Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
It’s crazy how badly they missed on so many European’s for so many years.

Crus-Rydberg also amounted to nothing.

How do you not even hit on one Swede. They’re everywhere in the NHL.

I think a lot of it had to do with the low scouting budgets the Islanders had during that time period. When you only have 9 or 10 scouts total, there's not a lot of time for in depth Euro scouting. I am pretty sure at least 75% of our Euro scouting was done at the WJCs.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
All guys that people piled on snow for not signing, Robbie Russo was another. I don’t think snow did good job but sometimes particularly with these types of prospects he made the right decision not to sign. Perhaps it was his greatest strength

How about Jared Spurgeon, Griffin Reinhart and too many top 5 misses to count?
Snow was awful. End of story.
I guess you're saying all of his moves weren't terrible. That says something, doesn't it?
Give a monkey a typewriter and eventually he'll type you a word.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
How about Jared Spurgeon, Griffin Reinhart and too many top 5 misses to count?
Snow was awful. End of story.
I guess you're saying all of his moves weren't terrible. That says something, doesn't it?
Give a monkey a typewriter and eventually he'll type you a word.
I think I was defending Snow a bit I watch a lot of sountiger games and while I’m no seasoned talent evaluator there are four defenseman he drafted Toews, Van de sompel, wotherspoon and Aho who I believe will all be NHL defensemen. I’m not debating he needed to go it was time but he did leave parting gift of new age puck moving defensemen in organization. None will be stars but Toews and Aho can be 2nd pair guys and Van de sompel is very good on power play and wotherspoon is just solid like a much better skating and physical play version of Pelech

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
How do our prospect savvy posters rank Toews, MVS, Aho, and Wotherspoon?

Other than addressing our gaping hole at center via draft and free agency, the need for a legit top pairing upside LHD in the system is our next glaring problem.

Toews has promise, but none of these kids project to be a stud or have that upside. We need a left handed Dobson level d-man, I hope we can add one in this year's draft. Maybe we can nab one later in the 1st if we have multiple picks.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Other than addressing our gaping hole at center via draft and free agency, the need for a legit top pairing upside LHD in the system is our next glaring problem.

Toews has promise, but none of these kids project to be a stud or have that upside. We need a left handed Dobson level d-man, I hope we can add one in this year's draft. Maybe we can nab one later in the 1st if we have multiple picks.

Let's not forget goaltending. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Sorokin but our dreams have been crushed before with goalie prospects. Maybe Skarek or Soderstrom will surprise us. Hopefully we'll score on one of them. I'd hate to waste prospects and top salary for an established star goalie.
The last handful of prospects includes Koskinen, Nilsson, McAdams and Williams. Thanks Garth.
Wasn't he a goalie? You'd think that would've been his one hidden scouting talent.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Let's not forget goaltending. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Sorokin but our dreams have been crushed before with goalie prospects. Maybe Skarek or Soderstrom will surprise us. Hopefully we'll score on one of them. I'd hate to waste prospects and top salary for an established star goalie.
The last handful of prospects includes Koskinen, Nilsson, McAdams and Williams. Thanks Garth.
Wasn't he a goalie? You'd think that would've been his one hidden scouting talent.

I didn't forget goaltending, Sorokin is already in the system as well as Skarek and Soderstrom. They are all in house options going forward.

Our long term #2C and potential top pairing LHD are not currently in the organization.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm bad at the ELC stuff, but if Sorokin's season ends before the Isles season, could he come over here and burn the last year of his ELC and then the Isles can sign him to a contract that will enable him to buy himself out in Russia?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm bad at the ELC stuff, but if Sorokin's season ends before the Isles season, could he come over here and burn the last year of his ELC and then the Isles can sign him to a contract that will enable him to buy himself out in Russia?
I do not think be can come over and play for the isles, until after he has bought out his KHL contract or have it run out after the 2019-2020 season.

Reactions: doublechili

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
All guys that people piled on snow for not signing, Robbie Russo was another. I don’t think snow did good job but sometimes particularly with these types of prospects he made the right decision not to sign. Perhaps it was his greatest strength
This is so true. However, the Spurgeon ordeal and the Nino fiasco makes up for it then some.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I do not think be can come over and play for the isles, until after he has bought out his KHL contract or have it run out after the 2019-2020 season.
Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks. :)

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
How do our prospect savvy posters rank Toews, MVS, Aho, and Wotherspoon?
Toews is one, Aho is two, Wotherspoon is three and Van De Sompel is four. Toews and Aho can be a 3 or 4 at NHL level while the other two are probably third pair guys. Van De Sompel is really good on PP and is a great skater maybe a notch below Leddy but plays a similar style. Wotherspoon is just solid I have said before a much better skating and more physical version of Pelech. Rathgeb also has ability is a good skater, good shot and likes to hit he just needs one of the other guys to get called up to get in lineup on regular basis.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

scott99

May 13, 2005
Toews, Wotherspoon, Aho, MVS

Much higher on Wotherspoon than most here, because he plays an NHL-style game already. It's also just much easier to be a 6'2" defender than it is to be 5'10"
I also like Wotherspoon. Underrated defensive prospect who isn't afraid to hit, despite not being overly big. He's 6'2", but only 180. One he fills out, he might be a good 3rd pairing guy. Has sneaky offensive ability as well. Liked what I've seen from him at the Prospects Scrimmages too.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I also like Wotherspoon. Underrated defensive prospect who isn't afraid to hit, despite not being overly big. He's 6'2", but only 180. One he fills out, he might be a good 3rd pairing guy. Has sneaky offensive ability as well. Liked what I've seen from him at the Prospects Scrimmages too.
His brother is older and listed anywhere from 6'2 210 - 225 so perhaps there's hope that Parker puts on some weight as he ages. I've never seen him play other than the occasional highlight but a physical defenseman who can score some points sounds pretty much up our alley. Anyone's alley really.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Wall-E left BC?

FWIW, the official blue check mark account of the Tri City Storm liked and retweeted the tweet.

interesting. do the same rules apply to USHL as college? does this mean that Wahlstrom can sign with the Isles this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad