Confirmed with Link: Jack Drury signs ELC

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Stoked Drury has signed with us. He’s got a lot of promise.

Also just want to point out. But to Fox’s credit he probably made the right career move to head to the Rangers. I don’t think Fox becomes close to a Norris winner this year if he’s a Cane. He likely would of been sheltered behind Hamilton & Pesce to start his career, never getting enough ice time to truly shine.
You are most likely correct, and those who think that Bean is trending toward bust after this past year would be wise to listen. Just sayin....

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Let's say that Ron Francis and his scouts have prepped all year and they are obsessed with Jack Drury. Maybe that is unlikely, however the group in Seattle did pick him and have likely been watching the SHL closely all year.

Would an expansion draft selected Dumba for Drury interest Waddell? I'm not so sure, Drury fits this roster very well right when they need ELC contributors. What if Seattle took Gardiner in the expansion draft too? Spicier.

Like you say, Drury really seems to be too good a fit, so I don’t think they’d entertain any side deal with Francis where they’d have to give him up.

However; if you could entice Francis to take on Gardiner for say Foegele + Bokk, that’s an easy yes.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Let's say that Ron Francis and his scouts have prepped all year and they are obsessed with Jack Drury. Maybe that is unlikely, however the group in Seattle did pick him and have likely been watching the SHL closely all year.

Would an expansion draft selected Dumba for Drury interest Waddell? I'm not so sure, Drury fits this roster very well right when they need ELC contributors. What if Seattle took Gardiner in the expansion draft too? Spicier.

How does Drury compare to 26OA in value? It should take an asset of that caliber and a kicker(s) to get him a la Muzzin. Forget Gardiner.

While it doesn't sound realistic, they did sign Priskie as a free agent and proceeded to deal him at the deadline. Anything is possible.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think there’s a good chance we refuse to pay Francis anything and just roll with what happens. We need the next wave of youth to start coming along as internal growth likely plays a huge part in our next step so I doubt Drury goes anywhere as he’s the closest prospect in terms of making this team maybe even over Jarvis.

Drury I’m sure is someone Seattle is interested in though.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They just put out a 7min Zoom interview for a prospect signing:

I’d say that says a whole heck of a lot about how they feel about the guy and his future with the team. If I recall correctly from the 2018 Burnside “Canes at the draft” article, there was a quote from Darren Yorke saying that Drury was f***ing captain material, or something to that effect.

I think regardless of which scouts pushed for him to be drafted, the old and current regime guys both loved the kid.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
That was a sub reply to @LakeLivin refuting the comparison to Fox from an opportunity perspective.

Aho and Staal are entrenched as top scoring line and matchup center respectively. That leaves the other scoring line. That's where Trocheck is now. That's where Necas may be if he leaves; I don't think the door should be shut on him making that transition. That's where Suzuki projects to play if he develops as a center.

My point is that Drury could have gone elsewhere and had a clearer path to the minutes that make the big bucks early. His camp obviously thought that waiting around wasn't worth it. He may not be a prospect the caliber that would motivate a team to give him an immediate Top 9 NHL role.

Good for the team. It makes it easier to stomach trading a forward prospect for NHL help now.

I certainly won't argue that Drury may have had a clearer NHL path elsewhere, but I still maintain that his path with the Canes right now is very different from what Fox was looking at back then. At the time Fox made his decision, at least on paper there wasn't an even an apparent spot on the team for him, let alone as a starter. This wasn't Norris winner Adam Fox, this was a promising college player with no pro experience. On the right side the Canes had Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, and TVR, all young, all experienced, with 3 of them being legitimate at least 2nd pair NHL defensemen.

Drury on the other hand could potentially be competing for a 4th line spot right away. Trochek's contract is up next year and depending on what happens with the a bunch of other players (Dougie, Svech, Necas, goalies) the Canes might not be able to afford to extend him (or even want to if his play regresses). Staal is going to turn 33 years old in 2 months and his contract expires the season after next; is there an opportunity in the not too distant future for someone like Drury to slide into the role Staal currently occupies when he slows down (Drury will still only be 23 yo when Stall is 35)? I agree there's a chance that Necas could at some point move back to center but if that happens I don't see Drury competing with him for the same spot (Necas 2nd line, Drury bottom 6).

As an aside: you point out that Drury's camp obviously thought that waiting around wasn't worth it. One factor that might have contributed a bit to his decision is how promising the Canes look with respect to competing for a Cup. Kid might rather have faced tougher competition to make it with a (hopefully) perennial Cup contender than an easier route with one of the leagues bottom dwellers. Don't know how many would have viewed the Canes quite in that light back in early 2019.

edit: just read this back and I'll lay off more commentary on Fox's signing for a while, lol. I've made my views known and I'm just beating a dead horse at this point. Sorry about that, folks!
:deadhorse

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think there was never any indication that Drury wasnt going to sign and all of this analysis into what his side was thinking is a bit irrelevant. He was likely happy to be drafted by us and has been looking forward to competing for a spot the whole time. He likely left college because we told him he has a contract waiting for him as soon as the leagues reopen for a full season. I dont think he went to Sweden to improve his contract options, only to play somewhere for a year since he was turning pro anyways.

There was smoke around Fox for a long time. There never was any around Drury.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Initial intel on his ELC reports.a max ELC with no Performance Bonuses.

I'm quite certain there will be an update. No way in hell they signed him without Performance Bonuses. Must be max Schedule A bonus.

And though it's no Canes MO, I wouldn't rule out there being a Schedule B pefrformance bonus to entice him to sign. He could have waited a year to sign a 2 year ELC with the highest bidder and become RFA in 2024 all the same.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I certainly won't argue that Drury may have had a clearer NHL path elsewhere, but I still maintain that his path with the Canes right now is very different from what Fox was looking at back then. At the time Fox made his decision, at least on paper there wasn't an even an apparent spot on the team for him, let alone as a starter. This wasn't Norris winner Adam Fox, this was a promising college player with no pro experience. On the right side the Canes had Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, and TVR, all young, all experienced, with 3 of them being legitimate at least 2nd pair NHL defensemen.

Drury on the other hand could potentially be competing for a 4th line spot right away. Trochek's contract is up next year and depending on what happens with the a bunch of other players (Dougie, Svech, Necas, goalies) the Canes might not be able to afford to extend him (or even want to if his play regresses). Staal is going to turn 33 years old in 2 months and his contract expires the season after next; is there an opportunity in the not too distant future for someone like Drury to slide into the role Staal currently occupies when he slows down (Drury will still only be 23 yo when Stall is 35)? I agree there's a chance that Necas could at some point move back to center but if that happens I don't see Drury competing with him for the same spot (Necas 2nd line, Drury bottom 6).

As an aside: you point out that Drury's camp obviously thought that waiting around wasn't worth it. One factor that might have contributed a bit to his decision is how promising the Canes look with respect to competing for a Cup. Kid might rather have faced tougher competition to make it with a (hopefully) perennial Cup contender than an easier route with one of the leagues bottom dwellers. Don't know how many would have viewed the Canes quite in that light back in early 2019.

edit: just read this back and I'll lay off more commentary on Fox's signing for a while, lol. I've made my views known and I'm just beating a dead horse at this point. Sorry about that, folks!
:deadhorse

Pesce had just played really well on off-side over a pretty decent sample. Hamilton had not been given the keys to PP1. Faulk had 1 year left on his contract and they had just passed on own-renting Skinner. van Riemsdyk wasn't stiff competition for a 3rd pairing role coming off a major injury.

There was short-term opportunity for him. I'm sure the same type of projection being made with Drury here, complete with the team competitiveness selling point, was made by Fox's camp and maybe even communicated by the team itself. Hell, the team had the ability to burn a year off of his ELC so that he would be starting his 2nd contract this coming season.

Most likely, he wanted to be a Ranger.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
FWIW, in the call he explicitly said that he had been planning to go back to Harvard but went pro when it became clear that there wasn't going to be a season due to COVID, and he wanted to play. Says he went with Europe because he wanted to work on his skating and thought the big ice would help with that.

Anyway, he strikes me as a smart and thoughtful guy. Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to make waves and cheat the system, and seems excited about playing for Brindy on top of that.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Initial intel on his ELC reports.a max ELC with no Performance Bonuses.

I'm quite certain there will be an update. No way in hell they signed him without Performance Bonuses. Must be max Schedule A bonus.

And though it's no Canes MO, I wouldn't rule out there being a Schedule B pefrformance bonus to entice him to sign. He could have waited a year to sign a 2 year ELC with the highest bidder and become RFA in 2024 all the same.
yeah there's no way he got no bonuses whatsoever. however, aho is the only second round pick we've ever given max schedule A bonuses to IIRC. i don't know if drury's ufa leverage would be enough to get him max schedule A bonuses. in any case, i'm sure capfriendly will have an update within a few days.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hell, the team had the ability to burn a year off of his ELC so that he would be starting his 2nd contract this coming season.
This is where I am obligated to note that burning a year of the ELC is a bit of a poison pill for the player, because going that route he won't have enough seasons to qualify as a RFA when his ELC expires, and thusly can be signed to a new SPC only by his own team, so he has no leverage from the threat of an offre hostile that the RFAs have.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pesce had just played really well on off-side over a pretty decent sample. Hamilton had not been given the keys to PP1. Faulk had 1 year left on his contract and they had just passed on own-renting Skinner. van Riemsdyk wasn't stiff competition for a 3rd pairing role coming off a major injury.

There was short-term opportunity for him. I'm sure the same type of projection being made with Drury here, complete with the team competitiveness selling point, was made by Fox's camp and maybe even communicated by the team itself. Hell, the team had the ability to burn a year off of his ELC so that he would be starting his 2nd contract this coming season.

Most likely, he wanted to be a Ranger.
He just wanted to be a Ranger. That was the rumor about him from the get go. We never were in the running. It didn’t matter who we had on defense. What’s happened since to our defense is a common occurrence. You never plan your future based on what a team looks like now.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
FWIW, in the call he explicitly said that he had been planning to go back to Harvard but went pro when it became clear that there wasn't going to be a season due to COVID, and he wanted to play. Says he went with Europe because he wanted to work on his skating and thought the big ice would help with that.

Anyway, he strikes me as a smart and thoughtful guy. Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to make waves and cheat the system, and seems excited about playing for Brindy on top of that.
Bingo. And good for him to acknowledge his biggest weakness and work on it the best way possible. Good for his hands there too.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
yeah there's no way he got no bonuses whatsoever. however, aho is the only second round pick we've ever given max schedule A bonuses to IIRC. i don't know if drury's ufa leverage would be enough to get him max schedule A bonuses. in any case, i'm sure capfriendly will have an update within a few days.
I'll stake my claim here and call that he will have max Schedule A on years 2 and 3 at least. Might go bonusless on year 1 on expectation that he'll do some time in AHL and wouldn't get it anyway.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This is where I am obligated to note that burning a year of the ELC is a bit of a poison pill for the player, because going that route he won't have enough seasons to qualify as a RFA when his ELC expires, and thusly can be signed to a new SPC only by his own team, so he has no leverage from the threat of an offre hostile that the RFAs have.

In a hypothetical scenario in which he signed with the team and performed, he'd be making significantly more money next season than he'll be making as a Ranger (~$1.78 if he maxes out his bonuses).

For fear of damaging a relationship, teams generally won't attempt to screw over a good young player like that.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
In a hypothetical scenario in which he signed with the team and performed, he'd be making significantly more money next season than he'll be making as a Ranger (~$1.78 if he maxes out his bonuses).

For fear of damaging a relationship, teams generally won't attempt to screw over a good young player like that.
Yes on both counts. Though, Johnny Gaudreau reportedly was not at all happy how the things turned out in his case (6 x 6.75M, of which only a part was paid as signing bonus only in years 1 and 5). Some may feel that is getting screwed over when compared to actual RFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad