Jack, Dahlin, Reinhart vs Matthews, Marner, Rielly

Best going forward.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Before last season nobody knew how to spell rielly. You talk as if its Karlsson or doughty. Dahlin will put this conversation to an end pretty swiftly.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
So Sabre fans can say Dahlin will be 100% better than Rielly but as soon as a Leafs fan suggests Auston Matthews could one day reach MacKinnon level HF goes nuts
To be fair a few Sabres fans have said the same about Eichel when comparing him to Mackinnon and been put down despite Mack not having that great of a start to his career either.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Weird results, dahlin and Eichel is easily one of the most lethal duos in the league going forward. If not the most lethal.

How on earth is this so lopsided?

Reilly is great but so is Reinhart.

If you’re starting a team, would any of you actually take Marner and Matthews over Eichel and dahlin? Talent wise it’s not that far but position wise, which is what this is asking...I mean this should be 50-50 at worst for the buffalo trio but hey....

Cotton

May 13, 2013
at this point i'd take Rielly at what he is rather than gamble on Dahlin. Especially when Marner and Matthews are both better than Eichel and Reinhart. Dahlin could very well surpass Rielly this year but i don't think he'll surpass him by a large enough margin to choose the Buffalo trio.
Reilly put up 20 goals and was almost a ppg last year. Most d men rarely put up those numbers in their career.

I feel the same, it's tough to project though. Right now Dahlin is getting 18 minutes a game with 66% OZone starts, Rielly around 25 minutes and 50/50. Its hard to project what will happen when Dahlin starts facing tougher comp.

Dahlin might be the right choice but I would probably stick with what I know. The rest is easy;

Matthews>Eichel
Marner>Reinhart

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Eichel=Matthews (maybe Matthews is slightly ahead right now but Eichel will close this gap quickly)
Dahlin>>>Rielly (It's already Dahlin>Rielly, and the gap will only get bigger as Dahlin proves to be a top 3 dman in the league as early as next season)
Reinhart<<<<<<<<Marner (lol)

Usually I'd be more inclined to take the team with the best player (I think that will end up being Dahlin), but the gap between Marner and Reinhart may be too big here.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
So Sabre fans can say Dahlin will be 100% better than Rielly but as soon as a Leafs fan suggests Auston Matthews could one day reach MacKinnon level HF goes nuts

Because Mackinnon is a Hart caliber player and Rielly isn't close to one. Dahlin is a far far far better player at his age than Rielly ever was, and is already better than Rielly now.

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
Weird results, dahlin and Eichel is easily one of the most lethal duos in the league going forward. If not the most lethal.

If you’re starting a team, would any of you actually take Marner and Matthews over Eichel and dahlin? Talent wise it’s not that far but position wise, which is what this is asking...I mean this should be 50-50 at worst for the buffalo trio but hey....
it's lopsided because many people believe marner is far superior to reinhart, and for good reason

Cotton

May 13, 2013

With Matthews and Marner isolated its an even bigger gap, common now.

Matthews .97 p/pg
Marner .93 p/pg
Eichel .92 p/pg
Nylander .68 p/pg
Reinhart .63 p/pg

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

I think people take issue when you guys say Matthews is already better than MacKinnon, not when you say he could be better long term.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
With Matthews and Marner isolated its an even bigger gap, common now.

Matthews .97 p/pg
Marner .93 p/pg
Eichel .92 p/pg
Nylander .68 p/pg
Reinhart .63 p/pg

That doesent take into account what I asked which was if starting a team and by position, What does nylander have to do with anything? PPG is one of the best things to go with but it doesent tell the whole story. Situational production is huge and f your not watching a team it can easily change how
You perceive people. Marner is elite but as a winger has less responsibility and gets to play with a center who gave Lee two40 goal seasons and made Bailey bear PPG. Can’t say those two are the same without J.T. Just like Marner isn’t better then Eichel despite being 0.1 PPG in career better he has John Tavares. Tavares went up by two points from anders Lee to Marner, Marner went up twenty points. Marner also didn’t have to play his draft year so you’re comparing less of a sample size which helps him not only improve his percentage but helped him develop.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't think the outcry is about stating Matthews could one day reach MacKinnon level. HF goes nuts when Leaf fans say Matthews is CURRENTLY as good or better than MacKinnon because of "rate" stats.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
As a Sabres fan I painfully will take the Leafs trio here. Marner v Reinhart tips the scales towards Toronto's favor.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Tough call.
Best will be Dahlin and worst will be Reinhart imo.
I’d take the Sabres trio because I think a clear number one D is the most important piece to build around. Rielly brings good offense but he’s pretty weak defensively so he just can’t bring the same level as Dahlin.

Show your work vs. Dahlin.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Because Mackinnon is a Hart caliber player and Rielly isn't close to one. Dahlin is a far far far better player at his age than Rielly ever was, and is already better than Rielly now.

And Matthews was a far far better player than mackinnon in his first 3 seasons.

In fact Matthews could literally stop playing for 2 years and have the same amount of goals as Mack.

Can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: Sundinisagod
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Eichel=Matthews (maybe Matthews is slightly ahead right now but Eichel will close this gap quickly)
Dahlin>>>Rielly (It's already Dahlin>Rielly, and the gap will only get bigger as Dahlin proves to be a top 3 dman in the league as early as next season)
Reinhart<<<<<<<<Marner (lol)

Usually I'd be more inclined to take the team with the best player (I think that will end up being Dahlin), but the gap between Marner and Reinhart may be too big here.

Why will Eichel close the gap to the younger Matthews?

Dahlin is not currently better than Rielly.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
im honestly surprised that the leafs are sub 70% despite having the best 2 players in the poll

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd rank em:

Matthews
Dahlin
Marner
Eichel
Rielly
Reinhart

I'd take the Leafs trio. Rielly is still a great dman and I prefer the Leafs forwards.

I'd have it similar. I feel there should be a space after Rielly though and then Reinhart, because like a guy like Nylander he doesnt belong in the poll. Just not even close to the level of the others

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018

Well one trio has gone to the playoffs while the others done absolutely nothing. Dahlin is all hype same with Eichel although he's starting to reach his potential and Reinhart is well, average like Nylander.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Thinking about it, since this is the next 10 years we are talking about, how can anyone pick toronto?

Reilly is 25 and Dahlin is 19. Enjoy your 30yr old player while we have a 24 year old Norris stud.

Brent Burns is 34 and just had 83pts. He didnt even have a 70pt season like rielly did until he was 31

Enjoy having a 1C that isnt as good as torontos top 2 C and enjoy having your best winger that wouldnt even crack torontos top 6

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
That doesent take into account what I asked which was if starting a team and by position, What does nylander have to do with anything? PPG is one of the best things to go with but it doesent tell the whole story. Situational production is huge and f your not watching a team it can easily change how
You perceive people. Marner is elite but as a winger has less responsibility and gets to play with a center who gave Lee two40 goal seasons and made Bailey bear PPG. Can’t say those two are the same without J.T. Just like Marner isn’t better then Eichel despite being 0.1 PPG in career better he has John Tavares. Tavares went up by two points from anders Lee to Marner, Marner went up twenty points. Marner also didn’t have to play his draft year so you’re comparing less of a sample size which helps him not only improve his percentage but helped him develop.

Buddy Marner's ppg with Kadri in 2017 before Tavares came is around the same ppg he had last season. Once he got away from Bozak/JVR his career took off. I don't understand, does Marner need to put up 90 points with Nick Shore for his points to be valid?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Thinking about it, since this is the next 10 years we are talking about, how can anyone pick toronto?

Reilly is 25 and Dahlin is 19. Enjoy your 30yr old player while we have a 24 year old Norris stud.

Yupp and by that time Buffalo still won't even be making the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->