Its so clear we have to get some grindyness (toughness and thugness)

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Matthews - Nylander
GRINDER - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
GRINDER - Shore - Gauthier

Kapanen traded for effective third line LW grinder + pick and placed on third line.
Johnsson traded for effective third line LW grinder + pick and placed on fourth line.
Won't happen but it's fun to dream.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Kapanen traded for effective third line LW grinder + pick and placed on third line.
Johnsson traded for effective third line LW grinder + pick and placed on fourth line.

Johnsson is fine. He plays fast and has been surprising gritty in front of the opposition net.

Funny thing with Kapanen is that...he certainly is one of our heaviest forecheckers now that Kadri is gone. We've all seen him throw hard checks using his speed.

But the dude just looks off so far this season. Hasnt been hitting like he did last year

Reactions: unitedstars87

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Marcus Foligno
Wayne Simmons
Greg Pateryn
Blake Coleman
Kevan Miller
Davis Savard (50/50 if he's gonna be available)

Are some players I think we should look at
Definitely sire and I love we be having Hyman back but even that's not enough. Cause he plays in the second line with tavvy and marner. We need that fourth line sucka still, real hard. You got the list there and so many other names have been poppin in and out here also. That list is treal fine and I'ma remind and add a couple of fools here: Ritchie, Reaves, Carrier... these suckas are harder to get, but sometime a sucka has to give up on lil something something. Your list is better though and has the suckas we need. We don't want to move into the playoffs with this squad here so maybe we add at the deadline. The sooner the better though. Lou would, lets see if Dubas does. Lou has already won his.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I actually don’t think you’re wrong. Mikheyev seems like a pretty skilled and versatile player with the intelligence and build to succeed in many situations and could probably thrive in any situation. Mikheyev is the kind of supporting player we need more of.

I suppose I’m just flustered that our $22 million dynamic duo needs a spark when they should be self starting.
me to

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Any deal for Kappy or AJ has to be for a #3/4 Right Handed Muzzin who can be paired with Rielly. This allows us to move Ceci down to our 3rd pair to play with Dermott/Sandin. I'd like to give Agostino a look before I trade for a "grinder" up front.

Reactions: unitedstars87

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Any deal for Kappy or AJ has to be for a #3/4 Right Handed Muzzin who can be paired with Rielly. This allows us to move Ceci down to our 3rd pair to play with Dermott/Sandin. I'd like to give Agostino a look before I trade for a "grinder" up front.

I disagree. I’d gladly trade them for high picks, but that might be more likely on a July 1st once we pay their signing bonus.

Also think Korshkov could be an adequate replacement.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I doubt that toughness will be what holds this team back. I think we’ve got a roster that’s good enough to win and I’ll point to the Penguins as a roster that won with skill instead of toughness. If we fail, it will be because of other reasons.

That said, I will be very, very sad if we lose Muzzin this summer. I don’t think we need toughness to win, but I’ll be damned if it isn’t helpful at the very least. Guys like Hyman who play their guts out and take hits to make plays are necessary and big hitters like Muzzin are very helpful at defending the cycle. Those types of players need to have good skills elsewhere, you can’t play Ben Harpur’s in this league, but you want those attributes in a team. And I do admit to agreeing with Cherry when he rants that nobody on this team fights for each other. I’m pretty sick of Andersen getting run or Tavares getting hit high and nobody goes after the puke who did it. I don’t think that will be what holds us back, but I would like to see more toughness if we could.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I doubt that toughness will be what holds this team back. I think we’ve got a roster that’s good enough to win and I’ll point to the Penguins as a roster that won with skill instead of toughness. If we fail, it will be because of other reasons.

That said, I will be very, very sad if we lose Muzzin this summer. I don’t think we need toughness to win, but I’ll be damned if it isn’t helpful at the very least. Guys like Hyman who play their guts out and take hits to make plays are necessary and big hitters like Muzzin are very helpful at defending the cycle. Those types of players need to have good skills elsewhere, you can’t play Ben Harpur’s in this league, but you want those attributes in a team. And I do admit to agreeing with Cherry when he rants that nobody on this team fights for each other. I’m pretty sick of Andersen getting run or Tavares getting hit high and nobody goes after the puke who did it. I don’t think that will be what holds us back, but I would like to see more toughness if we could.

I don’t think Pittsburgh is a good example because Malkin, Crosby and even Letang are tough players. Crosby just fought the other day, standing up for Guentzel after a head shot.

I’m not even saying that you have to fight to be considered tough but you would never see that from the Leaf’s star players. I’m not even saying I’d want them to but they don’t battle like Crosby or Malkin.

We’ve heard for years that the league is getting away from fighting and skill will thrive, yet nobody told the refs this. Teams have been taking too many liberties with this team the last couple of years, without consequences.

We may think that toughness isn’t needed but you better believe that other teams believe that the Leafs are (for lack of a better term) soft. That can definitely hamper a team psychologically.

I’m not even sure what the solution is. I certainly don’t want goons taking up space on this team and tough players that can actually play are hard to come by.

The number one thing this team can do to help off-set this toughness “problem” is to have a killer PP. Once teams realize that the Leaf’s PP is lethal, they may back off a bit. Of course, with the way the reffing has been in the NHL recently, this may not even work. I can totally see the Leafs dominating on the PP and then receiving fewer calls.

Reactions: Carltons Cup

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I disagree. I’d gladly trade them for high picks, but that might be more likely on a July 1st once we pay their signing bonus.

Korshkov hit the ground running with the marlies, I expect he’ll get a call up at some point this season. Give Sheldon Keefe a couple months to work with him and the leafs have got themselves a power forward.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Korshkov hit the ground running with the marlies, I expect he’ll get a call up at some point this season. Give Sheldon Keefe a couple months to work with him and the leafs have got themselves a power forward.

Engvall and Korshkov, along with Aberg look like they were ready for the start of their seasons.

Engvall 6'5", 214 lbs. might not be physical first, but I thought he used his size well in games I've seen (preseason both years).
Korshkov 6'4", 214 lbs. also brings size.

You don't have to drive players through the boards, just using your size can influence how much space the other team gets.

Gauthier, Engvall, Korshkov would be intersting.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don’t think Pittsburgh is a good example because Malkin, Crosby and even Letang are tough players. Crosby just fought the other day, standing up for Guentzel after a head shot.

I’m not even saying that you have to fight to be considered tough but you would never see that from the Leaf’s star players. I’m not even saying I’d want them to but they don’t battle like Crosby or Malkin.

We’ve heard for years that the league is getting away from fighting and skill will thrive, yet nobody told the refs this. Teams have been taking too many liberties with this team the last couple of years, without consequences.

We may think that toughness isn’t needed but you better believe that other teams believe that the Leafs are (for lack of a better term) soft. That can definitely hamper a team psychologically.

I’m not even sure what the solution is. I certainly don’t want goons taking up space on this team and tough players that can actually play are hard to come by.

The number one thing this team can do to help off-set this toughness “problem” is to have a killer PP. Once teams realize that the Leaf’s PP is lethal, they may back off a bit. Of course, with the way the reffing has been in the NHL recently, this may not even work. I can totally see the Leafs dominating on the PP and then receiving fewer calls.
Excellent post!

I think you’re absolutely right about the referees being hesitant to make calls on marginal plays. We saw it last year and there’s not much you can do. Whistles go away even more in the playoffs and the Leafs have to be able to play a harder game. Trevor Moore is 5’10 and he can do it without fighting. They need more of that attitude or a few more players willing to play that way.

Kadri -> Kerfoot
Zaitsev-> Ceci/Barrie

Kadri had balls of steel and while Zaitsev never fought, he finished checks, slashed and cross-checked.

They’re probably a more skilled this year but they’ve taken out a key component that was too small to begin with.

Not an easy fix when you’re up at the cap and 3 out of the top 4 D expiring need raises.

Reactions: The Examiner

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Hope you are happy with getting your "grit"
If you’re referring to Gravel for Sandin, that’s about preserving Sandin. He’s struggled a little of late and could probably benefit from a little bit more time as the smartest player on the ice with the Marlies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

We are in it to win it. Picks are not going to help unless you in-turn move them. Even so, not sure how high a pick we could get get Kappy or AJ.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
If you’re referring to Gravel for Sandin, that’s about preserving Sandin. He’s struggled a little of late and could probably benefit from a little bit more time as the smartest player on the ice with the Marlies.

I keep hearing people say Sandin struggled a bit as if the entire defense hasn't struggled a bit along with him.

Not targeting you or anything, just sometime I keep seeing.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hope you are happy with getting your "grit"
That kind of “grit” makes no difference.
Our issues revolve around checking and it must be done by everyone.
The purpose of body checking is to separate man from the puck, get in behind your opponent and forces them to battle harder down low and on the wall.
It is not to start fights or put people into the 3rd row.
It is a necessary tactic in a game that uses skill and body.
if a 5 man unit is not doing that, you lose more often than not come playoff time.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I keep hearing people say Sandin struggled a bit as if the entire defense hasn't struggled a bit along with him.

Not targeting you or anything, just sometime I keep seeing.
For sure, and he hasn’t been the worst of them but he also has the most to gain from dominating the AHL for a little longer. Physically he’s still immature and he needs to improve self preservation. The Abdelkader was one of a couple hard ones you want to see him avoid.

I give him a few months being the smartest player on the ice and a few months to get stronger. He’s going to be an excellent player.

Reactions: Leafidelity

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Great coaches (in any sport) adjust in game to try and find a solution. Babcock pulls Andersen after 7 go in. No real changes to the lines. Try anything. Put Moore with Tavares and Marner. Put Kapanen on the third line with Kerfoot and Mikheyev. If He doesn't have the attention of the room, give Keefe a shot.

Guess Babcock was listening.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Or kap and Johnsson and a D for a number one defenseman. Of your choice almost.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

This is definitely a team problem. And the way the roster is built, you can understand why there is no response when something happens.

The thing that I don't understand is why no one does anything if something were to happen.

Here's a perfect example: Take a look at the 2 times Matthews has taken bad hits that caused him to miss time.

Jake Dotchin sticks his knee out when Matthews is entering the zone. Not 1 player on the ice does a thing about it. Gardiner crosschecks Namestnikov who had nothing to do with the play anyways.

Kronwall decks Matthews. Rielly sees this and comes to his rescue, but nothing really happens to Kronwall or anyone else on the Wings. It's just a small scrum & they move on.

You don't have to get goons, but they need to find a guy that can ride shotgun with the line & make sure that no one is going to go after Matthews like that. Find a guy like Boone Jenner who can play, but also has the ability to stir it up. Even Adam Lowry & Miles Wood could be those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad