NESN Jack Edwards

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
Something about Jack I like. I know how absurd he is but its funny most of the time. He can’t control himself which in a way is hysterical. Its almost like having an ex. You know you shouldn’t go back to them, but something about them brings you back.

Did I just say Jack Edwards is my ex? Oh well

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I actually like Milbury as a color announcer, even if he says outrageous things, like his harsh comments about Tuukka (which certainly were representative of an unfortunate segment of Boston fandom). He is blunt and unafraid to call out players for mistakes, but also quick to praise, and he has a pungent humor that makes for good listening. The comment about women in the bubble was an attempt at humor (and a little truth) that backfired, but it's certainly not worth canceling him over.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if this is Doc's last playoffs. He's been relegated to third string, he's in the Western Conference when he usually does the East, he's not even broadcasting from the arena, and it's obvious NBC is giving the Forslund - Meathead - Bouch team the prime spots.
And rightly so. Doc has had a long and successful career. But he can’t keep up with the play. It’s really tough to listen to him do PbP these days.

Reactions: Gordoff

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I actually like Milbury as a color announcer, even if he says outrageous things......He is blunt and unafraid to call out players for mistakes..........

When he calls out players for mistakes, it would help if he actually was talking about the correct player once in a while.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Something about Jack I like. I know how absurd he is but its funny most of the time. He can’t control himself which in a way is hysterical. Its almost like having an ex. You know you shouldn’t go back to them, but something about them brings you back.

Did I just say Jack Edwards is my ex? Oh well
:naughty:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I actually like Milbury as a color announcer, even if he says outrageous things, like his harsh comments about Tuukka (which certainly were representative of an unfortunate segment of Boston fandom). He is blunt and unafraid to call out players for mistakes, but also quick to praise, and he has a pungent humor that makes for good listening. The comment about women in the bubble was an attempt at humor (and a little truth) that backfired, but it's certainly not worth canceling him over.
I think the comment about "women aren't in the bubble" has to do with certain players being distracted with going out and trying to pick up women. You see it more with other sports stars IMO but if this took place in 2013 I think Seguin may still be here. He was young, handsome and athlete and wild and obviously wanted to enjoy all that life had to offer without really thinking about what it meant to his teammates and his chance at winning a cup.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Isn't he under contract to Las Vegas?

I don't know his contract details, but he sure sounded like he was done when Vegas wrapped up their first round series.

He wouldn't come back East for a radio gig, and I doubt he would come back for anything but hockey, with how long it's been his sport.

That leads me to believe he's gonna have the Bruins TV PBP...

Reactions: smithformeragent

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I don't know his contract details, but he sure sounded like he was done when Vegas wrapped up their first round series.

He wouldn't come back East for a radio gig, and I doubt he would come back for anything but hockey, with how long it's been his sport.

816d2d2a7392a3996930164df2e936d57b5dca22r1-480-468_00.gif

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

But the Bruins already have a TV PBP guy, like him or not. Not familiar about Jack’s contract but I have not read that either NESN Or the Bruins are displeased with him. Just a few fans.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Devil’s Advocate here:

Given that Jack likes to editorialize, and the “sensitive” nature of these times we live in, might NESN prefer a more traditional PBP guy along the likes of Gouch and leave the color commentary to Brick/someone else?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
But the Bruins already have a TV PBP guy, like him or not. Not familiar about Jack’s contract but I have not read that either NESN Or the Bruins are displeased with him. Just a few fans.

Googling it got me this:

Jack Edwards to remain with NESN as Bruins play-by-play voice | Boston.com

Jack signed an extension in 2018 to take him through the 2021-22 season.

I think @Fenway said that Goucher got some kind of offer back here, but Goucher also went on some Vegas radio show a couple days ago to debunk the idea that he's leaving, so who knows? :dunno: I'd certainly love to see him back here as a Jack replacement.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Googling it got me this:

Jack Edwards to remain with NESN as Bruins play-by-play voice | Boston.com

Jack signed an extension in 2018 to take him through the 2021-22 season.

I think @Fenway said that Goucher got some kind of offer back here, but Goucher also went on some Vegas radio show a couple days ago to debunk the idea that he's leaving, so who knows? :dunno: I'd certainly love to see him back here as a Jack replacement.
most likely Goucher simply cannot be allowed to leave until the season is over, Fenway did also state that could Delaware North sell their stake in NESN and then try to leverage that into NBCSB....

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
most likely Goucher simply cannot be allowed to leave until the season is over, Fenway did also state that could Delaware North sell their stake in NESN and then try to leverage that into NBCSB....

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. Neither Goucher nor Edwards will be calling any more games this season. For regional broadcasts, the season is over. No one's suggesting that Goucher would leave Vegas and start calling Bruins games tomorrow.

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007
Have always loved jacks emotion. He gets absolutely wild and it’s generally amusing.

Edit

being the only nhl fan in the house, it’s nice to have someone yelling with me

Last edited:
Reactions: KWbruin

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Dave Goucher had a very emotional sign-off at the end of the Golden Knights/ Blackhawks series. This sign-off lead some fans to believe he was leaving Vegas and heading back to Boston. Dave joined the show to clear the air and his broadcaster partner called into join the fun. PLUS - we get exclusive Dave Goucher Karaoke.

Dave Goucher and Shane Hnidy Interview

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The wrinkle in this is what is Jacobs going to do with NESN? Crazy as this sounds Jacobs needs CASH as his business worldwide has been slaughtered the past 5 months.

At the same time, NBC Sports Boston is struggling with only one team. NBC/Universal and the Celtics are said to be willing to offer Jacobs 40% of a new revamped NBC Sports Boston and the Bruins moving. to the station. Jacobs could then sell his 20% of NESN to the Red Sox which is worth at least $200 million and perhaps as much as $300 million.

NBC has done a good job producing local hockey in Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago and San Jose and NESN has fallen behind the other RSN's around the NHL.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Dave Goucher had a very emotional sign-off at the end of the Golden Knights/ Blackhawks series. This sign-off lead some fans to believe he was leaving Vegas and heading back to Boston. Dave joined the show to clear the air and his broadcaster partner called into join the fun. PLUS - we get exclusive Dave Goucher Karaoke.

Dave Goucher and Shane Hnidy Interview

This was awesome haha.

I miss him a ton... But he seemed rather adamant in that interview he's staying put.

Reactions: Fenway

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love Jack Edwards. In world becoming more edited, sanitized, and homogenized with each passing day, I love his unbridled enthusiasm. Enjoy it while it lasts; cancel culture loves to stalk prey like him.
I like Jack as well and love Gouchet

I have a major problem with the cancel culture - angry uptight overly sensitive

Reactions: PB37

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
At the same time, NBC Sports Boston is struggling with only one team. NBC/Universal and the Celtics are said to be willing to offer Jacobs 40% of a new revamped NBC Sports Boston and the Bruins moving. to the station. Jacobs could then sell his 20% of NESN to the Red Sox which is worth at least $200 million and perhaps as much as $300 million.

NBC has done a good job producing local hockey in Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago and San Jose and NESN has fallen behind the other RSN's around the NHL.

As a viewer, the production on NBCSB programming is tiers above NESN. NESN looks like it should be the RSN for Toledo, not the best sports city in America.

I would love Jacobs to "swap" over. However, what does the Celtics' piece look like?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The wrinkle in this is what is Jacobs going to do with NESN? Crazy as this sounds Jacobs needs CASH as his business worldwide has been slaughtered the past 5 months.

I’d likely never watch NESN again.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Move Jack to the desk, next to Arnold. Allows him to do what he does best ( opnion pieces, in depth player background bios, etc etc ) and keeps him from having to do play by play, which he's been slowly losing steam on.

Get John Forslund in here. Local guy from Springfield. Good voice, calls a solid game. Hes not as excitable as Jack, which is both a pro and con, but he's one of the better guys in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad