NESN Jack Edwards

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
He’s painful to listen too. His pregame lectures and his over reactions. I get he does his homework but I cringe a lot listening to him.

The pre-game nonsense about his high school teachers in NH was downright bizarre.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'll take bizarre over vanilla cliche sameness 10 times out of 10. Hard to believe Edwards has been in this role since, what, 2005?

Sorry, but I watch the game to see a hockey game, not to listen to some clown doing his shtick. You don't have to be plain vanilla to make the game more about the game, and less about the announcer.

Reactions: sarge88

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He used to be pretty comical calling the games, now he’s just unhinged and struggling with his words/overall awareness.

Some lines I remember enjoying..

• Yelling at Hamerlik to “GET UP!” when he dove.
  • “2 U’s 2 K’s 2 points”
  • “The Leafs are mulch again!”
  • Thomas stopping Kovalchuk, Jack says “You better pay him in Rubles!”
  • Saying shots or passes have “Chinese mustard” on them.
  • “There’s brave Steve” when Steve Ott got ejected and was peaking his head out to watch the game from the tunnel

Reactions: KWbruin

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
@Fenway what was the final story on the failed Goucher coming back? Was NBC getting out of hockey completely kill that deal? It was such a bizarre sign off from him on the last Vegas game last year, seemed like it was a done deal...

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
One classic night Shea said something and Derek snapped

"Shut up fatso, you can't even skate"

Fred Cusick could be heard giggling.

I’ve told this before but now might be a good time to re-tell.

I’m sure I’m not the only New England 50 something year old who saw Derek do his anti drug and alcohol presentation in high school.

During the Q and A portion of the assembly my friend asked him if he hated Dave Shea as much as we all do?

Dereks reply,,,

Nah, Dave’s a good guy......doesn’t know anything about hockey, but he’s a good guy.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Last edited:
Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve told this before but now might be a good time to re-tell.

I’m sure I’m not the only New England 50 something year old who saw Derek do his anti drug and alcohol presentation in high school.

During the Q and A portion of the assembly my friend asked him if he hated Dave Shea as much as we all do?

Dereks reply,,,

Nah, Dave’s a good guy......doesn’t know anything about hockey, bet he’s a good guy.
Harry had him out there

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I've always loved Jack Edwards. Back in 2000, i remember telling Purple Shamrock that i really enjoy the way the guy Edwards calls games on ESPN 2 and how he gives a radio PbP vibe on a tv telecast. When he joined the nesn crew, i was stoked. I think he and Dale were splitting home/away games for a time?

Anyway, with all that said, i think Jack has lost his fastball. He genuinely seems more confused this year than ever and it's hard to tell if it's his age or if it's calling the game from a monitor and not live. Sadly, I think it's a mix of both.

I wouldn't hate it if he joined the desk team with Billy and Razor and the Bruins found a new PbP voice. To me, Edwards voice represents the majority of the best moments of what's been my favorite era of Bruins hockey and I'm glad he's been at the helm of this ride. Afterall, he was the guy I wanted and he did not disappoint me. But i think this movie is nearing the credits.

Reactions: KWbruin

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Jack can get irritating. But overall, I really appreciate the passion. I can take the good with the bad. I'm assuming he'll eventually be cancelled because he's so unscripted.

Reactions: Aeroforce

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He used to be pretty comical calling the games, now he’s just unhinged and struggling with his words/overall awareness.

Some lines I remember enjoying..

• Yelling at Hamerlik to “GET UP!” when he dove.
  • “2 U’s 2 K’s 2 points”
  • “The Leafs are mulch again!”
  • Thomas stopping Kovalchuk, Jack says “You better pay him in Rubles!”
  • Saying shots or passes have “Chinese mustard” on them.
  • “There’s brave Steve” when Steve Ott got ejected and was peaking his head out to watch the game from the tunnel

Now he talks about how he enjoyed pinning his sisters down...

Reactions: Saxon Eric

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Now he talks about how he enjoyed pinning his sisters down...
Interpretation

I didn’t think of anything more then fighting with my sister where you use your knees on their shoulders lol

I used to get in some good scraps when I was young with siblings but all till about 10 or so

Maybe there was something going on but I didn’t pick it up when he said it

Jack seems nerdy but nothing nefarious. If he was doing something bad you don’t tell a story.

I’m used to him so I’m good with him doing games

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad