Its so clear we have to get some grindyness (toughness and thugness)

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Also, part of the reason beside the fact you have to give something to get something...that I've been throwing Johnssons name in the mix, is for 1, to balance salaries, and for 2, he hasn't been using his body as much this year. Not sure whether he's thinking cuz he's on a big boy line he should try and skill around or what, but that's not the game the Matty-Willy combo needs.
Hits:
Johnsson: 9
Mikheyev: 14
Kapanen: 27
Moore: 29
Timashov: 31 (and he's been scratched a handful of games)
That's Johnson's "comparable" company and he's coming up soft. Id just as soon take a Coleman or a Crouse on that top line LW. It's that or you go bigger package with Willy for Anderson +. Maybe a deal like Anderson + Savard for Willy.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Also, part of the reason beside the fact you have to give something to get something...that I've been throwing Johnssons name in the mix, is for 1, to balance salaries, and for 2, he hasn't been using his body as much this year. Not sure whether he's thinking cuz he's on a big boy line he should try and skill around or what, but that's not the game the Matty-Willy combo needs.
Hits:
That's Johnson's "comparable" company and he's coming up soft. Id just as soon take a Coleman or a Crouse on that top line LW. It's that or you go bigger package with Willy for Anderson +. Maybe a deal like Anderson + Savard for Willy.

How long do you think Willie lasts with Torts ? Marner is a better trade option to Columbus IMO.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Is Crouse capable of playing with Matty and Willie ? If so how about a deal around AJ and Crouse ??
I think Crouse would look fine there. He was a great player in junior (yes that doesn't always pan out), and on a poor Yotes team definitely hasn't had a chance with players like Matthews-Nylander. I think it could be a great fit. And definitely a guy who would be strictly puck retrieval for that line, get to the net front to bang in some garbage, and 100% would be punching someone like Dillon in the face for that hit on Matty. A guy like Crouse cleans a lot of that garbage up faster than some think

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
How long do you think Willie lasts with Torts ? Marner is a better trade option to Columbus IMO.
Id want a much bigger return than Anderson and Savard in that case. Watching the Leafs play this year so far, had me more than ok with moving one of Marner or Nylander. We are way too delicate of a team

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is Crouse capable of playing with Matty and Willie ? If so how about a deal around AJ and Crouse ??

I think I'd rather try Korshkov there... already 6'4" 214 lbs, better offensively, and cheaper right now. If that could work, then you move AJ for defensive help.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Id want a much bigger return than Anderson and Savard in that case. Watching the Leafs play this year so far, had me more than ok with moving one of Marner or Nylander. We are way too delicate of a team

Crouse might be the better option than Anderson because he is a LWer and he won't cost us Nylander or Marner.

I would be happy with :

Crouse Matty and Willie
Hyms JT and Mitch
Soup Kerfoot Kappy
Timo Goat Moore

Reactions: Nylander88

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think its crazy talk to think of trading AJ or Kappy. I mean both of them combined make less than Willy.
Aj in particular is a really great contract. He also has produced pretty damn well regardless of what line he is on after a slow start last year.

I put him as a 50-60 point guy over the next 4 years and he is only getting paid 3.4 million a year. UFAs will be getting 8 million next year for 50-55 points (ala Hayes etc)

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Crouse might be the better option than Anderson because he is a LWer and he won't cost us Nylander or Marner.

I would be happy with :

Crouse Matty and Willie
Hyms JT and Mitch
Soup Kerfoot Kappy
Timo Goat Moore
Love that lineup. Crouse could easily be a 20G 20A assist guy in that spot. Which is what Hyman has become and what Johnsson's numbers are around. Yotes would gain a little more offensive upside, and we'd gain more toughness. It's a win win imo.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think its crazy talk to think of trading AJ or Kappy. I mean both of them combined make less than Willy.
I agree and disagree. I just see it as if we trade Willy, what's that Matthews line become? Back to Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen? Or we get let's say Anderson & Savard for Willy, we have Johnsson-Matthews-Anderson? I just find moving Willy you take away Matthews main partner is the issue. Matthews-Nylander and Tavares-Marner are the duo's. They need Hymans on their wings. Which leads us to needing another Hyman type if not meaner, like a Crouse or a Ritchie. I LOVE Johnsson so don't get me wrong, but these are the hard decisions we have to make in a cap world. We trade Nylander I just think that hurts Matthews line big time is all

Last edited:
Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That's a pretty rich cost, for a $1.5 mil cap hit 4th liner...
Bracco for Crouse is not smart. You always lose in that trade. and I like Crouse he is a tough kid to play against. when he played with TK they were always a tough out in tournaments. Bracco has skills that are really really hard to get. Don't forget Gretz struggled/sucked at straight line skating too. But guys who can see the ice and make plays others can't even see are really hard to get. Now Bracco is no Gretz but then again no one is.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think Crouse would look fine there. He was a great player in junior (yes that doesn't always pan out), and on a poor Yotes team definitely hasn't had a chance with players like Matthews-Nylander. I think it could be a great fit. And definitely a guy who would be strictly puck retrieval for that line, get to the net front to bang in some garbage, and 100% would be punching someone like Dillon in the face for that hit on Matty. A guy like Crouse cleans a lot of that garbage up faster than some think
I would target him too but not for Bracco. and for AJ we would need a 1st rounder added.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
It would be so amazing to have Ryan Reaves, good for gauithier though that was good to see but its open season all year long against the dubas leafs.. one guy takes out two of our defensemen in one game because why not

Reactions: Teeder Keon

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Hits:

One other thing about the hit stats...they count hits at home in such a ludicrous way. If one of our players even skates up to a guy and very lightly bumps him...it's counted as a hit. Watch the stats when we are on the road...they are almost non existent.

Also, I think Babs is the one who killed the idea of hitting on our team. Look what he did to nerf Muzzin...the guy would lay out people every 2-3 games...has he even done it once this year? Babs believes in the Lidstrom "Just get in their way" philosophy...it worked for Nik...it will work for you...type attitude. That really doesn't scare anyone going back to retrieve a puck and I firmly believe that Dubas figured that there is no point in getting larger players with less skill if Babs was going to nerf all of them anyway. I am no Dubas lover by any stretch...but his teams have always had a Marchment or Clune type player on the team. He values it...Babs does not. So can you blame Duby for not wasting his time getting BIG players that are going to be told not to hit anyone because it takes them out of the play?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
We need this dude
upload_2019-10-31_16-36-12.jpeg

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
One other thing about the hit stats...they count hits at home in such a ludicrous way. If one of our players even skates up to a guy and very lightly bumps him...it's counted as a hit. Watch the stats when we are on the road...they are almost non existent.

Also, I think Babs is the one who killed the idea of hitting on our team. Look what he did to nerf Muzzin...the guy would lay out people every 2-3 games...has he even done it once this year? Babs believes in the Lidstrom "Just get in their way" philosophy...it worked for Nik...it will work for you...type attitude. That really doesn't scare anyone going back to retrieve a puck and I firmly believe that Dubas figured that there is no point in getting larger players with less skill if Babs was going to nerf all of them anyway. I am no Dubas lover by any stretch...but his teams have always had a Marchment or Clune type player on the team. He values it...Babs does not. So can you blame Duby for not wasting his time getting BIG players that are going to be told not to hit anyone because it takes them out of the play?
Babcock devoloped Nik Kronwall... Dubas is against skill, babcock isnt sold on huge hitters but he's the one who asked and vouched for martin, komarov and polak. He saw the value in toughness and grit on a soft soft team

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 8.33.02 PM.png

Johnsson --> Ritchie & 3rd
Ceci --> Lowry
Tymashov --> Clifford
Kapanen & Marncin --> Zadorov

We add a ton of grit, while still having two skilled guys/line in our top nine and having $2.5 million in cap space to upgrade defence at the deadline

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In that scenario, Marner should be traded before Nylander due to contracts. Nylander can reasonably exceed his $7 million salary, while Marner likely will never reach $11 million in value let alone exceed it.

One example of the dilemma we have with Marner is the fact that his unprecedented salary is based on pure point totals vs Matthews. But you look at the start of this season, Marner's game has been pretty underwhelming, but he's got a crap ton of points. That is to say, he's always going to look good statistically, but it's not a true reflection of his on ice value.
Marner plays PK, doesn’t he?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
i mean should have just kept kadri is that was the issue

colorado was quick to flip barrie for an unproven rookie makar, what does that tell you

They even ate half of Barrie's salary to move him out...who's going to pay Barrie the $8 million per year asking price? Maybe Dubas if he had any cap space left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad