the last couple weeks?

Apart from his oddities, he's usually right on the button doing play by play. He's been behind the play at times, calling the wrong players (even Bruins players). Is he slumping with the team or am I seeing something that's not really there?
Yes. I'm not sure if it's an eye sight issue or if something worrisome may be going on. We noticed it here at our house- hubby and son had some WTH moments, asking if Jack was watching the same game we were.

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.

Apart from his oddities, he's usually right on the button doing play by play. He's been behind the play at times, calling the wrong players (even Bruins players). Is he slumping with the team or am I seeing something that's not really there?
Haven’t noticed although I don’t get to see all the games on NESN . That said , I’d still take a slumping Jack over the other 30 broadcasters all day every day .

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I don't understand all the hate towards Jack, even from very knowledgeable and respectable posters here. I can be fair and unbiased as a viewer even watching his biased commentary. I think he is very knowledgable and interesting. Given my current life circumstances I watch most games on mute, which I consider a disadvantage because Jack offers useful insight and excitement when I get to watch with the volume on. Has he been slipping? I'll leave that question to more thorough listeners, but I hope he's not, because he's a joy to listen to when he's on his game.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
I don't understand all the hate towards Jack, even from very knowledgeable and respectable posters here. I can be fair and unbiased as a viewer even watching his biased commentary. I think he is very knowledgable and interesting. Given my current life circumstances I watch most games on mute, which I consider a disadvantage because Jack offers useful insight and excitement when I get to watch with the volume on. Has he been slipping? I'll leave that question to more thorough listeners, but I hope he's not, because he's a joy to listen to when he's on his game.
I don't hate Jack at all. I am genuinely thinking he either needs his eyes checked or something else might be going on.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I personally haven't noticed any big difference. I remember Brick chiming in over the last several years but no more than usual. That being said, I am probably close to the same age...so....lol

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
He’s certainly not at the twilight Bob Cole or probably hit happy hour Denis Potvin levels yet but he has been carving up some games recently.

That said, there’s a lot worse out there still. Hope he just needs a prescription updated

Reactions: TCB

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I have noticed it. He's in a slump.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Jack has his moments both ways. He can go way over board on the smallest of things that is almost embarrassing to making a good moment feel special. Certainly like Jack... but my guess he would be voted hands down worst announcer in the league by other fans because of his homerism.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think he just sees what he wants to see and creates his own narrative to help swing the casual viewer.

Entertaining though.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I love Jack, and here's why:

I asked an orchestral conductor once what was the hardest part of his job. "Beethoven, maybe?" I asked.

He said conducting Beethoven was easy. It was composed so brilliantly it was nearly impossible to mess up.

But conducting lesser known works? Making a work sound a lot better than it really was took some effort.

Likewise, there are quite a few dud games throughout the grind of an NHL season. Jack Edwards, does his best to entertain, even when the game itself isn't on par with Beethoven.

Same with Emrick. Call me odd, but I love listening to both he and Edwards.

Reactions: Save By Thomas

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Never been a big Edwards fan and 99% percent of the time I watch the away feed, but hopefully he's just in a mid-season slump.

aguineapig

Watch the games alone pretty much now but years ago watched many a TV38 broadcast with my Cousin Lee. He had a massive (for the day) 48 inch Magnavox, compared to my 12 in Black and White it was like a movie theater screen. Just as importantly he had a restaurant grade fryolator from the folks takeout at his place. Fred and John, Anheuser Busch and a basket of chicken nuggets and fries and we were ready for action. We'd yell and scream, curse the Refs and the Habs, jump off the couch to cheer a goal or join in the fisticuffs it was like being in the second balcony. Saw Lee this summer, the lines in his face like a Rand McNally road map now but the first thing we reminisced about were those Days.
Now it's me, the voices in my head and Jack that watch the games. It's like Lee is sitting on the couch with me when Ole Jack gets cranked up and starts into a classic rant. And I kind of like the company. Keep it up my friend.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Watch the games alone pretty much now but years ago watched many a TV38 broadcast with my Cousin Lee. He had a massive (for the day) 48 inch Magnavox, compared to my 12 in Black and White it was like a movie theater screen. Just as importantly he had a restaurant grade fryolator from the folks takeout at his place. Fred and John, Anheuser Busch and a basket of chicken nuggets and fries and we were ready for action. We'd yell and scream, curse the Refs and the Habs, jump off the couch to cheer a goal or join in the fisticuffs it was like being in the second balcony. Saw Lee this summer, the lines in his face like a Rand McNally road map now but the first thing we reminisced about were those Days.
Now it's me, the voices in my head and Jack that watch the games. It's like Lee is sitting on the couch with me when Ole Jack gets cranked up and starts into a classic rant. And I kind of like the company. Keep it up my friend.

You're a poet

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I can remember Fred Cusick constantly referring to Bourque as Orr.. I also loved when Fred & Derek would bicker on air. :laugh:

So no worries, I love Jack & Brick!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It happens as you age. I called my youngest, Matthew, ‘Murray’ for years.

Murray was our labradoodle.

:wally: Tell me about it.

I get emails all the time from the Bruins asking if I remember certain games of long ago. The Bruins are planning a huge coffee table book for the 100th Anniversary and Clark Booth wrote most of the first 90 years before he passed.

In fairness to Jack in most arenas, he has one of the worst seats in the house - I wish the announcers could be at the same level as the cameras as we had at the old Garden but that isn't going to happen.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
:wally: Tell me about it.

I get emails all the time from the Bruins asking if I remember certain games of long ago. The Bruins are planning a huge coffee table book for the 100th Anniversary and Clark Booth wrote most of the first 90 years before he passed.

In fairness to Jack in most arenas, he has one of the worst seats in the house - I wish the announcers could be at the same level as the cameras as we had at the old Garden but that isn't going to happen.

You should write your own book - before the memories become shadows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad