Confirmed with Link: Jack Drury signs ELC

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
One advantage Drury has being with the Wolves is that he is living back with his family in his childhood home. He's obviously excelled even when away from home at Harvard and in Sweden so it's not the reason for his success, but it has to be nice to be able to return home to you family when away from the rink. Probably a lot easier to stay focused on hockey and eat right, etc... From what I've read about him though, is he would do that anyhow.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Drury seems like he'll be ready next season. Excellent rookie AHL year, outstanding cup of tea earlier this year. Who knows, maybe he even has some playoff contribution for the big club in May.

I've become a complete cynic when it comes to any prospect we have (as recently as during his 9-game tryout I was refusing to be excited about Jarvis), but this seems as "high floor" as it gets.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It will be interesting to see how the management team handles him.

Nothing about him screams elite. All of his metrics look like a 4th line guy. He is a gamer type. When it is game time, he goes into another level. He knows where to be and when to be there. His stick is a puck magnet and he makes plays. Do we trust the eyes or the metrics?

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020

Nothing about him screams elite. All of his metrics look like a 4th line guy. He is a gamer type. When it is game time, he goes into another level. He knows where to be and when to be there. His stick is a puck magnet and he makes plays. Do we trust the eyes or the metrics?
high end 4th liner. I think the job is his to lose next year with KK slotting in as 2nd line C.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Which metrics? (not being a smart-ass, I just am not aware what metrics exist for the AHL).

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
high end 4th liner. I think the job is his to lose next year with KK slotting in as 2nd line C.
I want him on the team too.
He is the non typical Canes management pick. None of the scouting reports gave him a potential top 6 rating on the typical standards, shot, skating, speed, etc.
Do we give him the shot or do we use his higher value to acquire someone. Because 4th liners can be signed for cheap. The top 6 guys are much more expensive and harder to get.

to me, he is the replacement for Staal. Could be our Cirelli.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He could very well be another Geekie/Lorentz/Foegele/Wallmark/McGinn type, but I think he'll be a step above those guys and be at least a rock solid long term third line center. I could also see perennial 45-50 points and strong two way play from him for years to come. Definitely excited about this kid. Not sure where he fits in next year though unless Staal is gone or demoted to 4th line and Tro is gone, neither of which we are sure of.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Honestly, I thought he looked NHL ready when I saw him in the preseason and some of those early games this year. Physically, he didn't look out of place (actually looked like one of our more physical guys), and he appeared to fit right in with our style of forechecking and backchecking. My only worry was how he could hold up over the course of a season over here, and it looks like he's only getting better as the season progresses.

I would be surprised if he isn't on the NHL roster next year. I agree with the assessment he's the long term Jordo replacement. Let him roll as 4C next year with intent to eventually take over as 3C if/when Jordo retires in 2024-25.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He could very well be another Geekie/Lorentz/Foegele/Wallmark/McGinn type, but I think he'll be a step above those guys and be at least a rock solid long term third line center. I could also see perennial 45-50 points and strong two way play from him for years to come. Definitely excited about this kid. Not sure where he fits in next year though unless Staal is gone or demoted to 4th line and Tro is gone, neither of which we are sure of.

I think Drury slots in on the 4th line next year if he makes the team.

Aho
Trocheck/Kotkaniemi
Staal

As you said, Staal isn't getting demoted, but having a 4C who could provide a little more offense makes Staal more palatable at 3C.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I "hope" many are underestimating Drury. As a 20 year old, he was very successful in Sweden. He's been successful in the AHL his first season and his 2 game stint in the NHL.

I'm not sure who to compare him to in the NHL, but there are some traits which aren't measurable in him that will be the reason he succeeds, if he does.
1) He's very mature for his age in terms of how he approaches things. He doesn't need to "learn how to be a pro".
2) He works hard and does all the little things right, both on and off the ice and he's very competitive. Coaches, especially Brindy, love that.
3) He appears to have very good hockey sense. He seems to make the right play or be in the right spot time and time again.

I hated the Celtics growing up, but after reading a story about Larry Bird, I could only respect the guy. Bird said he had 3 God given talents. 1) His height. 2) His vision. 3) His court awareness. He said everything else he had was below average, and in some cases well below average. So he knew if he was going to be the best, he had to completely outwork everyone else, both during games and in practice and training. He knew that even at 6'9", he wasn't going to out jump many for a rebound so he had to make sure he was in the right spot and outwork them. He knew he wasn't going to beat someone down the floor so he had to anticipate where to be and when. He probably worked on his shooting and release more than any NBA player ever. And of course, he was hyper-competitive.

In some cases, a guy with less measurable talents can use the talents he does have and outwork others to succeed.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Do we trust the eyes or the metrics?

Yes.

Do I think he has the upside to be a top-6 F? Not really.

He's showing what I've always thought he was capable of being, without placing unrealistic expectations on him. I always thought he would be the guy that stepped into the "take the hard defensive C minutes" role post-J. Staal...albeit probably not as effectively. (Let's be honest...for all the griping we have about Jordan's hands-of-stone, he's one of the best defensive Cs in the NHL. Expecting anybody to be Jordan is unfair and unrealistic.)

What he's showing now suggests that he might be capable though of contributing some of that bottom of the roster offense we always hope for from Jordan and rarely get.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
768e3a31b45e1cb11039d8c9864b513b.gif

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I "hope" many are underestimating Drury. As a 20 year old, he was very successful in Sweden. He's been successful in the AHL his first season and his 2 game stint in the NHL.

I'm not sure who to compare him to in the NHL, but there are some traits which aren't measurable in him that will be the reason he succeeds, if he does.
1) He's very mature for his age in terms of how he approaches things. He doesn't need to "learn how to be a pro".
2) He works hard and does all the little things right, both on and off the ice and he's very competitive. Coaches, especially Brindy, love that.
3) He appears to have very good hockey sense. He seems to make the right play or be in the right spot time and time again.

I hated the Celtics growing up, but after reading a story about Larry Bird, I could only respect the guy. Bird said he had 3 God given talents. 1) His height. 2) His vision. 3) His court awareness. He said everything else he had was below average, and in some cases well below average. So he knew if he was going to be the best, he had to completely outwork everyone else, both during games and in practice and training. He knew that even at 6'9", he wasn't going to out jump many for a rebound so he had to make sure he was in the right spot and outwork them. He knew he wasn't going to beat someone down the floor so he had to anticipate where to be and when. He probably worked on his shooting and release more than any NBA player ever. And of course, he was hyper-competitive.

In some cases, a guy with less measurable talents can use the talents he does have and outwork others to succeed.
High side, he could be cirelli-esque. Low side he is Geekie.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And one guy saying he’ll be the Larry Bird of hockey…

Nah, just using the hard work to overcome lesser natural skills example.

It was a no-win though. I almost put a disclaimer that "I'm not suggesting he'll be one of the best like bird", but then Minjaben would have commented about me being a king of disclaimers so I left it open for someone like you to make the "Larry Bird of hockey" comment.

Oh well.

EDIT: Sticking with the Celtics, maybe Danny Ainge is a better example.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've been quite high on him all along, and I still say he'll be a good second liner in the NHL at his best. And I think he will be one of those guys that is very important and valuable even at that ceiling. It'll take him a little time to adjust at the next level most likely, but he's shown to be quite good at doing that every step up so far. Frankly, I don't care what glasses I'm wearing when I say that. He's made my thoughts look pretty good every step of the way so far.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
In my limited viewing I see him as a baby Toews.

2 way play....intangibles....his offense is hard to project but 40-60 pt prime seems in reason.

We'd be very happy if that's where he ends up.

Everything I hear about him I wouldn't be surprised if he wears an A for the club one day.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad