Its so clear we have to get some grindyness (toughness and thugness)

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Out hitting is one thing. Winning puck battles, willing to take a hit to make a play is another. Dubas has cornered himself cap wise and skill wise. Will be hard to change the chemistry of this team now. It is full steam ahead with most of these players.
Thank goodness!
The louder the dinasours roar, the more parade planning we need!
It's all analytics all the time!

Now, is our coach a stats guy? He seems to like the most useless, fluke based plus minus stat. Suggests he is not a stats guy.

Penalty minutes are good, eh? A strong positive, eh? Happy with the Leafs being in the box during last night's overtime loss? Want that to happen in the playoffs? Do you not understand that the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams is pursuing a US TV deal and any Patrick O'Thuggo type playing by the Leafs will result in penalties?

The league has moved to an entertaining style. Watch MMA if you want fighting. Fighting is going to be weird soon in the AAUSIHT.

This is the golden age of Leafs management- we have an analytics department! Excel Spreadsheets! Leaping to 1993 right here right now! - and thus we are going to Ivan Svensky. And for this, Leafs Nation complains, and listen to old Leafs philosophers like Moron Man and the Ballard glory days

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Thank goodness!

Now, is our coach a stats guy? He seems to like the most useless, fluke based plus minus stat. Suggests he is not a stats guy.

Penalty minutes are good, eh? A strong positive, eh? Happy with the Leafs being in the box during last night's overtime loss? Want that to happen in the playoffs? Do you not understand that the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams is pursuing a US TV deal and any Patrick O'Thuggo type playing by the Leafs will result in penalties?

The league has moved to an entertaining style. Watch MMA if you want fighting. Fighting is going to be weird soon in the AAUSIHT.

This is the golden age of Leafs management- we have an analytics department! Excel Spreadsheets! Leaping to 1993 right here right now! - and thus we are going to Ivan Svensky. And for this, Leafs Nation complains, and listen to old Leafs philosophers like Moron Man and the Ballard glory days

Golden Age. Lmfao

These dumbasses can hardly win a game, let alone a championship. Forget about golden age, this team is in the stone age

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kyle Clifford thoughts, big guy who can play

Clutterbuck and Wilson would be the type of players they should look for.

Folks forget that guys like Reaves played extensively in rounds 3 and 4 of the final when VGK were in. As did Wilson.

Something to be said.

Reactions: Duffman955

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Guys that can light you up and skate and play are extremely rare to find in hockey today. We are not training kids like that any more. It is all about skating and skill coaches and off ice training. I was at a bantam AAA practice the other day watching a friends kid and there was not a single hit all practice long. It is not my cup of tea but that is reality of what is going on now.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Before they play with more toughness, they need to each remove their head from their ass and play smarter.

horner

May 22, 2007
Thank goodness!

you don't need to beat the shit out someone but stand up do something.
our star players are going be targeted all yr if we don't.
the league hasn't changed that much
the last 3 games
Barrie got hammered twice
Mathews got clipped at the Blueline
Muzzin got hit last night - out for how long we don't know.
good Mathews and Barrie are ok.
the only thing the NHL did was take away fighting not the rats.
you need someone to say to those idiot you go after out stars we will run yours.
it's still a man's game.
not powder puff hockey.
wonder why we don't do well against the good teams.
they have those type of players.
the islanders are 7-0 with a 3rd line I would die for .
they hit anything moving.
Washington had a tough team then this summer added two more

has the game changed that much
I don't think so

except in toronto

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
you don't need to beat the **** out someone but stand up do something.
our star players are going be targeted all yr if we don't.
the league hasn't changed that much
the last 3 games
Barrie got hammered twice
Mathews got clipped at the Blueline
Muzzin got hit last night - out for how long we don't know.
good Mathews and Barrie are ok.
the only thing the NHL did was take away fighting not the rats.
you need someone to say to those idiot you go after out stars we will run yours.
it's still a man's game.
not powder puff hockey.
wonder why we don't do well against the good teams.
they have those type of players.
the islanders are 7-0 with a 3rd line I would die for .
they hit anything moving.
Washington had a tough team then this summer added two more

has the game changed that much
I don't think so

except in toronto
Very well said
I couldn’t agree more, I played the game and I played bigger if I had a Wilson or Reeves backing me.

it’s not Tampa we need to emulate, it’s the Capitals last night with their mixture of muscle and skill, but mostly their physicality -with Backstrom even belting Leafs.

it was downright embarrassing, you could see the Capitals enjoying it, hitting our softies at every opportunity. Imagine playing that team in the playoffs, we’d lose a Muzzin and almost a Barrie and Matthews every game. Who’d be left? Sure the Leafs actually responded, if you call Gauthier love hug on Wilson a response. And how appropriate that Dermott ends up replacing Muzzin, Dermott who was hit from behind and badly injured, without any response from teammates.

all in all, Ovechkin’s comments we’re dead on, the Leafs need badly to pay the price individually for the better of the team. How helpless a feeling to see Matthews abused, that should never happen.

I love my Leafs and I hope I’m wrong and happy to eat my words. I’ll be watching every minute faithfully, hoping that the Dubas model is the way to go, that we are leading the charge, ahead of the pack in going for speed and skill above all.

But I can still dream of a Reeves, a Wilson....

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Folks forget that guys like Reaves played extensively in rounds 3 and 4 of the final when VGK were in. As did Wilson.

Something to be said.
Well that's simply not true, at all. Reaves played 10 of Vegas' 20 playoff games in the cup run and in those 10 games averaged 8 minutes a game. Tom Wilson is 10 times the player Reaves is, I'm not sure how those two are comparable. Reaves is a face puncher and nothing more.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Well that's simply not true, at all. Reaves played 10 of Vegas' 20 playoff games in the cup run and in those 10 games averaged 8 minutes a game. Tom Wilson is 10 times the player Reaves is, I'm not sure how those two are comparable. Reaves is a face puncher and nothing more.

9 of the 10 games were in the 3rd and Final rounds of the playoffs.

When I say “extensively played in rounds 3 and 4 of the playoffs “ I mean 9 of 10 games.

So let’s call this true

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Dubas needs to make a strong push for Evander Kane. Nylander, Timmy L, Bracco for him. You get this guy you add 30+ goals and your team stands about 10 feet taller.

San Jose is probably looking to shake it up a bit.

Reactions: Lilou

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Something to be said.

Wha? Reaves had over 10 minutes of ice time once (10:05) in the 9 games of those two series .. And didn't play in game 5 of the finals.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
9 of the 10 games were in the 3rd and Final rounds of the playoffs.

When I say “extensively played in rounds 3 and 4 of the playoffs “ I mean 9 of 10 games.

So let’s call this true
And played minimal minutes. He wasnt some key piece for them to make it to the finals.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
The team needs more internal fortitude from the top end guys that's what's clear... The 3rd and 4th lines and the depth guys is what's been carrying the load this season and so many on here what to replace them? :help:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
And played minimal minutes. He wasnt some key piece for them to make it to the finals.

Of course he wasn’t a key piece. He was a role player. Who enabled the key players to perform.

He made 2.7M against the cap. By definition , a contributor not a star.

Reactions: Cobra777

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I think we don't need a ton of toughness. Just one LW who is tough but can play with Matthews and is responsible enough to play those minutes. Then the make up of the team would have more balance.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
9 of 10 games is “extensively”... isn’t it?

Depends on how you want to argue semantics. But less than 10 minutes of ice time doesn't exactly scream extensive use to me. Seems more like he was a depth player that was used sparingly.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Of course he wasn’t a key piece. He was a role player. Who enabled the key players to perform.

He made 2.7M against the cap. By definition , a contributor not a star.
So does that team not make it that far without him? Because they already made it far with him not in the lineup. 8 minutes a game isn't "extensive" at all. I'm not sure how theres a connection to him being in the lineup who helped to enable other players. They'd already done it without him. I want the Leafs to get bigger and play with more jam but what's needed is a Wilson or a prime Simmonds/Lucic type. Those guys can play in the top 6. Guys like Reaves are a dime a dozen.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Depends on how you want to argue semantics. But less than 10 minutes of ice time doesn't exactly scream extensive use to me. Seems more like he was a depth player that was used sparingly.

Sure. But better than the press box.. where Babcock put him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad