Confirmed with Link: Jack Drury signs ELC

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So I watched some highlights, he has kind of a Jordan Staal and/or Eric to his game that I never noticed before.

I'm excited about this. Kid has potential in my mind to be a lottery pick when those redraft threads for 2018 start appearing in 2-3 years.

This franchise has an insanely good crop of young talent coming up to go with guys like Geekie and Necas. It's everything I had hoped the 2008-13 ish crop would have turned out.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Literally no chance he plays here 15 years while becoming Captain. I don't think anyone has to worry about that.

He will make the team this season, become great and then he will be offer sheeted a la Aho only for us not be able to match because we signed Tyson Barrie, and Jake Bean/Brady Skjei's replacement to cap paralyzing deals.

Trust me, I've never been wrong about this before.

You heard it here first. :sarcasm:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
From the official presser:
not sure if this was in response to lempo and i's discusion, but if it was: performance bonuses are never announced in hurricanes press releases. we always find out a few days later from capfriendly.

for instance here's aho's press release: "The deal will pay Aho $832,500 in the NHL or $70,000 in the American Hockey League for all three seasons, and he receives a signing bonus of $277,500." Canes sign Aho, Saarela to entry-level deals

but if you look on capfriendly you'll see $850,000 in potential performance bonuses per year, indicating that he got max schedule A bonuses: Sebastian Aho - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
not sure if this was in reponse to lempo and i's discusion, but if it was: performance bonuses are never announced in hurricanes press releases. we always find out a few days later from capfriendly.

for instance here's aho's press release: "The deal will pay Aho $832,500 in the NHL or $70,000 in the American Hockey League for all three seasons, and he receives a signing bonus of $277,500." Canes sign Aho, Saarela to entry-level deals

but if you look on capfriendly you'll see $850,000 in potential performance bonuses per year, indicating that he got max schedule A bonuses: Sebastian Aho - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Might be (or then not) related to the fact that quite often the bonus we agree with our ELC guys are of the Games Played variety, which in fact makes more sense for a tweener. CapFriendly stupidly present everything under the header of "Performance Bonus", but Games Played bonus works somewhat differently.

The big difference in the optics of the initial reporting is that games Played Bonus counts against the max ELC Salary of $925k, so a player with a $200k Games Played Bonus (for playing 10 or more Games in the NHL in the season in question) could and would be initially reported having $725k NHL Salary (for example).

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's goddamn decyphering sometimes actually. Case in study: David Cotton.

David Cotton - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
q2.svg
AAV
q2.svg
P. BONUSES
q2.svg
S. BONUSES
q2.svg
BASE SALARY
q2.svg
TOTAL SALARY
q2.svg
MINORS SALARY
q2.svg
2020-21$858,750$1,350,000$557,500$92,500$700,000$792,500$70,000
2021-22$858,750$1,350,000$425,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
TOTAL$1,717,500$2,700,000$982,500$185,000$1,532,500$1,717,500$140,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It very much looks like Cotton has a Schedule A Performance Bonus of $425k for both seasons, but on top of that season 20/21 has a Games Played Bonus of $132,5k, which brings the Base Salary down to $700k.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
would not be shocked if Drury wins 4c slot in camp.

Svech - Aho-TT
Nino-Tro-Necas
McGinn-Staal-Fast
Lorentz-Drury-Geekie

thinking they resign McGinn. 4th line is cheap which allows mgmt. flexibility to trade/sign FA. perhaps Gardiner buy-out.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
would not be shocked if Drury wins 4c slot in camp.

Svech - Aho-TT
Nino-Tro-Necas
McGinn-Staal-Fast
Lorentz-Drury-Geekie

thinking they resign McGinn. 4th line is cheap which allows mgmt. flexibility to trade/sign FA. perhaps Gardiner buy-out.
We didn’t improve any here with an offense who struggled to score in the playoffs. We can predict to only tread water during the regular season as Nino will regress and Svech/ Necas improving

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
After Rod’s comments I heard in an interview I don’t think we’ll have the same top six unless things just don’t fall out way. He admitted we have to get better while hoping we keep together as much as we can. I don’t think Drury should win the fourth line spot but it’s certainly possible.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Don't ignore mgmt.'s very public comments and non-commital to players (Hamilton) due to salary cap concerns. They are likely moving on from Martinook and Foegele and I think they end up protecting Skjei and expose Bean. With Svech and Necas needing new contracts, they need cheap players this year on the 4th line, especially if they match an offer Hamilton gets in FA. I don't rule that out. Drury would fit nicely from a cap mgmt perspective and the guy has gotten better every year. Just played in a pro league and won a championship. He will given every opportunity to make the team as the 4c.

I think McGinn is re-signed, otherwise, I would lump Jarvis/Cotton in as possibles to make the team.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Jarvis would be a stretch. Rod wants defense first players, and Jarvis is the kind of guy I think he wants in the top six. If Cotton learns how to be a grinder he could get a bottom six spot.

They love Drury, so I could see them forcing him into a fourth line spot even though development in the minors would probably help his offense more down the road. If we want him to be more later, now is the best time for him to work on that.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it can already be argued that the shl is a tougher league than the ahl. folks need to really sink their teeth into that concept, because hockey now has a hierarchy that is very plain. nhl over khl over liiga equal to shl, swiss, germany, etc. i would probably put the ahl as it currently exists somewhere on equal ground with liiga and shl and likely a step behind it, because teams are realizing how prohibitive it is to deal with the ahl's eligibility requirements when a prospect can sign a contract with a european team (that you don't pay for (!!!) and get a full season of maturation both in hockey and in life.

teams are mostly retaining veterans at the ahl level only if they're very, very close to being needed on the big club or if the roster is just an embarrassment without them. it has enhanced the quality of the product immensely all over the world to have players sorted by ability. with what drury did in the shl last season, it's more than enough to show he's ready. another development that used to be pertinent is they used to talk about european ice being so much bigger, but most of the leagues to the extent of my knowledge have already adopted nhl sized rinks. there may be older barns that have yet to change over, but that's where it's going. plus, when you talk about system hockey i don't think we have ever seen the stylistic approach as similar as it is around the world as it is now. there used to be *vastly* different expectations by position in the various euro leagues, but now they mostly play conventional systems with minor tweaks here and there, but the overall role designation is basically the same.

to me, drury has already put his time in. i don't think it's wise to cap him on any specific line at this point. that will be determined in camp, but i am almost 100% he's going to get as much as he can handle. immensely skilled player who has probably had more negative association with his last name to style of play comparison to any prospect in recent memory. maybe alfie turcotte and alex turcotte. don't get me wrong, people aren't being derogatory when make chris drury comparisons but they're pretty well off the mark. this is an offensive hockey player with rare talent.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
. another development that used to be pertinent is they used to talk about european ice being so much bigger, but most of the leagues to the extent of my knowledge have already adopted nhl sized rinks. there may be older barns that have yet to change over, but that's where it's going.

Is that true? In the interview with Drury earlier in this thread, he specifically stated that he wanted to work on his skating to playing on the bigger ice all season helped with that so it sounds like the SHL is still on larger rinks.

I have no idea though so maybe @Lucky Lindy @Lempo and others can comment on the SHL, SM-liiga and other leagues.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
it can already be argued that the shl is a tougher league than the ahl. folks need to really sink their teeth into that concept, because hockey now has a hierarchy that is very plain. nhl over khl over liiga equal to shl, swiss, germany, etc. i would probably put the ahl as it currently exists somewhere on equal ground with liiga and shl and likely a step behind it, because teams are realizing how prohibitive it is to deal with the ahl's eligibility requirements when a prospect can sign a contract with a european team (that you don't pay for (!!!) and get a full season of maturation both in hockey and in life.

teams are mostly retaining veterans at the ahl level only if they're very, very close to being needed on the big club or if the roster is just an embarrassment without them. it has enhanced the quality of the product immensely all over the world to have players sorted by ability. with what drury did in the shl last season, it's more than enough to show he's ready. another development that used to be pertinent is they used to talk about european ice being so much bigger, but most of the leagues to the extent of my knowledge have already adopted nhl sized rinks. there may be older barns that have yet to change over, but that's where it's going. plus, when you talk about system hockey i don't think we have ever seen the stylistic approach as similar as it is around the world as it is now. there used to be *vastly* different expectations by position in the various euro leagues, but now they mostly play conventional systems with minor tweaks here and there, but the overall role designation is basically the same.

to me, drury has already put his time in. i don't think it's wise to cap him on any specific line at this point. that will be determined in camp, but i am almost 100% he's going to get as much as he can handle. immensely skilled player who has probably had more negative association with his last name to style of play comparison to any prospect in recent memory. maybe alfie turcotte and alex turcotte. don't get me wrong, people aren't being derogatory when make chris drury comparisons but they're pretty well off the mark. this is an offensive hockey player with rare talent.
personally i'd rank the leagues as

nhl

khl

nla
shl

ahl
liiga

czech

del

del to me isn't very good, and is borderline in the second tier of euro leagues along with with slovakia, icehl (formerly ebel), allsvenkan, etc. i've seen way too many ahl third liners go to the del and dominate to make me thinks it's a particulary good league.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Is that true? In the interview with Drury earlier in this thread, he specifically stated that he wanted to work on his skating to playing on the bigger ice all season helped with that so it sounds like the SHL is still on larger rinks.

I have no idea though so maybe @Lucky Lindy @Lempo and others can comment on the SHL, SM-liiga and other leagues.

i saw that too and it took me by surprise a bit. the khl converted their rinks years ago, but the shl may have not decided to do it.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

In Finland I think we have gone hybrid.

https://www.is.fi/sm-liiga/art-2000005968380.html

HIFK, Helsingin jäähalli: 28 x 60.
HPK, Ritari-areena: 30 x 58.
Ilves & Tappara, Hakametsän jäähalli: 28 x 60.
Jukurit, Ikioma Areena: 29 x 59.
JYP, Synergia-areena: 28 x 60.
KalPa, Niiralan Monttu: 28 x 60.
KooKoo, Lumon Areena: 30 x 60.
Kärpät, Oulu Energia-Areena: 29 x 60.
Lukko, Kivikylän Areena: 28 x 60.
Pelicans, Isku Areena: 28 x 58.
SaiPa, Kisapuiston jäähalli: 28 x 60.
Sport, Vaasa Areena: 28 x 58.
TPS, Gatorade Center: 28 x 60.
Ässät, Isomäki Areena: 28 x 58.

The new Tampere arena (for Ilves and Tappara) Uros Live has "28x60, but can be brought down to 26 m".

Because of the metric system, "international" rink on left (60 m x 30 m), NHL rink on right (61 m x 26 m):

62522debda4541bd9a91080093cf4d5b.jpg.webp

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
nhl

khl

nla <---- wat
shl

ahl
liiga

czech

del

del to me isn't very good, and is borderline in the second tier of euro leagues along with with slovakia, icehl (formerly ebel), allsvenkan, etc. i've seen way too many ahl third liners go to the del and dominate to make me thinks it's a particulary good league.

Is that the Swiss league that you have above shl and liiga? Why?

Going by CHL winners, seems pretty clear that it's SHL, Liiga, Extraliga in that order, with the Swiss a fairly distant fourth.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
i wouldn't put too much stock into short tournaments involving a relatively small number of teams when determining the overall quality of a league. i think the chl does a good job of determining which leagues have the best top teams but it's often the bottom half of the league which determines how good a league is. for instance imo liiga got worse when it expanded to fifteen teams but that's not going to be reflected in the chl. here are the top 15 euro leagues according to nhl equivalency ratings (NHL Equivalency and Prospect Projection Models: Building the NHL Equivalency Model (Part 2)):

║ KHL ║ 0.772 ║
║ Czech ║ 0.583 ║
║ SHL ║ 0.566 ║
║ NLA ║ 0.459 ║
║ Liiga ║ 0.441 ║
║ AHL ║ 0.389 ║
║ DEL ║ 0.352 ║
║ Allsvenskan ║ 0.351 ║
║ VHL ║ 0.328 ║
║ Slovakia ║ 0.295 ║
║ EBEL ║ 0.269 ║
║ France ║ 0.250 ║
║ Belarus ║ 0.242 ║
║ Czech2 ║ 0.240 ║
║ EIHL ║ 0.235 ║

so it looks like the top czech league was a lot better than i thought. you're right that i overrated the nla but this ranking still has it better than liiga. also i was right about del being pretty close to a second tier euro league.

also seeing these the rankings makes it even funnier that people on the main forum post jagr's highlights from the second czech league to try to argue that he could still play in the nhl, when the league is par when with the eihl lol.

Last edited:

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm

Atleast in Sweden, we still have 60x30m, but there have been talks about hybrid size (like Lempo said) or NHL size. But for now it is international size.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So maybe something like:

Svech-Aho-TT
UFA/Trade - Trocheck-Necas
Nino-Staal-Fast
Lorentz-Drury-Geekie
Cotton

If that's what the Canes think re: Drury (that he's ready now) and with how Geekie and Lorentz played last year, I can see why they could be moving on from McGinn, Martinook and Foegele at the salaries they'll command. Still leaves some guys like Rees, Suzuki, Bokk, Jarvis, etc.. as guys that may be able to step up mid season if things aren't working out.

I'm assuming the Canes lose Bean in the ED (or maybe Skjei), so getting resolution on Dougie post expansion draft is key.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They’ve definitely got the spin going, and with them about to let guys go while hyping Jack it definitely is starting to look like the fourth line spot is his to lose. That’s counter culture for Rod but the player is tailor made for the coach so that’ll probably be overlooked. His skating can’t look worse than Geekie’s so at least there’s that, Geekie can shoot so a playmaker will do him good. Lorentz will be carrying the load forechecking.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So maybe something like:

Svech-Aho-TT
UFA/Trade - Trocheck-Necas
Nino-Staal-Fast
Lorentz-Drury-Geekie
Cotton

If that's what the Canes think re: Drury (that he's ready now) and with how Geekie and Lorentz played last year, I can see why they could be moving on from McGinn, Martinook and Foegele at the salaries they'll command. Still leaves some guys like Rees, Suzuki, Bokk, Jarvis, etc.. as guys that may be able to step up mid season if things aren't working out.

I'm assuming the Canes lose Bean in the ED (or maybe Skjei), so getting resolution on Dougie post expansion draft is key.
I don't see a reason NOT to keep the cheaper of McGinn/Foegele to rotate with Lorentz/Geekie...or in case Drury falters and you move one of them to C in his place with McG/McL as the 4LW. Also injury insurance, should someone get injured those 2 won't hurt you to be temporarily slotted higher.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think for the 4th line, it boils down to Cotton, Lorentz, Geekie and Drury (based on the comments above). Nobody will be gifted a spot, but those 4 likely have the inside track vs. others, which makes sense based on who is in our system. Maybe Rees though as I get the feeling that they think he is eventually a Brock McGinn replacement.

Bokk, Suzuki and Jarvis won't likely be in the hunt for a 4th line spot and will likely have to wait a year when some of the other NHL guys' contracts expire to get a shot.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't see a reason NOT to keep the cheaper of McGinn/Foegele to rotate with Lorentz/Geekie...or in case Drury falters and you move one of them to C in his place with McG/McL as the 4LW. Also injury insurance, should someone get injured those 2 won't hurt you to be temporarily slotted higher.

I see a reason. It's the salary/cap that they'll take up. At a minimum, it's likely going to be $2.5-$3M to keep those guys. On the surface, that doesn't seem like much, but when trying to keep Dougie, sign Svech, upgrade the top 6, solidify the goaltending, etc....and having to worry about Necas the next season as well as Nino/Trocheck, etc... That can be an expensive insurance policy for a guy you'd plan on rotating in and out.

Second reason is I can't see Foegele or McGinn signing a contract with Carolina to simply rotate on the 4th line. McGinn as a UFA will get paid by someone. As we know, Foegele is already asking for a bigger role.

If Drury falters, there are other guys that can be tried (Cotton or Rees for instance). If that doesn't work, 4th liners are easy to acquire for cheap (look at Paquette for instance).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad