Its so clear we have to get some grindyness (toughness and thugness)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So does that team not make it that far without him? Because they already made it far with him not in the lineup. 8 minutes a game isn't "extensive" at all. I'm not sure how theres a connection to him being in the lineup who helped to enable other players. They'd already done it without him. I want the Leafs to get bigger and play with more jam but what's needed is a Wilson or a prime Simmonds/Lucic type. Those guys can play in the top 6. Guys like Reaves are a dime a dozen.

Confidence.

I don’t disagree with the type of player you want. I don’t necessarily think we need a Colton Orr again.

That said it would be an improvement but even then Babcock wouldn’t play him.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This team is going down fast and they need to remedy it first before it's too late, they have to find some solution. Team with so much talent look so awful on the ice. This team is close to .500 and if you take out those points in the OT losses, the team is sub .500. I can understand this could just be a slow start but the way they are playing is so hopeless. Babcock should turn it around fast or hit the market for next employment. This team can not afford to lose further ground, it's a tough division to be in that situation. If we can not win with all this talent then what else to say

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra777

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I would honestly be okay if they just filled out the edges of you roster with more gritty guys (4th line RW, 3Rd Pair RHD). They just need some players who have the physical push back for when teams want to bully the leafs. The leafs are by no means a “small” team, it’s more the mentality of the team. A few guys could help contribute to that.

I like Josh Brown from Florida as a big, mean lower pairing guy.
In terms of up front, someone like Sabourin but with more NHL experience and frankly better (Maybe call up G. Wilson)

horner

May 22, 2007
Very well said
I couldn’t agree more, I played the game and I played bigger if I had a Wilson or Reeves backing me.

it’s not Tampa we need to emulate, it’s the Capitals last night with their mixture of muscle and skill, but mostly their physicality -with Backstrom even belting Leafs.

it was downright embarrassing, you could see the Capitals enjoying it, hitting our softies at every opportunity. Imagine playing that team in the playoffs, we’d lose a Muzzin and almost a Barrie and Matthews every game. Who’d be left? Sure the Leafs actually responded, if you call Gauthier love hug on Wilson a response. And how appropriate that Dermott ends up replacing Muzzin, Dermott who was hit from behind and badly injured, without any response from teammates.

all in all, Ovechkin’s comments we’re dead on, the Leafs need badly to pay the price individually for the better of the team. How helpless a feeling to see Matthews abused, that should never happen.

I love my Leafs and I hope I’m wrong and happy to eat my words. I’ll be watching every minute faithfully, hoping that the Dubas model is the way to go, that we are leading the charge, ahead of the pack in going for speed and skill above all.

But I can still dream of a Reeves, a Wilson....
Mathews like Crosby and other stars has to start taking care of himself as well.
If he doesn't players will be running him at every chance they get.
It's still a physical game.
That will never change

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
I think we don't need a ton of toughness. Just one LW who is tough but can play with Matthews and is responsible enough to play those minutes. Then the make up of the team would have more balance.

His name is Zack Hyman

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
I think we miss Hyman more than most people thought we would. He's not exactly afraid to get physical or get into a fight. He may not be exactly what the Leafs seem to be missing, but he's certainly going to help out.

i agree he is missed but as a whole there is no one thats on the roster that puts fear into the other team. Muzzin isn’t a frequent flyer and the others who do throw hits are on the smaller side all of whom will not drop the mits

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I would honestly be okay if they just filled out the edges of you roster with more gritty guys (4th line RW, 3Rd Pair RHD). They just need some players who have the physical push back for when teams want to bully the leafs. The leafs are by no means a “small” team, it’s more the mentality of the team. A few guys could help contribute to that.

I like Josh Brown from Florida as a big, mean lower pairing guy.
In terms of up front, someone like Sabourin but with more NHL experience and frankly better (Maybe call up G. Wilson)
With all the injuries I'm surprised Wilson hasn't gotten a look.
Timashov-Gauthier-Wilson
When healthy we don't have the room really without a trade though.
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore

It's a nice lineup but still soft. A skill guy is going to have to go for someone mean. As good as Johnsson has been for us, I can't help but feel like I remember Matthews-Nylander being better when Hyman was their other winger. Maybe a guy like Crouse or Ritchie or Coleman could be had for Johnsson in that spot. I really like Johnsson, but something has to be shaken here sooner or later. I just don't know who or where

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
His name is Zack Hyman
I don't touch the Matthews line.

Last year was the first year he noticably had a positive impact on the performance of the line, not just by the eye test but the underlying numbers as well. Tavares and Marner need him more than Matthews and Nylander do.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander must not be seperated unless they really take a nose dive in their play together

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
i agree he is missed but as a whole there is no one thats on the roster that puts fear into the other team. Muzzin isn’t a frequent flyer and the others who do throw hits are on the smaller side all of whom will not drop the mits
I don't necessarily think the Leafs need a guy who can fight regularly, but at least a guy who can stand up for his team mates more and throw the body around a little bit.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Until we get a new GM it won’t happen. Dubas doesn’t get it.. but why would he? He’s never played the game.

Dubas did play hockey, but not at the NHL level. He has scouted. He has worked his way up to GM.

He is as grass roots and as old school as it gets. God forbid someone should use all of the information available to make decisions.

No the Leafs dont need toughness or grit. They need to play defense as a team. The Leafs players need to actually play their positions.

Leafs vs Habs last week for example:
EH_SfNvW4AALfFQ

Goal #1 Habs vs Leafs saturday. 3 Leafs in front. 1 Habs player. Guess who gets to the puck in front of then net for the tap in?

EH_SlZzWkAEd-Zz
Goal #2. Tyson Barrie circled at the bottom of the screen is doing GOD KNOWS WHAT by the boards. There is a turnover in the middle of the ice and the Habs player sends a back hand saucer to the open man for the breakaway.

EH_Sy9MXYAIfxqb

Goal #3. 3 secs into the 3rd period. The puck is dropped and the puck goes back to the defenseman Muzzin, who then loses the race to the puck, Habs player pokes it past him and Barrie (circled #1) is already in front of his man and there is a open break way.

TOUGHNESS/GRIT whatever you want to call it is not going to fix this team. YOU are blind if you think that. All it means is that you are not paying attention to the the breakdowns.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't necessarily think the Leafs need a guy who can fight regularly, but at least a guy who can stand up for his team mates more and throw the body around a little bit.
You'll always find times during the season where things aren't going your way and you need to try and change the momentum.
Banging and crashing is one of the simplest ways to accomplish that.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
The truth is 1 gritty/tough player can be contagious throughout the entire line up, everyone plays a little bigger and everyone stands up for each other a little more. Kadri’s best years were when we had tough guys in the line up and he could do his thing. We’re a team full of confident, cocky, young budding superstars who need that type of safety and influence on the ice

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There is a poll on twitter right now. Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson? I voted no, the majority says yes. Im afraid people see the problem as different than Dubas does.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
There is a poll on twitter right now. Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson? I voted no, the majority says yes. Im afraid people see the problem as different than Dubas does.
I like Willy, but yeah, in a heartbeat. Matty could play the most care free hockey in the world with Wilson on his wing. Everyone would grow a few inches. However I think the Caps definitely see his value and there's no way they would make that deal. We need to try for a cheaper version and get a Nick Ritchie,Lawson Crouse, or Blake Coleman if possible and let them try their hand with some good players. Unfortunately would likely come at the expense of AJ.
Coleman/Crouse/Ritchie-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
I'm a fan of AJ and his tenacious style, but it's just not the same element as those 3 listed would bring. Matty-Willy would be able to do their thing care free knowing they have a body guard on their line that will be able to chip in a few too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Josh Anderson for Nylander + Bracco
Manson + Ritchie for Barrie + Johnsson

Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Matthews Anderson
Ritchie Kerfoot Kapanen

Rielly Manson
Muzzin Ceci

Would certainly make a massive difference in the type of game we could play... as to whether we'd make the trades, or the other sides would... I can't speak to that, but it would certainly give the changes to our team, that people are asking for.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Josh Anderson for Nylander + Bracco
Manson + Ritchie for Barrie + Johnsson

Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Matthews Anderson
Ritchie Kerfoot Kapanen

Rielly Manson
Muzzin Ceci

Would certainly make a massive difference in the type of game we could play... as to whether we'd make the trades, or the other sides would... I can't speak to that, but it would certainly give the changes to our team, that people are asking for.
Anderson + for Willy not the other way around (and I love Anderson)

Reactions: Nylander88

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We are closer to getting the formula right. So I give Dubie credit. The record may not be as good but the team is better than last year. We need a little more toughness with 1 blueliner and 1 winger. Guys that can skate too. And the leadership needs to grow a little more balls. Barrie has been disappointing but I wonder what Babs is doing here. Ceci is better than advertised. Holl is much better than advertised. Dermott is back and will get better with games. If Barrie can play like last years playoffs with Avs we are 1 tough defender away I think. You have to assess personnel and we are flat out better but lacking some toughness. Add a Ferland type with Matty and a upgrade on Ceci a little tougher and we are there.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Coyotes
Jeremy Bracco, Martin Marincin & 2021 3rd
for
Lawson Crouse

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Micheyev - - Kerfoot - - Kapanen
Crouse - - - Gauthier - - - Moore​

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I think we miss Hyman more than most people thought we would. He's not exactly afraid to get physical or get into a fight. He may not be exactly what the Leafs seem to be missing, but he's certainly going to help out.

The Leafs have no players who are truly hard to play against without Hyman in the lineup. Hyman plays an extremely honest game, and he takes no shortcuts. Guys who bring 100% effort and not take shortcuts are hard to play against, because you get nothing free against them. Gauthier is developing into that kind of player as well. Very honest game, also drawing tons of penalties.

People would always crap on Hyman, but they are the same people who don’t understand that you need a mix of players in order to be successful.

You could ask any NHL player who they would rather play against. Nylander or Hyman. The answer is Nylander. Anyone who has played the game knows how much easier the game is, when you have little floaters like Nylander out there, who do not affect the game without the puck. When he doesn’t have the puck you don’t even have to worry about him. Guys like Hyman are always affecting the game in so many ways.

The Leafs need to add legit toughness, but they also need guys who are work horses like Hyman.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
It's his motor he just doesn't stop giving 110 percent and its contagious when you see someone working like that you end up doing it. Like how Malkin didn't want Kessel because he said it was to easy to be lazy when your not being pushed by lesser players.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs - Coyotes
Jeremy Bracco, Martin Marincin & 2021 3rd
for
Lawson Crouse

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Micheyev - - Kerfoot - - Kapanen
Crouse - - - Gauthier - - - Moore​

That's a pretty rich cost, for a $1.5 mil cap hit 4th liner...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad