Its so clear we have to get some grindyness (toughness and thugness)

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Matthews - Nylander
GRINDER - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
GRINDER - Shore - Gauthier

Kapanen traded for effective third line LW grinder + pick and placed on third line.
Johnsson traded for effective third line LW grinder + pick and placed on fourth line.
Won't happen but it's fun to dream.

Which GRINDERS do you have in mind?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
The Maple Leafs are just experimenting with whom are the best guys for the 4th line again.... every single night almost the lineup changes and 4th liners go the stands or they play. Other fantastic ready nhl teams have a 4th line ready and they go far in the playoffs like Capitals did, Vegas, so many otha great teams. They have the 4th line ready since game 1 and training camp already. That's a shame. A great team should have four lines ready to roll since the beginning. Only if a sucka injures himself then it should go down and change into another player. Or if some sucka is drinking or using etc he can go down and some other fool step up via trade or even from our own organization. It's a real shame this lineup rotation keeps on going. Fantastic hard nosed teams have that same 4th line who knows what to do and everybody has their super role from the start. That's what makes a team mayne.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I anticipate this:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Moore - Gauthier - Korshkov

looks gritty

*Mikheyev moving further up may happen but gotta be careful not to inflate his stats as hes an RFA
*GOAT needs to play with speedy wingers.
*a possible trade coming at the deadline with one of Moore/kapanen/Johnsson moved for a backup G or D

Reactions: Cobra777

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It could get real ugly in Boston. We'll see what tough thugness can do.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It could get real ugly in Boston. We'll see what tough thugness can do.
It could sire. And now we ain't got tavares neither. Tavvy that hard face, y'all know what I'm talkin bout. That stoned face who ain't takin no dirt. We need him too.

But boston will show us how dirty and cheap dastardly they play, hard and heavy, tricks, like trick daddies. They might injure some. Whom will answer? Whom? Who? What?

There, y'all see. I hope our guys like muzzin and etc maybe agostino get dressed? Why not? We need thugs and everybody needs a thug holiday. Imagine what type of destruction and answer kassian reaves wilson ritchie etc would give. So many others as well. We need more fools. They have to understand that soon....

Reactions: Ratboy

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It could sire. And now we ain't got tavares neither. Tavvy that hard face, y'all know what I'm talkin bout. That stoned face who ain't takin no dirt. We need him too.

But boston will show us how dirty and cheap dastardly they play, hard and heavy, tricks, like trick daddies. They might injure some. Whom will answer? Whom? Who? What?

There, y'all see. I hope our guys like muzzin and etc maybe agostino get dressed? Why not? We need thugs and everybody needs a thug holiday. Imagine what type of destruction and answer kassian reaves wilson ritchie etc would give. So many others as well. We need more fools. They have to understand that soon....
I don't know how many times this team has to get bullied on the ice till someone sees it's an issue. We both know it is and the mental /physical strength of our players will be tested against Boston. I already anticipate two losses from them. I'm not saying we need a colton Orr but we need some more grit.. maybe one gritty player per line.

Hockey is still violent and physicality can be used to gain an advantage.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
One could argue each line already has a 2 way grinder, energy type player with some skill

johnsson
Hyman
Moore
Timashov

All these guys will with some jam. what’s lacking is the size of each of these players to be extremely effective except for Hyman who many will argue doesn’t have the skill set

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't know how many times this team has to get bullied on the ice till someone sees it's an issue. We both know it is and the mental /physical strength of our players will be tested against Boston. I already anticipate two losses from them. I'm not saying we need a colton Orr but we need some more grit.. maybe one gritty player per line.

This team is an enigma and I’m still not sure about identity. They talk about it all the time but do nothing about it.

From Babcock on Kerfoot:
"He's way grittier, got more grease to him.

From Marner on Kerfoot:
"He's feisty," observed Marner. "He's got a lot of fight in him. He's a guy who's not afraid to get around the net and he's got a lot of skill so it should be a lot of fun playing with him."

Getting Muzzin:
History suggests Muzzin, after all, will actually hit someone, a mostly forgotten concept on a team largely made up of skill-first finesse players who don’t see the bodycheck as an essential part of an on-ice repertoire.

So very much what is understood as part of hockey isn’t done. Or those in control are waiting for others to do it.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden

bring korshkov up. Im also sick of the lack of penalty drawing of this team. Need a mucker

Reactions: Cobra777 and Ratboy

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden

Well this isnt in Babcock. Babcock prefers more grinders.
We are doubling down on Dubas's all skill hypothesis.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Ratboy

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Well this isnt in Babcock. Babcock prefers more grinders.
We are doubling down on Dubas's all skill hypothesis.
Actually, Babcock would cause a world shortage on lotion and tissue if he could run 4 - 4th lines every night.

He doesn't coach to win. He coaches in an effort to try not to lose. Chasing matchups all game means that the other team always gets to set the tone. Which is why the other team scores first far more often.

He should be coaching proactively, not reactively.

member 300185

We need a team of Eric Lindros's....except without the noggin floggin.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

Denifinitely sire y'all already know. (Especially in the playoffs they would pummle us real hard and kill), also some teams during the .regseason will injure some. But yeah mayne, if we'd had that one intimidating sucka standing there.... just like during the playoff stint with carlyle. That also worked out for us pretty close one it was. We almost beat the bruins then. Not now. But maybe we'll get that one Thug.

Sep 18, 2009
Denifinitely sire y'all already know. (Especially in the playoffs they would pummle us real hard and kill), also some teams during the .regseason will injure some. But yeah mayne, if we'd had that one intimidating sucka standing there.... just like during the playoff stint with carlyle. That also worked out for us pretty close one it was. We almost beat the bruins then. Not now. But maybe we'll get that one Thug.
Just need one mean killer to start

Reactions: Coachcorner

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Getting pushed around in the regular season is embarrassing but not any cause for concern.

Leafs have enough skill to get enough points to make the playoffs.

Not making any moves for toughness for the postseason in February .... well, that would be concerning.

Reactions: Coachcorner

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Getting pushed around in the regular season is embarrassing but not any cause for concern.

Leafs have enough skill to get enough points to make the playoffs.

Not making any moves for toughness for the postseason in February .... well, that would be concerning.
Definitely sire.

It's ridiculous how much G's our team needs........ the evidense was there again tonight. I knew it all before everybody out there. I hope our phonecalls are landing soon because we're trying. But that one smart move is to be made mayne.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Johnsson, Barrie and Nylander have to be dealt for toughness and size.

We need a defensemen that can play top 4 minutes but is a defense first dman that is big, and mobile. He doesn't have to have goal scoring capabilities (pts). He needs to be physical and defense oriented and able to move the puck quickly (Manson or Nurse type). We then need a winger that has size, Skill and toughness (Anderson, Foligno, or Debrusk type).

If the Leafs can somehow get those type of players with getting rid of what I mentioned the team will be more difficult to play against. They will have plenty of skill still with Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Reilly, Micheyev, Dermott BUT you add to grit and skill of Hyman, Kapanen, Muzzin, Ceci and Kerfoot.

One big winger and one big D. Get it done and see how this team turns around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->