Its so clear we have to get some grindyness (toughness and thugness)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i mean should have just kept kadri is that was the issue

colorado was quick to flip barrie for an unproven rookie makar, what does that tell you

Makar is going to be the next Erik Karlsson. Speaks nothing of Barrie's worth.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
View attachment 271535
Johnsson --> Ritchie & 3rd
Ceci --> Lowry
Tymashov --> Clifford
Kapanen & Marncin --> Zadorov

We add a ton of grit, while still having two skilled guys/line in our top nine and having $2.5 million in cap space to upgrade defence at the deadline
You got a trump huge list there sire. Mayne these is some hard suckas out there we should be gittin. Having even one of theese fools Ritchie, Lowry, Clifford or Zadorov would complete our team. Ritchie is the worst of them, but would serve our rear ends right. Lowry, Clifford or Zadorov would fool kill real hard in toronto. Ritchie too, but he looks like he's always lost with his facial expression. Like that lost lost series was lost.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
You got a trump huge list there sire. Mayne these is some hard suckas out there we should be gittin. Having even one of theese fools Ritchie, Lowry, Clifford or Zadorov would complete our team. Ritchie is the worst of them, but would serve our rear ends right. Lowry, Clifford or Zadorov would fool kill real hard in toronto. Ritchie too, but he looks like he's always lost with his facial expression. Like that lost lost series was lost.

Mouth breather.

edit:

Nylander 2 hits.
Tavares 4 hits (7 pace).
Matthews 5 hits.
Marner 7 hits.

40.5M/year of cap for less combined hits than Kapanen or Moore and almost Goat... Something has to budge. People need to turn it on or someone has to go. This model can’t work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ports

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I was very disappointed we lost Grundstrom and the element he brings (wish it could have been another piece). Still for all this looking outside, there are options like your Korshkovs. For me a lineup spiced with guys like Grundstrom, Korshkov, Hyman, Moore and maybe Marchment is probably where you want to head. Physical, hard players but several of them also have skill.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
i mean should have just kept kadri is that was the issue

colorado was quick to flip barrie for an unproven rookie makar, what does that tell you
Well actually Barrie was good with Colorado mostly because he was able to make plays without getting hit... Colorado was a gritty team so he would rarely get run or else... In Toronto obviously he has to fend for himself but is just too small to deal with being a target, he'd be better suited on a tougher team

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ritchie is strongest man in the league. I am pretty sure he would drop Reaves. There is always value in having the toughest guy in league in your lineup.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ritchie is strongest man in the league. I am pretty sure he would drop Reaves. There is always value in having the toughest guy in league in your lineup.
Love to see Ritchie go with chara to see who is true #1? Reaves can fight don't get me wrong but I am talking about brute power.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I was very disappointed we lost Grundstrom and the element he brings (wish it could have been another piece). Still for all this looking outside, there are options like your Korshkovs. For me a lineup spiced with guys like Grundstrom, Korshkov, Hyman, Moore and maybe Marchment is probably where you want to head. Physical, hard players but several of them also have skill.
Skill, speed and brains are now mandatory. Toughness without them is out. There must an element of Ivan Svensky in this golden age of math based management.

Leafs Nation craves Patrick O'Thuggo and perceive penalty minutes as a strong positive, like the fluke plus minus stat

Moron Man cannot see how giving the other team a strategic advantage is a detriment and insist on the positive aspects of having to kill penalties, especially late in games or in overtime in the playoffs. See Marner in the box enabling Washington score in overtime

It gets worse: teams in the Canadian Branch Plant Division of the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams, such as the Leafs, cannot bet on an equal whistle, especially in the playoffs when the AAUSIHT is seeking a US TV deal and needs to show the American networks that they need not fear an Ottawa Winnipeg cup final.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Skill, speed and brains are now mandatory. Toughness without them is out. There must an element of Ivan Svensky in this golden age of math based management.

Leafs Nation craves Patrick O'Thuggo and perceive penalty minutes as a strong positive, like the fluke plus minus stat

Moron Man cannot see how giving the other team a strategic advantage is a detriment and insist on the positive aspects of having to kill penalties, especially late in games or in overtime in the playoffs. See Marner in the box enabling Washington score in overtime

It gets worse: teams in the Canadian Branch Plant Division of the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams, such as the Leafs, cannot bet on an equal whistle, especially in the playoffs when the AAUSIHT is seeing a US TV deal and needs to show the American networks that they need not fear an Ottawa Winnipeg cup final.

Why do you equate "toughness" with taking penalties?

And why do you ignore that this Leafs team, that's supposedly flush with "skill, speed, and brains" (lol are you kidding?), have consistently drawn the fewest penalties in the league for years now?

Seems like the rest of the league - with their grittier/tougher rosters - are actually out-braining the Leafs with more PP's despite this weird little story you're trying to spin.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

And why do you ignore that this Leafs team, that's supposedly flush with "skill, speed, and brains" (lol are you kidding?), have consistently drawn the fewest penalties in the league for years now?
Because (1) Toughness is penalties, and (2) The Leafs will be in the box unlike the other team in the playoffs. See Game 2 wrestling match and the Leafs getting beaten with folding chairs (which do not hurt when taken on the shoulder, by the way) and sprayed with fire extinguishers while the refs were distracted by the Leafs complaining about non- calls.

The Leafs do not get the benefit of the doubt in the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This peanut butter sandwich is missing some jam coach!

Reactions: Coachcorner

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I was very disappointed in Muzzin and Rielly (especially Muzzin), when they didn't do anything about Matthews head-hit right in front of them. I love Muzzin, but you would think that a tough guy would defend Matthews. I think it might have something to do with Babcock telling them not to fight? That seems silly.

In terms of toughness and physicality, I do think it's time to add a Ritchie/Crouse type player. I have loved the rebuild and progress so far by Shanny, Dubas, Lou, etc. But now's the time to trade a skilled player for a slightly less skilled, but more physical player. Jujher Khaira or Alex Chiass0n are some good targets from Edmonton, and we could probably fleece them anyways.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Timashov - Khaira - Moore

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin -
Barrie
Dermott - Holl

Bolded
: Need to play an aggressive, physical game while the non-bolded are fine the way they are.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Shore , Marincin and a7 th rounder for these guys should do the trick

upload_2019-11-1_9-48-50.jpeg

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Because (1) Toughness is penalties, and (2) The Leafs will be in the box unlike the other team in the playoffs. See Game 2 wrestling match and the Leafs getting beaten with folding chairs (which do not hurt when taken on the shoulder, by the way) and sprayed with fire extinguishers while the refs were distracted by the Leafs complaining about non- calls.

The Leafs do not get the benefit of the doubt in the American Association of US Ice Hockey Teams

Lol I said it before.

All a Ryan Reeves or Tom Wilson is gonna do for us is put us in the penalty box even more for that Bruins PP to dust us off even faster in another matchup.

You can't watch the previous 2 playoff series and think we're under the same rules as them. Ryan Reeves punching Pastrnak in the back of the head won't be coming back for the rest of the series.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Seems like the rest of the league - with their grittier/tougher rosters - are actually out-braining the Leafs with more PP's despite this weird little story you're trying to spin.
To be fair, Toronto is also often near the bottom in penalties against, so not really a valid way to question their "brains".

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Lol I said it before.

All a Ryan Reeves or Tom Wilson is gonna do for us is put us in the penalty box even more for that Bruins PP to dust us off even faster in another matchup.

You can't watch the previous 2 playoff series and think we're under the same rules as them. Ryan Reeves punching Pastrnak in the back of the head won't be coming back for the rest of the series.

Who said anything about Ryan Reaves or Tom Wilson?

Why do people who shamelessly stooge for creampuff hockey always gravitate towards the most extreme of examples in order to prop up their position?

Or in your case, both exaggerate the type of player the Leafs need and then make up a fictional scenario involving said player :laugh:

Reactions: skacore

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Anyone watching the New Jersey - Philly game?

Jack Hughes just got hit on a controversial blind-side hit and went down. Kyle Palmeri, 5'11 185 pound winger, went right after Niskanen and fought him. That's what you want to see from your players for support. You don't need to go find a Ryan Reaves, you need your CURRENT players to care and show it.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Anyone watching the New Jersey - Philly game?

Jack Hughes just got on a controversial blind-side hit and went down. Kyle Palmeri, 5'11 185 pound winger, went right after Niskanen and fought him. That's what you want to see from your players for support. You don't need to go find a Ryan Reaves, you need your CURRENT players to care and show it.
5 years later we are still looking for an identity:
https://www.tsn.ca/head-coach-mike-babcock-says-toronto-maple-leafs-searching-for-identity-1.1390959

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad