Confirmed with Link: Jack Drury signs ELC

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yes. He said similar things about Harvarder Adam Fox, though, even if they weren't as definitive.

Did Tripp have any kind of close personal relationship with Fox?

And Drury wasn't in a position where it made almost no sense for him to sign here (Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk, TVR, McKeown). Until I hear something definitive from an inside source instead of fan speculation (no matter how widespread), that's a hill I'll keep defending, even if there are very few other fans on it, lol.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I was legitimately worried about him testing the UFA waters after next season, though when the news broke last week that he was going to North America next season instead of re upping with his SHL team that was a big indicator this was coming soon.

He might start in the A next season but I'd bet he's a regular by January. One of our more underrated guys because he doesn't play a sexy game stylistically. Likely our heir apparent for Jordo.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I was legitimately worried about him testing the UFA waters after next season, though when the news broke last week that he was going to North America next season instead of re upping with his SHL team that was a big indicator this was coming soon.

He might start in the A next season but I'd bet he's a regular by January. One of our more underrated guys because he doesn't play a sexy game stylistically. Likely our heir apparent for Jordo.

Except probably more of a Brandon Sutter-level player.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Good.

This was the prospect I thought they really needed to get signed this summer. As much as RBA seems to prefer vets, I’d be surprised if Drury doesn’t at least get a few games at the beginning of next season. To be honest, I’m already pencilling him in the lineup, but that could be a hot take in a few months…

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Good.

This was the prospect I thought they really needed to get signed this summer. As much as RBA seems to prefer vets, I’d be surprised if Drury doesn’t at least get a few games at the beginning of next season. To be honest, I’m already pencilling him in the lineup, but that could be a hot take in a few months…

If they sign Dougie, it may be that they end up letting the lion's share of the bottom 6 group walk.

In that case, maybe we do pencil in an ELC. Your Rutherford/Francis era "2 of these 5 guys are bound to be ready and win a spot in camp, right?"

Geekie may have the inside track though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It's not the best opportunity in the league for him. To be a Top 9 center on this club anytime soon, Trocheck will have to go, Necas will have to stay on the wing and he'll have to outplay Suzuki.
I have a feeling he starts on the wing as he works his way up the lineup. Tends to be a preference of Rod so far outside of Geekie

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's not the best opportunity in the league for him. To be a Top 9 center on this club anytime soon, Trocheck will have to go, Necas will have to stay on the wing and he'll have to outplay Suzuki.
Meh, I don’t think he and Suzuki are fighting for the same role and Rod will take Drury over Suzuki every day of the week if they are for some reason. Necas is likely a wing. Staal will be in his way for advancement but if we really like Jack at center that fourth line is his relatively soon, maybe even this year if we like Lorentz on wing and don’t bring anyone in.

Every time someone gets hurt he’ll get bumped up. Even if he does stay in the minors awhile he’s the type of player that’ll get a call up for injuries too.

Dave’s right about the possibility of him being on wing anyways.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
If they sign Dougie, it may be that they end up letting the lion's share of the bottom 6 group walk.

In that case, maybe we do pencil in an ELC. Your Rutherford/Francis era "2 of these 5 guys are bound to be ready and win a spot in camp, right?"

Geekie may have the inside track though.

Could be, but under different circumstances? In the Rutherford / Francis era they may not have had too much choice but to hope that a couple yutes could hold down a spot (and the yutes were a lot more questionable). Hopefully the Canes are getting to the point where it's a developmental strategy. And that they've got a lot more fall back options in case the first choices don't quite work out, as well as more rope to play with while they see how things play out.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Stoked Drury has signed with us. He’s got a lot of promise.

Also just want to point out. But to Fox’s credit he probably made the right career move to head to the Rangers. I don’t think Fox becomes close to a Norris winner this year if he’s a Cane. He likely would of been sheltered behind Hamilton & Pesce to start his career, never getting enough ice time to truly shine.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Stoked Drury has signed with us. He’s got a lot of promise.

Also just want to point out. But to Fox’s credit he probably made the right career move to head to the Rangers. I don’t think Fox becomes close to a Norris winner this year if he’s a Cane. He likely would of been sheltered behind Hamilton & Pesce to start his career, never getting enough ice time to truly shine.

Probable. But there was also a good 2 months last year that Dougie was hurt where Fox would've been the clear PP1 dman. Who knows what he might've done to take the reigns there.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think somewhere in between one to two years before he’s a regular. I’m assuming we bring in some help for the bottoms six so we don’t rush guys like this but we don’t have enough track record with this regime to know for sure yet. I don’t believe they assume he’s ready and he’s definitely the type of prospect that could be helped by time in the minors but if he doesn’t have competition you never know.

Couple of things.....

1. Drury played a full season with men this year. The quality of hockey in the SHL is easily as good or likely better than in the AHL. Sure, he's back on smaller ice and back in leagues where pure physicality comes to play most nights. Still, he was a driver for Vaxjo and easily outperformed expectations.

2. To me this smells like planning for losing some guys in transactions. Geekie and the oft mentioned Foegele could be on the move which would put Drury potentially (depending on camp and early season performance) as an AHL/NHL tweener as early as this season.

Now I hope we don't lose Geekie as I think he's an interesting piece if he can get a full NHL season under his belt. Right shot center and all.....still, we could easily be having conversations with Seattle that involve Geeks and Foegs. Who knows.....

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Meh, I don’t think he and Suzuki are fighting for the same role and Rod will take Drury over Suzuki every day of the week if they are for some reason. Necas is likely a wing. Staal will be in his way for advancement but if we really like Jack at center that fourth line is his relatively soon, maybe even this year if we like Lorentz on wing and don’t bring anyone in.

Every time someone gets hurt he’ll get bumped up. Even if he does stay in the minors awhile he’s the type of player that’ll get a call up for injuries too.

Dave’s right about the possibility of him being on wing anyways.

That was a sub reply to @LakeLivin refuting the comparison to Fox from an opportunity perspective.

Aho and Staal are entrenched as top scoring line and matchup center respectively. That leaves the other scoring line. That's where Trocheck is now. That's where Necas may be if he leaves; I don't think the door should be shut on him making that transition. That's where Suzuki projects to play if he develops as a center.

My point is that Drury could have gone elsewhere and had a clearer path to the minutes that make the big bucks early. His camp obviously thought that waiting around wasn't worth it. He may not be a prospect the caliber that would motivate a team to give him an immediate Top 9 NHL role.

Good for the team. It makes it easier to stomach trading a forward prospect for NHL help now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
tenor.gif

Pleasant surprise. Glad I was wrong here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad