NESN Jack Edwards

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
The wrinkle in this is what is Jacobs going to do with NESN? Crazy as this sounds Jacobs needs CASH as his business worldwide has been slaughtered the past 5 months.

At the same time, NBC Sports Boston is struggling with only one team. NBC/Universal and the Celtics are said to be willing to offer Jacobs 40% of a new revamped NBC Sports Boston and the Bruins moving. to the station. Jacobs could then sell his 20% of NESN to the Red Sox which is worth at least $200 million and perhaps as much as $300 million.

NBC has done a good job producing local hockey in Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago and San Jose and NESN has fallen behind the other RSN's around the NHL.

:popcorn:

I wonder how NBCSN would handle an overlap in Bruins Celtics games though. Nesn has Nesn Plus for when they want to play the Putrid Red Sox over the Bruins games.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wonder how NBCSN would handle an overlap in Bruins Celtics games though. Nesn has Nesn Plus for when they want to play the Putrid Red Sox over the Bruins games.

They can easily set up a plus station

They can also use the OTA NBC station as they do in Philly and San Jose

Reactions: sarge88

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They can easily set up a plus station

They can also use the OTA NBC station as they do in Philly and San Jose
problem with that is convincing the cable companies to add another channel, Fenway.....we already have issues with posters complaining when a) a game is delayed, as was the scenario with Carolina game 1, being rescheduled.....

NESN + wasn't either a channel unto itself, it was an extra channel that some cable companies used a local access channel, as the channel itself.... Charter Spectrum did that for years, before adding NESN+ as a separate network or extension.

same reasoning as to when everything changed from analog to digital signals, all the networks decreed themselves as a "must-carry"

that is why NBC 10 Boston is not carried outside of the Commonwealth, but NECN is, EVEN under common ownership.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I've noticed Jack slipping over the past year or so.

Time and age are still undefeated.

Once the Bruins commit to a rebuild(whenever that may be) they might want to look into bringing in a whole new announcing staff.

I like Brick. I think he is spot-on, insightful, and hitting his career stride. But I can see him getting snatched up by another of the NHL networks for national games.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Edwards' gleeful celebrations of head-hunting violence (when it's the Bruins doing the head hunting) can get tiresome and is tone deaf in the era of CTE-awareness, but he is good at play by play. He and Brick are basically fine, and the between-periods crew is excellent. If only NESN would get rid of the old-fashioned scroll. For some reason, the games always look better when they are on NBC, and it's interesting to get a different perspective on the Bruins.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I've noticed Jack slipping over the past year or so.

Time and age are still undefeated.

Once the Bruins commit to a rebuild(whenever that may be) they might want to look into bringing in a whole new announcing staff.

I like Brick. I think he is spot-on, insightful, and hitting his career stride. But I can see him getting snatched up by another of the NHL networks for national games.

I think that's what will happen. The Jack-Brick duo is like most of the other things in this era of the Bruins - wearing thin. Their voices have defined the Chara/Bergeron/Neely/2011 Cup era but it's very much in its twilight now and the time to definitively move on from it, both on and off the ice, is either going to be this summer or the next at the very latest. When that happens it only makes sense to refresh the TV crew too. Hopefully that will usher in the age of Goucher.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think that's what will happen. The Jack-Brick duo is like most of the other things in this era of the Bruins - wearing thin. Their voices have defined the Chara/Bergeron/Neely/2011 Cup era but it's very much in its twilight now and the time to definitively move on from it, both on and off the ice, is either going to be this summer or the next at the very latest. When that happens it only makes sense to refresh the TV crew too. Hopefully that will usher in the age of Goucher.
I’d love that, fan of his. Who replaces Brick?

BUP

Sep 6, 2017
I'd love to see Pederson in Brick's role. Brick rambles way to0 much for my liking. Especially after the bruins score. Pederson also seems to be a little more humble about both his playing days and hockey knowledge.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I'd love to see Pederson in Brick's role. Brick rambles way to0 much for my liking. Especially after the bruins score. Pederson also seems to be a little more humble about both his playing days and hockey knowledge.

I think Pederson is an option. Someone completely new could be good too, but I'm not sure who. New England-based expert commentators probably aren't in large supply. Otherwise I wouldn't be completely adverse to Brick staying on, but his dynamics and way of commenting would have to change a bit - it couldn't just be him doing the same shtick alongside Goucher or whoever else, he'd have to modify his approach both to make it fit with how the new guy works and ensure that their pairing was a genuine fresh break from the past.

BUP

Sep 6, 2017
I think Pederson is an option. Someone completely new could be good too, but I'm not sure who. New England-based expert commentators probably aren't in large supply. Otherwise I wouldn't be completely adverse to Brick staying on, but his dynamics and way of commenting would have to change a bit - it couldn't just be him doing the same shtick alongside Goucher or whoever else, he'd have to modify his approach both to make it fit with how the new guy works and ensure that their pairing was a genuine fresh break from the past.
I synced the radio broadcast last night and it worked for the most part. They take the less is more approach, which I like.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
I find Jack way more entertaining than most play-by-play guys but he's just so f***ing weird lol. The sister comment last night... dude what? You're on national TV! I feel bad for Brick sometimes, how do you even respond to some of this shit? I'd be left speechless as well :laugh:

This post is exactly how I feel about Jack. Most out of market fans want his head on a blade, but he’s a funny, quirky and passionate guy. Clearly roots for other teams’ stars and can’t say enough good things about their budding talent. That said, he was extremely odd last night and I was just shaking my head and laughing to myself. Ridiculous human being.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
As someone from the Ontario CA area I love Whacky Jacky. Hes passionate and has some great calls.

The sister thing was weiord but I think it came out wrong. No one is perfect.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I synced the radio broadcast last night and it worked for the most part. They take the less is more approach, which I like.

Sirott's "HE SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!" has got to go. Not every goal is a 7th game OT winner. There's no need for those histrionics for a Tuesday night regular season game vs. the dregs of the league. Besides, it's too close to those idiotic soccer calls.

BUP

Sep 6, 2017
Sirott's "HE SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!" has got to go. Not every goal is a 7th game OT winner. There's no need for those histrionics for a Tuesday night regular season game vs. the dregs of the league. Besides, it's too close to those idiotic soccer calls.
I agree on this detail for sure.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Pederson is terrific. Raycroft has been very good but I do miss his humble analysis as you said it.

Brick is generally very good although at times his NESN script comes through strong. Jack is one of the better play by play talents when he does not go too over the top but change is at times a good thing. How many years has NESN had the same set up? 15 at this point?

Reactions: bup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad